2023 NFL Offseason thread

Cujo

I can't think of a team that wasted generational talent more than the 1992-2021 Green Bay Packers. You had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks along with having so many playmakers on both sides of the ball you'd think they would be more accomplished than two titles in 30 years. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I can't think of a team that wasted generational talent more than the 1992-2021 Green Bay Packers. You had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks along with having so many playmakers on both sides of the ball you'd think they would be more accomplished than two titles in 30 years. 

Not buyin' it, the Packers punched a ticket to the playoffs almost every year, which is about all you can ask of an NFL team. People seriously retconned Favre and Rodgers into bad quarterbacks because they were personally annoying. We don't get to pretend that Aaron Rodgers was Actually Bad the whole time and holding back the entire organization just because he does a Barstool-adjacent podcast. Sorry!

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Aaron Rodgers won the MVP two years ago; his second in a row. But there is a point where the talent isn't worth the headache, and that's where he's found himself.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Not buyin' it, the Packers punched a ticket to the playoffs almost every year, which is about all you can ask of an NFL team. People seriously retconned Favre and Rodgers into bad quarterbacks because they were personally annoying. We don't get to pretend that Aaron Rodgers was Actually Bad the whole time and holding back the entire organization just because he does a Barstool-adjacent podcast. Sorry!

I don’t care about what Favre and Rodgers did or said off the field and making the playoffs every year hasn’t stopped people from calling the 91-2005 Braves underachievers. 

Spoiler

Personally, I don’t get people grouping Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre together. Rodgers said and is saying some really stupid :censored: but by and large he’s only screwing himself over. Favre on the other hand pulled some reverse Robin Hood welfare fraud and thousands of people were screwed over by him. I’ll take the kook over the conman any day. 

• Like 1

I thought it was lame when Packers fans disowned Favre and pretended that he was never that good anyway and that Rodgers was the real GOAT, Packers and maybe ever. That's not the way I remembered the Favre years. But now it's happening again, where Rodgers is somehow being framed as an encumbrance to the team. It's a 180 from when it was all the coaches and office men who were the ones making the least of their HoF quarterback.

Me, I'm placing the Packers' underachievement squarely on the shoulders of one man: a Mr. Ron Diertzke of Menomonee Falls. He knows what he did. 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Rodgers backlash the past couple years as it pertains to playoff success is just bizzare to me. Is the fact that someone as talented as him never made it back to the Super Bowl a disappointment ? Yes, absolutely, but also, how many QB's have 3 straight years in the playoffs where they tied the game in the 4th, and then just never got the ball back the rest of the game ?  Like, a lot of the Packers exits aren't really on him, and there isn't a lot more he could do. He could've, and should've been better in 2011, 2021, or even 2020, but Packers defense routinely failed at really helping them at all.

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

1 hour ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

The Rodgers backlash the past couple years as it pertains to playoff success is just bizzare to me. Is the fact that someone as talented as him never made it back to the Super Bowl a disappointment ? Yes, absolutely, but also, how many QB's have 3 straight years in the playoffs where they tied the game in the 4th, and then just never got the ball back the rest of the game ?  Like, a lot of the Packers exits aren't really on him, and there isn't a lot more he could do. He could've, and should've been better in 2011, 2021, or even 2020, but Packers defense routinely failed at really helping them at all.

There's a lot of people through the years - IRL and also on these forums - that say Rodgers > Brady.  Brady would have wone SBs with Rodgers' Packers teams, while Rodgers hangs out with Nick Foles and Trent Dilfer in the one-ring room.  That's not to say Rodgers is trash, because that's ridiculous.  But I don't think that saying he's not the generational legend that some have made him out to be is a "hot take".  He had an outstanding career, but let's be real - Eli Manning won more Super Bowls with less talent.  Eli Manning.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

There's a lot of people through the years - IRL and also on these forums - that say Rodgers > Brady.  Brady would have wone SBs with Rodgers' Packers teams, while Rodgers hangs out with Nick Foles and Trent Dilfer in the one-ring room.  That's not to say Rodgers is trash, because that's ridiculous.  But I don't think that saying he's not the generational legend that some have made him out to be is a "hot take".  He had an outstanding career, but let's be real - Eli Manning won more Super Bowls with less talent.  Eli Manning.

Would Brady have won more rings with those Packers teams ? Maybe, but I mean...just look at the differences in how their defenses performed in 2014 against the Seahawks, and yes Rodgers didn't play great in the game, he was kinda hobbled, but he still did what he needed to do to win, but his defense literally never even gave him a chance in overtime, whereas Brady's defense got a goal line pick. Like, I'm not saying Brady didn't deserve to win that Super Bowl, or that his entire career is luck, because that's kind of weird conversation, but I just don't see how you can say that it comes down to Rodgers as a QB being the reason they didn't win more. From 2011-2016, they had a lot of bad luck, and way too much loyalty to Dom Capers, and sure you can say Rodgers underperformed in 2019 and 2020, but those were kind of team wide disasters, 2021 is really the only one I'd put the loss as a yes, maybe a different QB could've gotten the job done.

And TBH, I don't think saying Rodgers is more talented then Brady, or that you would take Rodgers at his peak over Brady, is really something horribly wrong or silly. I'd say the same for a few other QBs as well, and who knows! Maybe if Rodgers played with defenses that held some of the best offenses ever to 3 points in the post season, twice, 14 years apart, he would've won more. 

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

4 hours ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

I just don't see how you can say that it comes down to Rodgers as a QB being the reason they didn't win more.

I understand why it may come off like I'm saying that, but I'm really not.  It would sound silly and petty to say that Rodgers "held them back."  I don't know that there's more than a couple of QBs that could have done better than him, but the point is that he's revered by many as this god-like figure, yet he simply didn't accomplish what his contemporaries did in similar situations.  He's a first-ballot HOFer and deserves all that goes with that.  But I think it's possible to be at that level and still be overrated.  Like i said, on these very board, some people are adamant that he's either the GOAT or at least above Brady.  I think that take, as well as any take that has him saving the Jets and going out on top, is over the top.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, don't get me wrong - a lot of fans would love for their team to have had the consistent success (winning records, playoff appearances, etc) that the Packers have had.  There's very few teams that have had that, even if it didn't result in more than two NFCCG wins.  So I'm not trying to disparage him or put him down.  Simply making the point that he's not the all-timer of all-timers.

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

Don't forget the most notorious one-ring winner of them all: Mark Rypien... 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||