2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Seahawks have obvious interest in Anthony Richardson.  Them and the Lions are among the teams that don't need to be pressured to start him right away and if that happens, it might be a good thing for Richardson, as the talk is that he needs some major polishing up.  Sitting behind Geno Smith or Jared Goff for a year would not be a bad thing for him, especially if both take a significant step backwards.  Now Smith did technically sign a three year deal, but the people who cover the NFL say that it's really a one year deal.   The Vikings fit into that category as well but they won't have a shot at Richardson unless they trade up. 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

So he's not willing to be a backup for Mahomes?

It's pretty much all players that play with his playing style or played in his youth camps. And the three rookies this year.

As a Panthers fan, I'd love to see him come back to mentor their draft pick this year. We should've never gotten rid of him in 2019 and this is the first chance we have to upgrade over him. The team would've been 1000x more watchable if we had just kept him until now.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

I'd love to see him come back to mentor their draft pick this year.

Is he really the kind of guy you want to "mentor" someone?  Hasn't he had his share of maturity issues?

I wouldn't want him at all as a backup, because he still thinks he's a starter (and he might be, but that's not the point.)   I don't think you ever want a backup that thinks he should be the starter - could only cause problems.

EDIT:

I've made this point before, but I really think it's true.  "Backup quarterback" is its own separate position, separate from "quarterback".  It's a different role, requires a player to fully be committed to it and be able to balance being "always ready" with knowing that they're in a role that will likely see them spend most of their time helping the starter prep, and never play.

For crappy teams it doesn't really matter much. but al true contenders need a professional "backup quarterback".  The obvious case that I'll point to is Nick Foles.  He was paid a ton of money to come in as Wentz' backup, and it paid off.

It also helps if the "backup quarterback" has at least some similar skills to the starter, so the whole offense doesn't need to be rewritten (again - more important for contenders.)  Eagles had this bite them last year when Hurts went down and Minshew played.  They adjusted the offense, but it still didn't really work.  I'm hoping that Mariota is ready to be a "backup quarterback" since it seems like he would be comfortable in the same offense as Hurts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is he really the kind of guy you want to "mentor" someone?  Hasn't he had his share of maturity issues?

Yes. There's no man I'd rather have mentor our next QB. When Cam played the whole team felt different. He was such a valuable asset to the team and the city's culture and he's a great guy off the field too. He's made mistakes, obviously - the "woman talking about routes" comment isn't something that's really defensible. He's a competitor, through and through, and especially given how the modern QB is so influenced by him Cam would be my first and only choice.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

51 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I wouldn't want him at all as a backup, because he still thinks he's a starter (and he might be, but that's not the point.)   I don't think you ever want a backup that thinks he should be the starter - could only cause problems.

EDIT:

I've made this point before, but I really think it's true.  "Backup quarterback" is its own separate position, separate from "quarterback".  It's a different role, requires a player to fully be committed to it and be able to balance being "always ready" with knowing that they're in a role that will likely see them spend most of their time helping the starter prep, and never play.

For crappy teams it doesn't really matter much. but al true contenders need a professional "backup quarterback".  The obvious case that I'll point to is Nick Foles.  He was paid a ton of money to come in as Wentz' backup, and it paid off.

It also helps if the "backup quarterback" has at least some similar skills to the starter, so the whole offense doesn't need to be rewritten (again - more important for contenders.)  Eagles had this bite them last year when Hurts went down and Minshew played.  They adjusted the offense, but it still didn't really work.  I'm hoping that Mariota is ready to be a "backup quarterback" since it seems like he would be comfortable in the same offense as Hurts.

He says that his goal is to help Jalen get better and he signed with the Eagles because he wants to win.  

23 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

He says that his goal is to help Jalen get better and he signed with the Eagles because he wants to win.  

Well that's a relief.  I was worried that he was going to say that he was going to "Tonya Harding" Jalen so that he could start, and that he didn't care about winning and was just in it for the money.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

EDIT:

He has literally never had one issue with maturity. I don't know what you're referencing. Touchdown dances maybe?

And yeah, by talent alone he is a starter. He took the worst roster in the NFL to a 7-8 record in his last meaningful playing time. His #1 receiver was Jakobi Myers, who would've been cut from some other NFL rosters that season. There is a reason Brady left.

It then took an NFL record free agency class for Mac Jones to even match that this year.

NFL management doesn't like confident players. They like guys that come in, put their head down, and shut up. Same reason Baker Mayfield was released by the Panthers. Sam Darnold is a little weakling that talks to the ground and knows how bad at football he is. He doesn't make Matt Rhule or David Tepper or any other NFL GM or coach feel bad about themselves by having a healthier self-esteem than them.

Case in point: Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, and Geno Smith were starters last season. None of which had had a productive season since 2018. All of them have in common that they talk to the ground and are generally scared of the world. They are totally unthreatening, something NFL teams value more than winning apparently.

