2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

The scoring system is completely out of wack this year.  Rumor is that MLB has told the official scorers to lean more in favor of hitters when it comes to borderline error/hit calls (so that offensive stats will be higher, to push whatever narrative they're trying to sell).

But it's become completely absurd.  I just saw a classic error - where the ball hit the 2B in the glove and he simply didn't squeeze it and it bounced off his glove and into the outfield.  Runner gets to second, and it's ruled a double.  It's a textbook error.

A similar thing happened in the earlier game when Trea Turner (who I'm not sure has actually played or watched baseball before) cost the Phillies 3 runs with a bonehead play (that should have ended the inning, but he messed up and then the next batter homered) that even he admitted should have been scored an error.  Instead, there's 3 earned runs on the pitcher's line, when they should have been unearned.  

I'm not going to lose sleep over scoring, but I'd be really pissed off if I was a pitcher who's stats are inflated due to this push to make it seem like there's more hitting.  John Kruk just joked that Tony Gwynn would hit .600 with the new scoring.  While that's clearly hyperbole, I don't think .400 would be unreachable.

EDIT

Also, these oven-mitt things really need to be regulated.  Idiot rookie Trea Turner was just picked off for the 3rd time this year (because he's apparently brand new to the game and doesn't know how to do literally anything competently) and in the replay, you can see that there's so much room in the oven mitt that it "squishes" as he's diving back.  Technically he was probably safe if they counted the full length of the mitt, but logically he was out by at least an inch (which is what they rightfully called) because there's no way his actual hand was on the base when he was tagged.  In conclusion, Trea Turner blows, and it's actually kinda fun watching him completely melt down.  At this point, I actively root for his failures.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

The scoring system is completely out of wack this year.  Rumor is that MLB has told the official scorers to lean more in favor of hitters when it comes to borderline error/hit calls (so that offensive stats will be higher, to push whatever narrative they're trying to sell).

This is in the Rule Book, so it isn't really anything new.

Rule 9.05(a ) Comment: In applying Rule 9.05(a), the Official Scorer shall always give the batter the benefit of the doubt. A safe course for the Official Scorer to follow is to score a hit when exceptionally good fielding of a ball fails to result in a putout.

It's where I sit.

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

This is in the Rule Book, so it isn't really anything new.

Rule 9.05(a ) Comment: In applying Rule 9.05(a), the Official Scorer shall always give the batter the benefit of the doubt. A safe course for the Official Scorer to follow is to score a hit when exceptionally good fielding of a ball fails to result in a putout.

The bolded part is the problem.  I'm seeing hits called on basic plays where the fielder simply botches it.  I'm looking for a clip of yesterday's Edmundo Sosa botch, which was called a double.  Even giving the batter an overwhelming "benefit of the doubt", it could have been a single and advancement on error.  I heard somewhere that there was some official communication to scorers to give even more "benefit of the doubt" to hitters (though I can't prove that) - but they're giving benefit when there's no doubt.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Happy Brewer fan here.

I still fear the Cardinals,  but Oli is growing on me 😅

You must have been a big Mike Matheny fan too. Cripes. I can’t decide if I want them to get their :censored: together and win like 12 in a row or just put me out of my misery and lose 12 straight.

9 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

You must have been a big Mike Matheny fan too. Cripes. I can’t decide if I want them to get their :censored: together and win like 12 in a row or just put me out of my misery and lose 12 straight.

Anybody who can take a pitch to the face and not go down has to be cheered on.

It seems like Oli needs to go. Maybe the GM as well. 

PS - that use of Cripes almost sounds like you're from Wisconsin 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Anybody who can take a pitch to the face and not go down has to be cheered on.

It seems like Oli needs to go. Maybe the GM as well. 

PS - that use of Cripes almost sounds like you're from Wisconsin 🤣🤣🤣

Mozeliak (President of Baseball Ops) is not going anywhere. Owndership has already said he'll be here through is contract. Not to mention, he's their guy and basically makes the moves they want him to make, to an extent.

48 minutes ago, McCall said:

Mozeliak (President of Baseball Ops) is not going anywhere. Owndership has already said he'll be here through is contract. Not to mention, he's their guy and basically makes the moves they want him to make, to an extent.

How is that arrangement viewed by the average fan?

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

How is that arrangement viewed by the average fan?

This average fan thinks the cardinals management relies too heavily on analytics and a “moneyball” type of approach. They put too much value on sabrmetric-type stats from players who can win lots of games over the course of a long season, but those guys can’t win important games when they really matter. I think the cardinals need to take a long hard look at how they assess talent and value players. I wouldn’t mind seeing a new guy with a fresh perspective take over, but that won’t happen. If/when Mo moves on, the cardinals will promote from within and nothing will change because they’re so far up their own “Cardinal Way” ass.

4 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

They really just need to win three straight... starting right now.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If all goes as planned I'll be at Busch tomorrow night. My first time for this incarnation of the stadium .

Lucky!!! 😄 I pass by the place on the regular—just did again not three whole days ago—but have yet to actually go inside, or even to the pro shop. (Then again, finding enough curb to park a bobtail on that end of downtown ain't the easiest thing in the world.) Maybe sometime next season I may get the chance. Do me a favor: take notes of where the best (read: most affordable yet with the best views are) and report back to me so I can start scheming for 2024.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||