2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

5 hours ago, rmackman said:

In 1996 it seemed the country was behind the Panthers because:

• Colorado had just left Quebec, so Canadians were mad at them
  • The Year of the Rat was a spectacular story
  • They were just scrappy and fun to watch/nobody on the team you could hate

In 2023, it'll be return of the Panthers vs. the youngest team in the league. I wonder if people will be into Vegas or Florida...or neither. Either way, I'm stoked. LET'S GO CATS! It's great to be an OG fan this year!

Can't see anybody but Vegas fans rooting for the Knights in that situation, given the ridiculous amount of pain and misery Panthers fans have been dealt over the decades.

I know I'm certainly rooting for the Panthers to win; it'd be an incredible, incredible story and such a sweet reward for everybody who's stuck through the pain.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Meh 1

Meanwhile, I fond myself conflicted. On the one hand, it's hard to root against your home [state] team, but on the other ha—aw screw it, I'm pulling for Vegas.

I know one thing: should VGK emerge victorious in this series, the final is gonna be a GOOD one.

EDIT: Aaaannnd the Knights have already put one in the net. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Can't see anybody but Vegas fans rooting for the Knights in that situation, given the ridiculous amount of pain and misery Panthers fans have been dealt over the decades.

I know I'm certainly rooting for the Panthers to win; it'd be an incredible, incredible story and such a sweet reward for everybody who's stuck through the pain.

I think people would cheer against Vegas regardless. I find it amazing how quickly the Knights changed from being the darling upstarts of the league to hated villains. 

13 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I think people would cheer against Vegas regardless. I find it amazing how quickly the Knights changed from being the darling upstarts of the league to hated villains. 

Most fans have been years since a sniff of the Stanley Cup Finals, and to see an upstart new teams just practically walk right to the precipice, not going to have a lot of neutral fan support. This time, also, Florida isn't the 'newer' team. Plus, their finals with Colorado as noted above, they were the loveable good guys. Colorado was the villain having just moved from Quebec in their first season going for the title.

4 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Most fans have been years since a sniff of the Stanley Cup Finals, and to see an upstart new teams just practically walk right to the precipice, not going to have a lot of neutral fan support. This time, also, Florida isn't the 'newer' team. Plus, their finals with Colorado as noted above, they were the loveable good guys. Colorado was the villain having just moved from Quebec in their first season going for the title.

Yeah the whole 'new' team having immediate success definitely doesn't help. But its beyond that. The players, the fans, the way the team conducts its hockey ops, etc have made them a very dislikable team. And I was commenting less on that and more on how quickly it turned. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Yeah the whole 'new' team having immediate success definitely doesn't help. But its beyond that. The players, the fans, the way the team conducts its hockey ops, etc have made them a very dislikable team. And I was commenting less on that and more on how quickly it turned.

It's primarily an issue of other fanbases seeing them as having not really taken their lumps yet; even if they've missed the playoffs once now, they're still considered Cup favorites basically every season and teams that constantly stick at the top inevitably become more hated than the lovable loser franchise. Even the franchise newer than Vegas has taken their lumps already, Vegas still hasn't.

There's a reason nobody was crying over Florida slowly eviscerating the Bruins' hopes and dreams, but :censored: on Vegas for choking to the Sharks and cheered loudly when they missed the playoffs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

He gave the Flames 6 years of his career, and you could never accuse him of not playing hard while he was there. Players aren’t obligated to spend their entire careers with the team who drafted them, and he at least was respectful & told the Flames his intentions so they could get something back for him. 

He’s the son of a borderline Hall of Fame American player, and happens to be one of the few elite players who is capable of showing some emotion & personality on the ice. This is the kind of thing people complain is missing from the game, so yeah it’s a marketer’s dream. 

Also should be noted there's a pretty decent chance Tkachuk was trying to get away from a coach that everyone else also wanted to be free from. The GM quit when he wasn't allowed to fire the coach and then when they finally did fire him, it was reported afterwards that multiple players rescinded their trade requests.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Not for nothing, but—and I know it's a small sample size but—the couple Stars fans I talked with, chilled with, and stood with in the SRO at Game 2 in Vegas told me they didn't agree with what they heard about Vegas fans, but that in fact they (well they said "y'all"; I didn't have the heart to tell them I wasn't a local 😉) were actually some of the best fans they encountered.

Just for what that's worth.

And to wrap around to what someone said earlier: success breeds envy. Early success breeds even more envy. I think that'd have been true even if the Knights had been stood up in oh, say, Cleveland or something. But that all that's happening in Vegas, a place people 💩 on anyway even without the hockey team (and for good reason, just to be sure), and mostly by (judging by what I see and read up in here) folk living up and outside the sunbelt...I mean, come on. It is what it is at this point.

Aaaannnnd speaking of things being what they are: teams wearing green facing elimination by way of sweep in conference finals in 2023 are now 2-0 in said games (and also 0-2 in in-game implosions in game 3s of said conference finals, as well). And now I ponder whether to commandeer a plane ticket back to Vegas this weekend...

Spoiler

Please—those tickets are dang near the price of my rent; I'm staying my behind right here in Dakotaland this weekend. 😄

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Wellp...that's one way to finish off a series. Nice of Vegas to show some legit offensive pressure off the jump for once. Seemed like they saved all their offensive energy for the first period of this game...that first period may as well have been the boxing equivalent of two first-round knockdowns...the TKO came early in the third. By the fifth goal Dallas was beyond done; the sixth one was just...sheesh. I don't know that even the Stars themselves thought they'd get goose-egged on their own ice tonight, though.

On to the Finals!