2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I'm finishing this post on mobile because I just spit on your avatar and threw a battery through my laptop screen.  Please don't call us classless again - it's absolutely not true, you :censored: :censored: son of a :censored:ing :censored:.  

😆

What that that clip doesn't show is that is the second ball that was sent back to the pitcher.  The first one, the umpire threw it back himself rather than give it to Realmuto. If you find the whole sequence, it makes the umpire look even worse.

When the second ball wasn't placed in his glove, he just assumed the umpire was also throwing that one back.  I don't care who the catcher is or what team it is, jabroni-ass small-dick umpires (or referees) like that should be terminated.  

What is as much of a disgrace is the crew chief saying it was warranted and that the plate umpire didn't act hastily.  I know they have to stick up for one another, but jesus - just admit that maybe it could have been handled better.

EDIT: I guess the announcer does mention the previous throw-back, so there is some context there even if it doesn't show the previous throw.

I just assumed Realmuto had eyes on the back of his head.🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm finishing this post on mobile because I just spit on your avatar and threw a battery through my laptop screen.  Please don't call us classless again - it's absolutely not true, you :censored: :censored: son of a :censored:ing :censored:.  

😆

What that that clip doesn't show is that is the second ball that was sent back to the pitcher.  The first one, the umpire threw it back himself rather than give it to Realmuto. If you find the whole sequence, it makes the umpire look even worse.

When the second ball wasn't placed in his glove, he just assumed the umpire was also throwing that one back.  I don't care who the catcher is or what team it is, jabroni-ass small-dick umpires (or referees) like that should be terminated.  

What is as much of a disgrace is the crew chief saying it was warranted and that the plate umpire didn't act hastily.  I know they have to stick up for one another, but jesus - just admit that maybe it could have been handled better.

EDIT: I guess the announcer does mention the previous throw-back, so there is some context there even if it doesn't show the previous throw.

It also doesn’t show the pitcher looking up at the umpire as though he’s looking at the ump to throw it to him

That's another thing about MLB umps: Not only are they completely replicable when it comes to calling balls/strikes/outs, but they are the only official in ANY sport who can eject a player/coach because they "feel like it".  In every other sport on platen freaking earth, there are hard rules on when and how an official can determine an ejection. But in baseball, you can literally have a "my bad" moment like Realmuto did and be punished for it. No review even to see if it was intentional or correct. You're done for the rest of the day simply the ump is a bigtime doucher.

The demotion of MLB umps to ball boy/home plate broom sweeper cannot come soon enough. *middle finger emoji*

6uXNWAo.png

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:

they are the only official in ANY sport who can eject a player/coach because they "feel like it".  In every other sport on platen freaking earth, there are hard rules on when and how an official can determine an ejection.

Not 100% sure on this. I think other officials have a lot of latitude with ejecting personnel, and I'm pretty sure there has to be some mechanism for accountability where tossing a guy just for the fun of it would have some professional consequences. At the very least, I feel like the union would get the fine waived for a "didn't like the way he looked at me" ejection and not really publicize it. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Not 100% sure on this. I think other officials have a lot of latitude with ejecting personnel, and I'm pretty sure there has to be some mechanism for accountability where tossing a guy just for the fun of it would have some professional consequences. At the very least, I feel like the union would get the fine waived for a "didn't like the way he looked at me" ejection and not really publicize it. 

Realmuto wouldn't be fined for this, anyway.

Prediction time?

AL

EAST

1. Toronto (x)

2. NY Yankees (WC)

3. Baltimore

4. Tampa Bay

5. Boston

CENTRAL

1. Chicago (x)

2. Cleveland (WC)

3. Minnesota

4. Kansas City

5. Detroit

WEST

1. Houston (x)

2. Seattle (WC)

3. LA Angels

4. Texas

5. Oakland

NL

EAST

1. NY Mets (x)

2. Atlanta (WC)

3. Philadelphia (WC)

4. Miami

5.  Washington

CENTRAL

1. St. Louis (x)

2. Milwaukee

3. Chicago

4. Pittsburgh

5. Cincinnati

WEST

1. San Diego (x)

2. LA Dodgers (WC)

3. Arizona

4. San Francisco

5. Colorado

ALCS- Toronto over Houston

NLCS- NY Mets over San Diego

WS- Toronto over NY Mets

• LOL 1

sig.png

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

That's another thing about MLB umps: Not only are they completely replicable when it comes to calling balls/strikes/outs, but they are the only official in ANY sport who can eject a player/coach because they "feel like it".  In every other sport on platen freaking earth, there are hard rules on when and how an official can determine an ejection. But in baseball, you can literally have a "my bad" moment like Realmuto did and be punished for it. No review even to see if it was intentional or correct. You're done for the rest of the day simply the ump is a bigtime doucher.

The demotion of MLB umps to ball boy/home plate broom sweeper cannot come soon enough. *middle finger emoji*

Not completely true, an NBA ref can give someone a double technical and ejection just because they don’t like what a player said to them. 

16 hours ago, McCall said:

Realmuto wouldn't be fined for this, anyway.

Isn't there an automatic nominal fine for any ejection, like $500 that just goes right to the pension fund or something? Not like a fine fine that you hear about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

38 minutes ago, Sport said:

Ke'Bryan Hayes just tried to call time, got denied, and then had to jump back in the box and struck out swinging. 

Pitch clock baseball is good. 

it is.  I don't want to watch a Rangers game that is in the 5th inning 3.5 hours after the first pitch.  

• Like 1