2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

On 6/1/2023 at 9:37 AM, Gary said:

Speaking of Central Divisions, it’s June 1st and the Tigers who are 26-28 are 2 games back from the Twins. If the Tigers play the way in May. They could be up in the division. Just amazing how bad the division is at the moment.

Both Central divisions have been very subpar in the past several years. I don't know why most of the teams from the Midwest can't compete, but I think for some of them, it's just for a lack of trying.

It makes me wish teams like the Orioles were in the AL Central.

Least-surprising news ever.  I doubt they even got much of an insurance policy on his contract given his history.

If I was a legit MLB pitching prospect, I'd get voluntary TJ surgery at 19 or 20 just to get it out of the way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Reds finally called up Elly De La Cruz and I haven't been this excited about a Reds prospect since Jay Bruce. 

Look at the shape of this guy. He's like new Darryl Strawberry.

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Sport said:

The Reds finally called up Elly De La Cruz and I haven't been this excited about a Reds prospect since Jay Bruce. 

Look at the shape of this guy. He's like new Darryl Strawberry.

I heard he hit one of the towers above the Reds' logo in BP today.  Holy hell that's a blast.

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, See Red said:

I jumped off the couch when this happened. He tripled in his next at bat too. Couldn't have had a better first two games.

And thank heavens for John Sadak. He's so much better than Thom Brennaman just on a basic talent level, but he also doesn't treat the job like a chore or birthright. His enthusiasm is genuine. He sounds like grown up Smalls narrating The Sandlot (huge compliment) and he's been having the time of his life the past few weeks. 

Also, the Reds have won the last two games after trailing 8-3 and last night 6-2. Here's Will Benson's first career home run to walk it off. 

Fun things are starting to happen in Cincinnati again and Christian Encarnacion-Strand isn't even on the big league club yet (he's hitting .352/.408/.716 with 15 home runs this season in AAA). 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The question, even this early, is - will they be able to keep him?  Or is this another situation of a team developing a potential star just for some other team to reap the benefits.  I hope they can keep him - baseball is more interesting when more teams are in the mix.  Also can't wait to see Christian Encarnacion-Strand's jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, Sport said:

I jumped off the couch when this happened. He tripled in his next at bat too. Couldn't have had a better first two games.

And thank heavens for John Sadak. He's so much better than Thom Brennaman just on a basic talent level, but he also doesn't treat the job like a chore or birthright. His enthusiasm is genuine. He sounds like grown up Smalls narrating The Sandlot (huge compliment) and he's been having the time of his life the past few weeks. 

Also, the Reds have won the last two games after trailing 8-3 and last night 6-2. Here's Will Benson's first career home run to walk it off. 

Fun things are starting to happen in Cincinnati again and Christian Encarnacion-Strand isn't even on the big league club yet (he's hitting .352/.408/.716 with 15 home runs this season in AAA). 

He looks like he still needs some seasoning at Triple-A. Debuting in Coors Field East can be very misleading. I'd send him back down before making the trip to St. Louis.

Side-eyes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

The question, even this early, is - will they be able to keep him?  Or is this another situation of a team developing a potential star just for some other team to reap the benefits.  I hope they can keep him - baseball is more interesting when more teams are in the mix.  Also can't wait to see Christian Encarnacion-Strand's jersey.

Good question and why I've been skeptical since the re-rebuild began in the 22 offseason. They just gave Hunter Greene a big extension and they have the money to lock up whatever this core ends up being - Every team does, but it's a matter of how much ownership wants to and I don't trust Reds ownership as far as I can throw them in that regard.  Best we can realistically hope for is recreating the 2015 Royals and win a World Series before everyone gets expensive. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know the Reds financial situation but I would imagine it compares favorably to the cheap-ass Rays and TB was able to lock up Wander Franco for 11 years. Wander's contract was 11 years, $182m before he had even accumulated a full year of service.  It seems you have to gamble a bit on the player reaching his potential and give up those early cheap years before arbitration but it's well worth it if it pans out.  Now the Rays have a 22 yo MVP candidate and the MLB's WAR leader locked up through most of his prime for relatively cheap. Braves did the same with Acuna, iirc. 

IUe6Hvh.png

24 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The killing thing is I don't know whether he's full-on playing up the character at this point or straight-up being himself... 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

He's getting paid to be that guy.

Well shoot...you know what?

5bd.jpg

That's the ultimate flip...dude hustled himself into a monetized living meme...for that, I'll give him his 💐

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||