2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

On 7/15/2023 at 8:33 PM, BBTV said:

Also, these oven-mitt things really need to be regulated.  Idiot rookie Trea Turner was just picked off for the 3rd time this year (because he's apparently brand new to the game and doesn't know how to do literally anything competently) and in the replay, you can see that there's so much room in the oven mitt that it "squishes" as he's diving back.  Technically he was probably safe if they counted the full length of the mitt, but logically he was out by at least an inch (which is what they rightfully called) because there's no way his actual hand was on the base when he was tagged.  In conclusion, Trea Turner blows, and it's actually kinda fun watching him completely melt down.  At this point, I actively root for his failures.

I've seen this go the opposite way.  I don't recall the specifics, but a steal attempt against the Orioles earlier this season was called safe when the edge of the oven mitt reached second base an instant before the tag.  There was no way the actual hand was within six inches of the base, but the call was upheld on review.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 7/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Orioles finally in 1st place and they aren’t even playing their best ball

spacer.png

. . . and even more beautiful since Thursday.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 7/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

That’s also the picture of how they’ve been since the all star game. Not terrible but playing sloppy and choppy. 

Without hyperbole, Trea Turner is the worst major-league player I've seen in the past 20 years.  I'm not talking about guys who shouldn't be in the major leagues, or emergency call-up guys, but of all "should be in the major leagues" players, he's absolutely awful.

Another 2-error game with multiple strikeouts and a pop out, and gets thrown out arguing what looked like a legit called third strike.  He's simply awful.  Looks completely lost out there.  I don't get it.  Castellanos admitted that the adjustment from small to big market weighed on him last year, but Turner shouldn't really have that adjustment to make.  

He's a complete loser of a player, a waste of a signing, and he's making management look bad by lobbying to hit near the top of the order when he should really be in the 8 hole.

For all the whining that some players do when they don't get paid, there's jagoffs like Trea Turner who are stealing money.  If there was annual arbitration, he'd be giving back 90% of his salary.

• LOL 2
  • Eyeroll 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Sport said:

The Reds inability to score runs against the Brewers has become a very real problem. 

Thank goodness, since the Brewers were like 1 for 15 with RISP until the walk-off. I think Monasterio was stranded at third 3 or 4 times last night.

It's where I sit.

Fun fact: the Cardinals have blown 24!!!! saves this year. They’re 45-57. If they could have managed not to :censored: the bed half of those games, they would be 57-45. That would put them in first place. Oli sucks and the pitching sucks. I’m looking forward to the trade deadline so I can officially concede the season and move on to my emotionally abusive relationship with the Cowboys.

Glorified AA player Trea Turner finally gets benched, and the Phillies take 2 of 3 from a very good Orioles team.  Hopefully when he plays again, he'll be 8th in the lineup, or if he has any options remaining, playing in AAA.  LOL at anyone who thought this guy had any kind of guts or mental toughness.  Send him to St. Louis where he'd be a star again.

• LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Glorified AA player Trea Turner finally gets benched, and the Phillies take 2 of 3 from a very good Orioles team.  Hopefully when he plays again, he'll be 8th in the lineup, or if he has any options remaining, playing in AAA.  LOL at anyone who thought this guy had any kind of guts or mental toughness.  Send him to St. Louis where he'd be a star again.

Tell the 2019 Nationals if he lacked guts or mental toughness.

5 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Fun fact: the Cardinals have blown 24!!!! saves this year. They’re 45-57. If they could have managed not to :censored: the bed half of those games, they would be 57-45. That would put them in first place. Oli sucks and the pitching sucks. I’m looking forward to the trade deadline so I can officially concede the season and move on to my emotionally abusive relationship with the Cowboys.

We all know STL is going to catch fire in August. 2011, 2019, 2021. They always play their best after the trade deadline.

• LOL 1

7 hours ago, Unocal said:

Tell the 2019 Nationals if he lacked guts or mental toughness.

He did.  I guarantee he never heard his name mentioned as much there as in other places, even in this "soft" age.  He also wasn't making the kind of money that adds pressure to a player.  He's a coward, he's soft, and is just looking forward to an offseason of counting the money he's stealing.  "Oh, I know I went 0-5, but I had some really good at bats."  LOL STFU dude.  Maybe he turns it around, but it'll be too little too late.

If you can't hit anymore, then at least field - and he's statistically among the worst-fielding shortstops in the league, and the worst I've personally seen since the late '90s  / early '00s.  Can't field, can't throw, and makes stupid mental decisions that directly lead to runs.  He's killing the team.

• LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

And the best part is that the Phillies have 10 more seasons with Turner on the roster unless they dump his contract elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure they can't.  He (along with Harper) has full no-trade clause and no opt-out.

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

maybe it's the market and the fans that's the issue.

They've been supportive of him all year (at least in the park).  He didn't start getting audible boos until the past week, and even then it wasn't that bad.  Unless he listens to sports radio - and no athlete should - he hasn't really been treated poorly.

EDIT: one of the sports radio shows was trying to push for him to get a loud ovation to let him know that people are behind him and supportive, like after Alec Bohm was caught saying "I f'ing hate this place" in the middle of a game.  Then he was benched so it didn't happen.