2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

You and @Sport have something to carry y'all for the rest of your [sportsfan] lives...and I'd imagine your fellow Cincinnatian probably won't be able to speak straight for a couple days due to de la Cruz-induced hoarseness. 😄

Between the Reds hot streak, the amazing turnaround of FC Cincinnati, the Joe Burrow era of the Bengals, the Bearcats joining the Big 12, right now is an amazing time for sports in Cincinnati

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

Serious question - why does anyone care about a cycle? Realmuto had one a couple of weeks ago and I don’t get why anyone cared. It’s just a statistical rarity, but not a great feat. Getting 4 HR, or 2HR and 2 singles could be a better use of 4 hits than a cycle. It’s just a “thing that happens” - not like a no-hitter or perfect game, which is an indicator of a dominant performance. 

Also - I wonder how many times a guy could have hit for a cycle if he stopped at 2nd on his 2nd triple, or stopped at 1st on what would have been a double. Or refused to round all the bases on a home run. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Serious question - why does anyone care about a cycle? Realmuto had one a couple of weeks ago and I don’t get why anyone cared. It’s just a statistical rarity, but not a great feat. Getting 4 HR, or 2HR and 2 singles could be a better use of 4 hits than a cycle. It’s just a “thing that happens” - not like a no-hitter or perfect game, which is an indicator of a dominant performance. 

Also - I wonder how many times a guy could have hit for a cycle if he stopped at 2nd on his 2nd triple, or stopped at 1st on what would have been a double. Or refused to round all the bases on a home run. 

When The Debbie Downer of Design Shows Up - Decor To Adore

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

considering how I (currently 35) was only 1 when the Reds last hit for the cycle, and the fact that it was the Reds, a team who has merely just existed with little purpose since they last won a playoff series in 1995, hitting for the cycle was huge.

Signature intentionally left blank

2 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

considering how I (currently 35) was only 1 when the Reds last hit for the cycle, and the fact that it was the Reds, a team who has merely just existed with little purpose since they last won a playoff series in 1995, hitting for the cycle was huge.

But it means literally nothing other than a guy got 4 hits in a game that just randomly happened to be one of each kind. I don’t see how it’s any symbol of pride (or shame in the case where someone doesn’t do it). 

im sure there’s been Reds players with games with more impact than hitting for a cycle. Obviously this kid is great and has a heck of a future in front of him, and this has nothing to do with the Reds specifically, I just don’t get why a “cycle” is anything anyone even cares about for any reason other than it looks neat in a game recap or box score. 

It’s just a random thing that occasionally happens - like if we invented a thing called the “sampler”, where a pitcher has a looking strikeout, swinging strikeout, walk, balk, HBP, pickoff, and a pitch-clock strikeout in the same game. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

If you're playing poker, getting 5 diamonds is good. Getting a 10, J, Q, K, and A of diamonds is far better.

See the difference?

baseball isn’t poker. That’s not even remotely a similar comparison. 

• LOL 1

On 6/24/2023 at 7:46 PM, BBTV said:

Serious question - why does anyone care about a cycle?

Normally I wouldn’t. Like I said last page, “And normally I think the cycle is kind of overrated because it’s mostly an accident. Like a 3 run home run game is a better game than hitting for the cycle.” I’m certain De La Cruz would’ve rather had two home runs, a single, and a double because that’s a better game, but sometimes things are cool just because they are weird and fun and rare. The Reds haven’t had one in 34 years so to say I was there when it finally happened is just one of those cool baseball quirks. In this case, however, it’s a little more impressive than a regular cycle because he needed a triple late in the game and then manufactured one seemingly at will to pull it off. It also plated another run and it was like the ninth incredible thing that happened in that game so the crowd was already in full wild baboon mode. Also would’ve been even better if he hadn’t been thrown trying to steal home right after. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

baseball isn’t poker. That’s not even remotely a similar comparison. 

It's in terms of odds of happening. There's a reason why it's the better hand. 

Is a rarity. The fact 318 no hitters in MLB history and 343 cycles. 

23 perfect games to 18 natural cycles. 10 unnatural cycles. 

If you don't understand that rarity is intriguing in its own right you won't understand most sports statistic accomplishments. 

I saw Tulowitzki's cycle in Colorado and it was hugely cheered by fans. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

If you're playing poker, getting 5 diamonds is good. Getting a 10, J, Q, K, and A of diamonds is far better.

See the difference?

That's a really bad comparison. The odds of a baseball player hitting for the cycle are much, much better than the odds of drawing a royal flush in poker. Like winning $50 on a scratch off ticket vs. hitting the Powerball better. Not to mention, you can hit for the cycle and still lose 25-1. Nothing beats a royal flush. Try again.

BB52Big.jpg

16 hours ago, BBTV said:

Why does anyone care about anything when there's so much content to watch on TikTok?

• LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

See the difference?

This is an awful comparison. A cycle isn’t the best thing that you can do on the field like a royal flush is. Are you really trying to say a cycle is better than 4 home runs?

A cycle is a fluke thing that can be entirely gamed.  Only have a single left? As long as your manager’s behind the decision you can coast into first without trying to stretch out a double. Need the triple?  Blow through a stop sign and take your chances.

VmWIn6B.png

9 minutes ago, LMU said:

A cycle is a fluke thing that can be entirely gamed.  Only have a single left? As long as your manager’s behind the decision you can coast into first without trying to stretch out a double. Need the triple?  Blow through a stop sign and take your chances.

You make it sound so casual.  You've already got a dinger triple and double in a game? Just do it one more time. Show me when someone has dogged a double into a single for the cycle.

Yes it's rare. A fluke even. It's a big event based on its rarity and the fact it takes 4 hits, 3 of them foe extra bases. 

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

This is an awful comparison. A cycle isn’t the best thing that you can do on the field like a royal flush is. Are you really trying to say a cycle is better than 4 home runs?

Was going by odds of having it happen. It's on-par with Perfect Games and No-Hitters when comparing cycles and natural/unnatural cycles. If it were easy to game, the numbers would be much different. Or even to the point that no one would even care about it.

If the argument against a cycle is used, than a triple play is equally as uninteresting as it's a fluke. Many are from players running on a pitch and getting tagged out on a blooper to shortstop, or just bad baserunning.

There's been 733 triple plays in MLB history. Only 13 have been unassisted. Yet somehow that's always a highlight reel play. When that takes perfect conditions to happen: two on, no outs. A cycle can happen with any runners, any outs, any count, and still only happened 343 times.

• Like 1