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Yes. There's no man I'd rather have mentor our next QB. When Cam played the whole team felt different. He was such a valuable asset to the team and the city's culture and he's a great guy off the field too. He's made mistakes, obviously - the "woman talking about routes" comment isn't something that's really defensible. He's a competitor, through and through, and especially given how the modern QB is so influenced by him Cam would be my first and only choice.

It's hard to explain to someone outside the Panthers fanbase what Cam meant to the team. It always felt like we had a chance to win when he was there. That's never been true any other time in team history. He made people care about Charlotte and every person in Charlotte care about the Panthers. It's a complete disgrace the way his tenure ended. As if it wasn't a bad enough ending releasing him in 2019, they had to bring him back just so Matt Rhule could bench him for one of "his guys" after just 2 games to try and scapegoat his way into keeping his job one more year.

Cam's last home game with the Panthers was a meaningless game where the team had already been eliminated - and after I believe two drives - one of them a scoring drive, no less - he was inexplicably benched for Darnold for the rest of the game - in which they barely passed midfield. I will never understand why he couldn't finish that last home game and will never really forgive anyone involved with the Panthers for letting it happen.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Huh? 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

8 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

He has literally never had one issue with maturity

Well if you're claiming "literally never", then, IIRC, he refused to talk to media after the Super Bowl, placing the burden on his teammates.  He complained to kids about women that can't cook, can't clean, and don't know when to be quiet, and questioned how a female reporter can talk about football.  But maybe I took that out of context... like he claims everything he's ever said has been (despite full context being available on recordings.)

I couldn't care less about TD dances and taunting.  In fact, I think there should be more of that.  But I think it's beyond fair to question his character.... and maturity.  And that would make me question if he's the kind of role model I'd want for a young and impressionable player.

But I don't follow the team, so if people that do disagree, then that's cool - I hope he re-signs there.  But the first time he has to play and gets louder cheers than the starter... then starts going on about how he should start, and the whole thing crumbles down, we'll see how that goes.  

I have no problem with a guy being confident or cocky.  A player should be.  And I love guys that add character and excitement to the game - TO was one of my favorite players.  I just don't think that makes for a good backup QB.

• Like 4

My best friend's sister is a chef at a restaurant in North Carolina (pretty sure it's in the Charlotte area but idk for sure) and she's had Cam Newton visit. According to her, he was nothing but impatient and belligerent toward the wait staff, didn't leave a tip, and was all-around the worst customer she had ever dealt with. I don't know exactly how true that story is, but compared with the other antics he's displayed that BBTV mentioned above, I would not be surprised in the slightest if it was completely true. On the field, I have no problem with cockiness, but if that manifests itself as narcissism off the field, then he's a jerk. 

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

22 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Tim Boyle is one of the worst backup QBs in the league, but the reason he still gets jobs in the NFL as a backup is because he's apparently a fantastic study of game tape in the QB room.  

So in other words, the perfect candidate for future OC or/and HC someday?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

My best friend's sister is a chef at a restaurant in North Carolina (pretty sure it's in the Charlotte area but idk for sure) and she's had Cam Newton visit. According to her, he was nothing but impatient and belligerent toward the wait staff, didn't leave a tip, and was all-around the worst customer she had ever dealt with. I don't know exactly how true that story is, but compared with the other antics he's displayed that BBTV mentioned above, I would not be surprised in the slightest if it was completely true. On the field, I have no problem with cockiness, but if that manifests itself as narcissism off the field, then he's a jerk. 

He seems similar in some ways to Lesean McCoy, who had close to a dozen off-field transgressions that have been well documented, but on-field he seems like a great teammate and someone you could really win with.

Granted, none of Newton's behavior (that I've ever seen) has been illegal - just idiotic - while McCoy should likely have done actual real time for assaulting at least one woman and striking a police officer (but the officers themselves were doing shady stuff and the DA at the time was on the payer's payroll (literally - he had to resign and was indicted on various charges) so they just let "boys be boys".)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tBBP said:

So in other words, the perfect candidate for future OC or/and HC someday?

Exactly.  He'll probably transition into being a QB Coach immediately upon retiring and work his way up.  He's not the only backup in the league that is much better in the film room than he is on the field.  That's the reason guys like Kyle Allen, CJ Beathard, Nate Sudfeld, Nick Mullens, Brandon Allen, Brian Hoyer, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert have all lasted as long as they did.

It's also why Josh McCown lasted as long as he did in the NFL, which resulted in him now being the QB Coach for the Carolina Panthers (which is a much smarter move than if he had been the Texans Head Coach, as Jack Easterby had wanted him to be twice). 

Just now, heavybass said:

Since they paid him 18 million.

Clearly a cash grab since Baltimore is staring down a 6-win season.

But hey, he's got a Pro Bowl QB throwing to him!

Tyler Huntley Named to 2023 Pro Bowl Games Roster

• LOL 1
  • Hate 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

Since they paid him 18 million.

"only" 15M is guaranteed.

Regardless, Odell Beckham clearly has a better agent than Lamar Jackson.