Austin Bats - MLB Expansion Concept

chestnutz

Howdy y'all! I'm back with another little concept, after coming up with this idea that's so obvious it's stupid. But, the world needs more silly names!

Austin is famous for it's urban bat population, and well, baseball has bats too. If you've seen my concepts before, you know I'm big into mid-century, very simple designs, so that's what I've done here for the Bats. (sidenote: curse the selfish Batman for ruining bat icons for everyone else). 

I went with purple for several reasons. It fits the night/bat theme very well, there's a dearth of it in pro sports, the city is known for it's "violet crown" sunsets, and it would round out Austin sports teams' use of secondary colors (Longhorns - orange, Austin FC - green), adding to it's secondary/weird feel!

The tuscan font fits really well I think, using the same circular cutout shapes as a bats wings, and hitting the southern/Texas aesthetic.

And finally, for the alternate jersey (City edition?), we went with a violet crown theme that could hopefully make for some fun and good looking rivalry matchups with Houston and their famous sunset jersey.

Cheers, thanks for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12
  • Love 9
  • Applause 3
  • WOAH 1

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I love this concept! Your logos are really clever and well done, in particular the roundel and cap “A.” I’m a sucker for any animal themed identity, and I love the double meaning of the team name. I’m also a big fan of the off-white home uniform and the dusty brownish gray color of the road set.

For the baseball bat logo, I would make the “Bats” lettering within the bat white/cream so it reads a little better against the black. And realistically, I don’t think I’d want two purple & black teams in MLB (all the more reason the Rockies should switch to purple and green) but on its own merits, this color scheme works great for your concept. 

43 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I love this concept! Your logos are really clever and well done, in particular the roundel and cap “A.” I’m a sucker for any animal themed identity, and I love the double meaning of the team name. I’m also a big fan of the off-white home uniform and the dusty brownish gray color of the road set.

For the baseball bat logo, I would make the “Bats” lettering within the bat white/cream so it reads a little better against the black. And realistically, I don’t think I’d want two purple & black teams in MLB (all the more reason the Rockies should switch to purple and green) but on its own merits, this color scheme works great for your concept. 

thanks! Love animal brands too and try to mostly do those now that I think about it haha. And I also usually pick cream, I just hate pure white and like the natural look of it in my designs - but also think any team would look better in it! Get what you’re saying about the lack of contrast - hypothetically these designs would be easy to recolored to fit any background or usage, but I just kinda liked the darkness of the purple on black. And who are the Rockies? Colorado has a team? 😉 

21 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

That roundel logo is outstanding, great work all around!

cheers! That was actually the one I was least sure about, but a baseball team needs a roundel!

12 hours ago, Megildur said:

I love this! The style is certainly different than a lot of concepts here, which really adds to its uniqueness. My favorite little detail is the bats crossing the t's in the word marks. Make more of these? Please?

yeah that was a real a-ha moment I thought of early on in my sketching, fits too well to pass up! Thanks a bunch, I do have a big project in this style I’ve been working on and off for a couple years on, hope to share it soon!

10 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

YES. GENIUS. Everything from the name to the colors to the logos.

Put me down for one each of those caps, plus maybe some shirts with the logos on them.

Thank you! Haha I really want to make some hats, and walk around austin making people think “uhh, who?”

• Like 2

spacer.png

I absolutely adore this concept. Your retro style is incredibly charming on its own, but this logo package is absolutely stellar and the colors work super well with each other. Amazing job across the board, easily one of my favorite MLB expansion concepts I've ever seen. Really hope to see more concepts from you soon, I can't get enough of your work.

• Love 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

4 hours ago, johne9109 said:

I LOVE the aesthetic of your concpt. I would love to see more concepts done like this. You're branding here is great as well; logos, colors everything great job

Much appreciated! I stopped doing sports branding projects for a while to focus on illustration, so now I try to incorporate that into my branding stuff. Glad you dig it!

On 4/1/2023 at 8:43 PM, Burgmania said:

Sign me up for merch.  Best use of 'bats' since the CHL's (and now NA3HL's) Austin Ice Bats.

Haha thanks! May end up making some hats some day, we'll see. I don't know if it competes with the beauty that is the Ice Bats logo though.

8 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I absolutely adore this concept. Your retro style is incredibly charming on its own, but this logo package is absolutely stellar and the colors work super well with each other. Amazing job across the board, easily one of my favorite MLB expansion concepts I've ever seen. Really hope to see more concepts from you soon, I can't get enough of your work.

Cheers man, that's so nice to hear. Glad to know there's an audience for this specific era of sports branding haha, mid-century = best century. Got a series in this vein I'll hopefully share soon, but I can only bring myself to work on it like one day a month, so it's uh taken a while lol

• Like 1

spacer.png

10 hours ago, weirdguyace said:

I've been an off-and-on lurker on SportsLogos since about 2008 and the purple ATX on the white home plate and the roundel are two of the slickest designs I've *ever* seen here. Unbelievably cool! Definitely hoping to see more from you.

Thanks so much! Always interested to hear which logos people are most drawn to, since I usually just throw every idea I have at the board and can't edit myself lol. Thanks for comin out of lurking to let me know! Ah man how time flies...I started here in 2007 as well!

spacer.png

Love it, but... is there a way we could see the purple replaced with a brighter green? Like Austin FC?

Otherwise your concept is an awesome mix of classic baseball and 1950s spook show, which is perfect for a team from Austin called the Bats.