2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well I’d have to imagine that it’s trying to sell the jerseys with how fans would actually be wearing them, rather than just hockey players. 

While WE care about socks and breezers most people don’t lol

That's fair. I just have no clue how to gauge a uniform that I haven't seen 70% of when these "reveals" get posted.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I think dark road helmets CAN look okay if there is a strong enough presence of the same colour on their jerseys (ie, the shoulder yokes). If it's a predominantley white jersey (like the Leafs' road) it just looks unbalanced and I don't like it.

I'll see if my theory holds up if/when we see more....

• Like 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I would simplify the arm striping pattern moving forward, but the more I see the Bruins road uniforms for this year, the more I'm actually liking them. Definitely would've said they looked plain to be originally and they may not be as good as their usual road uniform, but on their own these are perfectly good.

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, henburg said:

How can you not love this?

And I DO love it. 😁

But hold up—what's Anthony Duclair doing in San Jose teal???

• LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, henburg said:

How can you not love this?

Its easy not to love it. They look like they're wearing pyjamas and I'm just not a fan of the contrasting helmets. It makes the away team look less 'sleek' and 'pro' in some way. I wish I liked it, but it just doesn't make the away team look better IMO.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Its easy not to love it. They look like they're wearing pyjamas and I'm just not a fan of the contrasting helmets. It makes the away team look less 'sleek' and 'pro' in some way. I wish I liked it, but it just doesn't make the away team look better IMO.

For what it's worth, what can be considered to look "professional" in any sport has become a thing of the past (for example: more monocolor looks and new alternate helmets in American football, no more home/road designations in the NBA, more teams using non-gray jerseys on the road in the MLB).

I don't mind the look, I think colored helmets can look good on the right white sweaters, and I don't really notice anything "less professional" about it other than it's not what the status quo is. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing some triple mismatch here and there on some teams. As an admission, I liked the general look of the uniforms when the Kings wore chrome domes. Sure, it was a bit too flashy, but the color balance worked well, and IMO looked better than white black or white helmets could achieve for the look.

FEfkpI1XoAQEVvF.jpg:large

• Like 3
  • Hurl 2
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

4 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

For what it's worth, what can be considered to look "professional" in any sport has become a thing of the past (for example: more monocolor looks and new alternate helmets in American football, no more home/road designations in the NBA, more teams using non-gray jerseys on the road in the MLB).

I don't mind the look, I think colored helmets can look good on the right white sweaters, and I don't really notice anything "less professional" about it other than it's not what the status quo is. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing some triple mismatch here and there on some teams. As an admission, I liked the general look of the uniforms when the Kings wore chrome domes. Sure, it was a bit too flashy, but the color balance worked well, and IMO looked better than white black or white helmets could achieve for the look.

Hmm yeah quite possibly its a reaction to what I am used to seeing, however I would submit that the visual similarity to minor league/college hockey drives my reaction. Not that this is a good reason why it shouldn't happen, but I don't like it. The balance of colour - while it can work okay some of the time - is too top heavy. It almost makes them look smaller. If 2 or 3 teams did it then thats fine..im just worried a dozen or so teams will jump on it and that will result in a whole lot of subpar looking unis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, henburg said:

I feel like this just makes the black numbers look even more out of place.

I wonder if we'll start to see any teams wearing white helmets with their dark jerseys, USA Hockey style. 

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Horrible take imo. I feel like the NHL is the most "professional"- looking league left. When colored helmets with white jerseys is the most revolutionary development in the NHL's aesthetics, you're talking about a pretty traditional league. And even if "professional" looks were a thing of the past, that's not an excuse to then say "No one else is doing things that make sense, I'll do something completely random as well!"

• Like 1