2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

20 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

living in Jersey in 2003 has to be like a top-10 pairing of home state and time period ever

*guy in a Scott Gomez sweather screaming  drunkenly about Operation Iraqi Freedom into a Nokia 3200 from the cab of his 4runner while a Shell employee fills the gas tank*

• LOL 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup champion again.

I was rooting for whoever would cause the most gatekeeping-fueled outrage among the hard traditionalist sect of the hockey fandom, and boy did I get it. The more these people rage about it, the more I'm starting to come around and like Vegas again. To play off the lyrics of a song I have unwillingly heard too many times - rooting for the anti-hero wasn't exhausting at all.

EDIT: I know they did my boy wrong, but I had to break out the Fleury Vegas shirsey today,  somewhat-ironic as it is.

• Like 3

oBIgzrL.png

15 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wish I had worn my Vegas jersey today. It has a Stanley Cup patch and everything, though from the 2018 season.

14 hours ago, tBBP said:

(And like @DG_ThenNowForever, I'm wishing I had my Mark Stone jersey with me right about now...but it'll be waiting for me in my closet when I get back home 😄)

Kept my Stone jersey in the closet because in the two games in the last couple of rounds I took it out, they lost.  

I was in Vegas for Games 1 and 2.  The party on Toshiba Plaza before and during both games was a blast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maz said:

Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup champion again.

I was rooting for whoever would cause the most gatekeeping-fueled outrage among the hard traditionalist sect of the hockey fandom, and boy did I get it. The more these people rage about it, the more I'm starting to come around and like Vegas again. To play off the lyrics of a song I have unwillingly heard too many times - rooting for the anti-hero wasn't exhausting at all.

I mean, I didn't much care at all for how Las Vegas managed to jump out so quickly as a successful team, and I still think it's a fair bit embarrassing they managed to reach the SCF in their very first season, but they've kept up their success since then even as most of the original misfits have come and gone. And while their struggles are of a different and more preferred type compared to, say, the Blue Jackets, there is something about having three successive playoff appearances between 2019-'21 that ended in abject disappointment, be it blowing a 3-1 series lead (and a 3-0 lead in Game 7), or losing consecutive WCF's as a heavy favorite. The Knights between 2018-'22 had a ton in common with the Lightning between 2015-'19 so I can relate. 

Most importantly, they were playing the Panthers in the SCF. There's only one team I would ever root for the Panthers to win against in the playoffs, and that's the Bruins. So this was an easy choice in terms of my preferred winner in this series. The only team from Florida that's ever won the Cup are the Lightning, and I hope that remains true forever.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

Please do elaborate how the NHL rigged it for Vegas.

🙄

Did I say rigged?

I based my comment on the notion that the league (or Bettman) wants hockey in the Sunbelt to succeed. We were getting a champion from that region either way, and I even initially stated my support for both teams.

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Did I say rigged?

I based my comment on the notion that the league (or Bettman) wants hockey in the Sunbelt to succeed. We were getting a champion from that region either way, and I even initially stated my support for both teams.

You didn't say rigged.

I read it that way as well.

It's where I sit.

I don't buy into the 'NHL rigged it for Vegas' nonsense

How do you rig what happened to Boston in games 5-6-7? The 4OT game? Vegas having to go to 2OT vs Winnipeg in a game they damn near blew a 4-1 lead?

Florida trailed with 2 minutes to go against Boston at BOS in game 7........... yeah totally rigged 

if the NHL was rigged, then Boston/Toronto/NY Rangers would have faced Vegas

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Might be time to revoke Seth Rorabaugh’s award voting privileges. After leaving Matthews & McDavid off his Hart ballot last season, he doubled down on the stupidity by giving McDavid a 5th place vote this year. This was the one vote that prevented him from being the unanimous winner. 

He also had Bergeron 4th in the Selke, and omitted Karlsson & Power from his Norris & Calder ballots, respectively. 

https://www.thephwa.com/2023/06/27/phwa-reveals-2023-nhl-awards-ballots/