2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Down on the farm tonight, the Reds AA club, Chattanooga Lookouts were No Hit by the Angels AA club, Rocket City Trash Pandas. The Trash Pandas lost 7-5 though. All 7 runs came in the same inning off of 5 walks, 4 hit batters, an error and a wild pitch.

"You can't predict baseball, Suzyn"

And the Rays are the 1st team to start...

8-0 for the 1st time since 2003 Royals

8-0 while winning those games by 4 or more runs for the 1st time since the 1939 Yankees who did it in their first 10 games

8-0 with a run differential of 46 for the 1st time since the 1884 St. Louis Gothams (+68) and New York Gothams (+48)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

That “impending weather” turned out to be a picture-perfect 80-degree sunny day. 

The rescheduled date of Friday was a chilly-windy-cloudy 55 degree day.  Sure glad they made that decision 😂 and ruined half of people’s plans. 

Was reading about the impact of the new scheduling when it comes to rainouts, and they really can’t have any since teams don’t visit each other as much anymore so doing it on a future off day when they’re back in town, or a future double header just won’t work in most cases. 

Also, the home team controls rainouts for division-games only… through the midpoint of the season. MLB controls everything else - 85% of the games. So expect to sit through a lot of delays, and players will be playing in poor conditions because of the new format. 

Is that new / where does it say that? The rule had always been that the home team had control up until the game began, then it was turned over to the umpires.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

And the Rays are the 1st team to start...

8-0 for the 1st time since 2003 Royals

8-0 while winning those games by 4 or more runs for the 1st time since the 1939 Yankees who did it in their first 10 games

8-0 with a run differential of 46 for the 1st time since the 1884 St. Louis Gothams (+68) and New York Gothams (+48)

Tack on an 11-0 win over Oakland just now to this. Through nine games, more homeruns than runs allowed.  Their HR pace is insane right now.  57 run differential.  9-0 and not a single save opportunity. 

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Is that new / where does it say that? The rule had always been that the home team had control up until the game began, then it was turned over to the umpires.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-mlb-weather-rain-postpone-20230408.html

I don't think it's paywalled. 

EDIT:

Basically, they're allowing teams to make the call when they know the other team is visiting them again to make it up - which is only 1st-half division games... and even then, the division teams only visit twice all year.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-mlb-weather-rain-postpone-20230408.html

I don't think it's paywalled. 

EDIT:

Basically, they're allowing teams to make the call when they know the other team is visiting them again to make it up - which is only 1st-half division games... and even then, the division teams only visit twice all year.

Thanks. I'm just amazed that this hasn't been more widely talked about (or if it has, I've missed it).

It's where I sit.

23 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Thanks. I'm just amazed that this hasn't been more widely talked about (or if it has, I've missed it).

I didn't know either till I read that, but I guess it makes sense.  What was interesting is the acknowledgement that there are teams that are known to have abused the power to postpone games if it benefited their pitching.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I didn't know either till I read that, but I guess it makes sense.  What was interesting is the acknowledgement that there are teams that are known to have abused the power to postpone games if it benefited their pitching.

Cubs famously killed a game against the Brewers in 2017 on a day that was ultimately sunny to protect their pen.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-cubs/brewers-throw-major-shade-cubs-after-saturdays-rainout-decision

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Some MLB teams (ARI, MIL, MIN, TEX) extend beer sales in reaction to shorter games

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36166936/some-mlb-teams-extend-beer-sales-reaction-shorter-games

it’s good not only for fans, but also for hourly workers who are making less due to the shorter games. The 7th-inning beer cutoff likely didn’t have any effect on fan behavior during or after games, but it did allow those employees time to do their shut-down activities and get out of there at a decent time. Now they’re losing an hour or more of wages, so I’m sure they’ll welcome serving till the end then doing their cleanup/shut-down. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I would've been under the impression that beer sales were cut after the 7th inning to allow for some people to sober up before leaving the ballpark (otherwise, why do they cut them at all, and instead sell them for the entire length of the game?). I must be under the wrong impression, because extending beer sales through 8 innings instead would be a complete contradiction of that.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I would've been under the impression that beer sales were cut after the 7th inning to allow for some people to sober up before leaving the ballpark (otherwise, why do they cut them at all, and instead sell them for the entire length of the game?). I must be under the wrong impression, because extending beer sales through 8 innings instead would be a complete contradiction of that.

I think that was what was said, but the reality is people aren't going to sober up in 2 innings, and they're just going to drink in the parking lot or nearby bars or something.  I honestly don't think it had any impact.

It also stank for people who use mass transit or walk, to be subject to restrictions supposedly put in place because some animals can't restrain themselves from getting hammered before driving.

I'm tired of hearing about exit velocity and launch angle on every single home run. FFS, not everything needs to be examined through the analytics lens.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I'm tired of hearing about exit velocity and launch angle on every single home run. FFS, not everything needs to be examined through the analytics lens.

"According to MLB StatCast..."

parks and rec computer GIF

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

Wasn't that a policy enforced by George Steinbrenner when he bought the team? I know it applied to the players, but I don't know if it was for everyone employed by the Yankees.

I guess he wanted them to all look like clean cut, 1950's gentlemen.

• Meh 1