2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Fans get mad all the time when star players get hurt in spring training -- "shouldn't have been playing him so hard/that day/at all and maybe this wouldn't have happened." Fans are also right to get even more upset when a guy says "well hey this is more important than my actual job." Opinions vary!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/17/2023 at 9:09 AM, floydnimrod said:

March Madness doesn't even have it's own thread here.

And still 0 posts about the actual WBC games that are going on.  It'll be over soon anyways. Enjoy this being the last time you see star MLBers in it.

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2

6uXNWAo.png

9 hours ago, McCall said:

Yeah, a Met and an Astro. Don't really think many non-Met-and-Astro fans are crying over it.😉

Can confirm.

Any Braves playing😆

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/18/2023 at 11:08 PM, Cujo said:

I really wanted to be done with this topic..

The WBC has now taken out two MLB mega stars.

Nobody has ever been injured by a pitch in a spring training game. 

On 3/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Cujo said:

And still 0 posts about the actual WBC games that are going on.  It'll be over soon anyways.

I watched Mexico-Puerto Rico and USA-Venezuela and they were both very entertaining games. I'll be tuning in for the semifinals between Japan and Mexico tonight. I think for the people who've actually watched the games they've had a lot of fun. I don't get complaining about something that you're not being forced to watch. 

On 3/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Cujo said:

Enjoy this being the last time you see star MLBers in it.

Because two guys got injured? How many quotes do you need to see from the actual players saying they love playing in this before you stop trying to do this? This is only going to get bigger and more star players will participate next time.

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCall said:

Said Justin Turner.

This meaningless exhibition game is acceptable to get hurt in, but if he'd been wearing a USA jersey in a meaningless exhibition game we would've had problems.

This is how I found out Justin Turner was on the Red Sox now. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, Sport said:

This meaningless exhibition game is acceptable to get hurt in, but if he'd been wearing a USA jersey in a meaningless exhibition game we would've had problems.

This is how I found out Justin Turner was on the Red Sox now. 

And Austin Nola yesterday..

Juan Soto also strained his oblique in a B team minor league game, talk about a meaningless exhibition.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

And Austin Nola yesterday..

Juan Soto also strained his oblique in a B team minor league game, talk about a meaningless exhibition.

This wouldn't have happened if Nola and Turner were playing for Team USA. 

• LOL 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

If guys get hurt playing in this silly exhibition, are they still paid by their MLB clubs?  Or is it treated like if they get in some reckless accident in the offseason and have to miss time?

Spring training may not mean a lot, but it's at least supervised by the clubs, who have control over pitch counts and playing time.  As a season ticket holder, I'd be pissed if my team gets worse because a guy got hurt in what's essentially a vanity project that has nothing to do with the club.  Also, the Phillies just gave Tre Turner a $300M contract - I think they have a right to say no to him playing.  A player's first professional priority should be to his team.  The team's priority should be to its fans.  This GoBots version of the World Cup should be down on the list.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, BBTV said:

If guys get hurt playing in this silly exhibition, are they still paid by their MLB clubs?  Or is it treated like if they get in some reckless accident in the offseason and have to miss time?

Spring training may not mean a lot, but it's at least supervised by the clubs, who have control over pitch counts and playing time.  As a season ticket holder, I'd be pissed if my team gets worse because a guy got hurt in what's essentially a vanity project that has nothing to do with the club.  Also, the Phillies just gave Tre Turner a $300M contract - I think they have a right to say no to him playing.  A player's first professional priority should be to his team.  The team's priority should be to its fans.  This GoBots version of the World Cup should be down on the list.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/what-happens-to-mlb-contract-if-player-gets-injured-during-wbc/3304908/

This answers a lot of your questions. Salaries for players injured during the WBC will be covered by insurance. Kershaw is not pitching  in the tournament strictly because his insurance was denied. 

edit: Randy Arozarena just robbed a home run in Miami and it was a super fun moment. I think you guys would actually enjoy watching these games if you weren’t too busy being the grumpiest old men. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not grumpy, I just think it's a risk that's not in the fans' or teams' best interests - at least not this close to the season.  if they did it in warm climates in December or something then maybe I'd feel differently.

But yeah that does answer the insurance question.  I wish the fans had some insurance if their star player is hurt while not performing for them.

59 minutes ago, BBTV said:

1. There are pitch limits for each round of the WBC.

2. Most MLB teams make requests or special instructions for their players that the national teams tend to honor.

3. If the Phillies, or any other team, didn't want their players playing, they either wouldn't have signed him/he wouldn't have signed or he'd not be playing. The fact that he is playing means there was a mutual agreement that he would play.

And to your latest post about locations/climates: The games were played in Taichung, Taiwan where the temps were, or are at least currently, around 80 degrees, and 3 domed stadiums, 2 of which are in Phoenix and Miami (Tokyo being the third).

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm not grumpy, I just think it's a risk that's not in the fans' or teams' best interests - at least not this close to the season.  if they did it in warm climates in December or something then maybe I'd feel differently.

But yeah that does answer the insurance question.  I wish the fans had some insurance if their star player is hurt while not performing for them.

But it's ok if they get hurt in Spring Training, like Turner and Nola, correct? Just want to make sure it's clear that a meaningless exhibition game is ok to get hurt in, but playing in a World Tournament for your home country is not ok.

30 minutes ago, McCall said:

But it's ok if they get hurt in Spring Training, like Turner and Nola, correct? Just want to make sure it's clear that a meaningless exhibition game is ok to get hurt in, but playing in a World Tournament for your home country is not ok.

I honestly don't understand how the difference isn't clear.  Spring training is an organized and supervised team activity.  It's no different than a fluke injury during BP before a game.  That happens.  They have to practice to further develop their skills, reduce rust, and get into "baseball shape" to reduce injuries.  They don't need to compete and push themselves in this tournament.  If you polled 30 GMs, I'd wager close to all 30 would say they don't want their guys there (but would look like a-holes if they blocked them.)

I'd say its similar to NHL players in the Olympics, but that's at least the Olympics, and not some fabricated event.

Now, after doing some Googling, it sounds like MLB and MLBPA actually proposed this?  If that's the case, then that changes things a bit.  I'd still prefer for my players to sit out, but if I'm interpreting this correctly and both the league and PA are supporters, then I guess it's harder to argue about it.

Per Wikipedia:

"The World Baseball Classic (WBC) is an international baseball tournament. It was proposed' to the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) by Major League Baseball (MLB), the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), and other professional baseball leagues and their players associations around the world. It is one of the two main senior baseball tournaments sanctioned by the WBSC. The tournament is one of the world's most viewed baseball events."

• Applause 1

:censored: happens. I don’t see the difference because this tournament isn’t more work than they would be doing in camp. It’s just replacing their spring training reps and because they play fewer games in WBC it’s actually probably less work. More strenuous innings for the pitchers, maybe, but they’re gonna have to be full-go in a couple weeks anyway. If a guy is lost for the season because of a spring training injury that’s exactly the same crappy outcome from a fan’s point of view as losing that guy for the season to a WBC injury. Injuries sucks regardless of the how, but the risk of injury is the same. The only difference is people are more accustomed to, and therefore accepting of, injuries that happen within regular spring training.

Score update: This game is GOOD. It was 3-0 Mexico until Japan tied it in the 7th on a three run bomb. Mexico came back and retook the lead in the 8th. 5-3 Mexico in the bottom of the 8th now, but Japan has two on and nobody out. 

edit: 5-4 Mexico. 

PvO6ZWJ.png