2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I think Machado was higher even before this extension, but it's worth noting that Bryce Harper is currently 26th in average salary, with no opt-out, and only going to fall every year.  He said he knew this when he signed and didn't really care about being the top money maker, but I didn't realize he'd be down to 26th within 5 years.  Also never thought that I'd ever say that $25M is incredible value, but he's far outperformed his deal already.  I can't think of more than a handful of guys paid more that I'd rather have.

salary source:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/average/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 AM, shstpt1 said:

Speaking of the Pitch Clock, Manny Machado was the first to be in violation for taking too long to get in the box, and started out his at bat 0-1. 

There was also this...

I'm fine with all of it.  Enough of the pitcher contemplating the universe while the batter adjusts everything on his body between every pitch. Get in the box and hit. MLB needed this.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

Can the batter see the clock?

In general it's a good idea and I'm glad they're doing something about all the nonsense that goes on in between pitches, however I think that in certain situations, there's a lot of signs being relayed all around to the batter and runners, and on rare occasions, that could take 8 seconds - I hope there's still a way for occasional time-outs in order to ensure the proper signs are sent and received.

Also

1) MLB umpires in general seem to be pretty lazy, so I don't mind giving them one more thing to monitor, but should the home plate umpire be monitoring a clock (even if he has a vibrating beeper) and making a split-second call right before a potentially 100MPH pitch is hurled towards him?  IDK, maybe it's not any different than what goes on currently, but it seems like a potentially-dangerous distraction.  Maybe they should have someone else monitor it?

2) Games shouldn't end that way.  I dislike different rules for different situations (in all sports) (though I like the ghost-runner rule) but maybe the clocks should be turned off for the 9th and later innings.  Chances are that everyone will develop a quicker rhythm anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Can the batter see the clock?

In general it's a good idea and I'm glad they're doing something about all the nonsense that goes on in between pitches, however I think that in certain situations, there's a lot of signs being relayed all around to the batter and runners, and on rare occasions, that could take 8 seconds - I hope there's still a way for occasional time-outs in order to ensure the proper signs are sent and received.

Also

1) MLB umpires in general seem to be pretty lazy, so I don't mind giving them one more thing to monitor, but should the home plate umpire be monitoring a clock (even if he has a vibrating beeper) and making a split-second call right before a potentially 100MPH pitch is hurled towards him?  IDK, maybe it's not any different than what goes on currently, but it seems like a potentially-dangerous distraction.  Maybe they should have someone else monitor it?

2) Games shouldn't end that way.  I dislike different rules for different situations (in all sports) (though I like the ghost-runner rule) but maybe the clocks should be turned off for the 9th and later innings.  Chances are that everyone will develop a quicker rhythm anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

On the Cardinals broadcast yesterday, they mentioned there's a clock on either side of the batter's eye and I think one by either on-deck circle, I think. And then one directly behind home plate (which I haven't seen, but may just be out of the view of the cameras. They said one is always visible to anywhere on the field.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CDCLT said:

More than happy to see the pitch clock. Time between pitches was at ridiculous levels and if pitchers and batters can't get set in 15 seconds that's on them.

Getting rid of the existential crisis that took place between every pitch is great, but I think 15 seconds looks a little rushed. A 20 second pitch clock seems like the right balance between the game being played at 1.5 speed and watching the grass grow a quarter of an inch between every pitch.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 minutes ago, Unocal said:

Who is most likely to be this year's 85 win team that gets hot for 2 weeks in October?

There's a good chance it's the same as last year's.  The Phillies aren't finishing higher than 3rd in their division, and won't have Harper till around August.  Replacing him with Turner definitely softens the blow, but him coming back is essentially like landing an MVP at the trade deadline so I'd expect the new lineup to be truly gelling by September and potentially get hot towards October.

49 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The Cardinals because it sounds like something they would do.

Cardinals should win over 90 (and the Central). But if you want to look at that division, the Brewers could be an 85-win team if they have injuries to their pitching staff, and then get hot when healthy (although their offense is probably worse than the last 2 years when it wasn't great anyway). Or even the Cubs could potentially reach that threshold.

5 minutes ago, McCall said:

Cardinals should win over 90 (and the Central). But if you want to look at that division, the Brewers could be an 85-win team if they have injuries to their pitching staff, and then get hot when healthy (although their offense is probably worse than the last 2 years when it wasn't great anyway). Or even the Cubs could potentially reach that threshold.

My post was a reference to 2006.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

Who is most likely to be this year's 85 win team that gets hot for 2 weeks in October?

I don't know, but I'll tell you who that team won't be. (Hint: they wear black and yellow...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I don't know, but I'll tell you who that team won't be. (Hint: they wear black and yellow...)

I'm not entirely sure that crew could win 85 games in AAA. In their defense, they'd get 20 less cracks at it in AAA so there's that, I guess.

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg