2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

I was shocked they wanted to go down looking like that. 

I believe Minnesota and Dallas can co-exist as blue and green teams. The Mavs are the ones that should use a navy with a bright green though. I think they need the modern take more than the Wolves, and the accent of green evokes their skyline.

91222208.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=df5e9f4ce34

I thought this set did a decent job of modernizing the KG-era branding, and I loved the increased emphasis on green. But it suffered from those mid-2000s uniform trends of piping and strange collar designs. What is that strange, black, upside down stealth bomber under the neckline? 

That they kept this design, but eliminated the green, is one of the most mystifying brand decisions I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

What is that strange, black, upside down stealth bomber under the neckline? 

Performance chevron

43 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

That they kept this design, but eliminated the green, is one of the most mystifying brand decisions I've ever seen. 

Right. There were green trees on the shorts and they made the trees grey. Baffling.

The Timberwolves of that time were one of the saddest organizations in all of sports, really about as moribund from 2006-2016 as any team has ever been. It wasn't even fun-bad like when the owner of the Sacramento Kings posited that they could play four-on-five with one guy waiting at the other end. They just quietly won their 16-24 games a year and that was about it. Ricky Rubio happened at some point, allegedly.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, The_Admiral said:

The Timberwolves of that time were one of the saddest organizations in all of sports, really about as moribund from 2006-2016 as any team has ever been. It wasn't even fun-bad like when the owner of the Sacramento Kings posited that they could play four-on-five with one guy waiting at the other end. They just quietly won their 16-24 games a year and that was about it. Ricky Rubio happened at some point, allegedly.

May I introduce you to the 2009-current Detroit Pistons?

The Pistons having historically bad seasons but still getting owned by the draft lottery is funnier than it should be. Call it karmic retribution for their series of terrible uniform decisions, from the tire-mark ones to just getting rid of the cool straight-across names.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

6 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

Performance chevron

Right. There were green trees on the shorts and they made the trees grey. Baffling.

I barely remember that Kevin Love was once the face of the franchise. It was Love, Rubio and other guys. 

I think Jonny Flynn was the other big name that never panned out. Brandon Roy came out of retirement there for like a week. Kevin Garnett came back and retired. Flip Saunders came back and then died. It was a weird corner of the NBA for sure. Someone from St. Louis Park could probably write a bunch of really good blog posts about it.

24 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

I think Jonny Flynn was the other big name that never panned out. Brandon Roy came out of retirement there for like a week. Kevin Garnett came back and retired. Flip Saunders came back and then died. It was a weird corner of the NBA for sure. Someone from St. Louis Park could probably write a bunch of really good blog posts about it.

My era was the Wolves from 1989 through around 1993-94. Not exactly a blog post, but I did write an essay of that era that was published in the StarTribune last week. 

https://www.startribune.com/the-timberwolves-run-takes-me-back-to-a-day-35-years-ago-with-dad/600368286/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, SantosD_ said:

This is a really good uniform IMO, better than the statements fs

It is very decent. I don't like the stardust side-pattern, though. Give me a geometrical tree pattern in green there and we're good. It doesn't beat a tree trim uniform for the Timberwolves by any means, however.

NBA Finals jersey schedule:

G1 - Celtics white association vs Mavs black city edition

G2 - Celtics black statement vs mavs white association

G3 - Mavs navy statement vs Celtics white association

G4 - Mavs navy statement vs Celtics white association

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 3

2024 NBA Finals Uniform Matchups Released on LockerVision

An extremely disappointing set of matchups for jersey purists such as myself, lol.

https://lockervision.nba.com/

Game 1: 

Celtics (Association/White) vs. Mavericks (City/Black)

Game 2:

Celtics (Statement/Black) vs. Mavericks (Association/White)

Game 3:

Mavericks (Statement/Blue) vs. Celtics (Association/White)

Game 4:

Mavericks (Statement/Blue) vs. Celtics (Association/White)

I was hoping for at least one game where each team wore their 'traditional' Association/Icon sets. I guess that's not happening.

Between ESPN's terrible choices (the new scoreboard graphic, removal of the iconic NBA on ESPN theme), the NBA's terrible choices (plastering YouTube TV ads everywhere, digital ads, no 'Finals' wordmark/trophy on the court), and now these jersey matchups, don't be surprised if the 2024 NBA Finals end up looking and feeling like a regular season game, much like the 2023 Finals.

As a primarily hockey and football fan, it's very jarring to go from the insanely strict playoff uniform regulations that the NHL and NFL impose to the free-for-all of the NBA. 

White at home in the playoffs NEEDS to be enforced. The only NBA Finals that's felt even remotely like a Finals series was the 2022 series where all games featured white at home and the clinching Game 6 was Warriors primary blue vs Celtics primary white. Black at home for the Celtics in this series feels especially disgraceful.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

As a primarily hockey and football fan, it's very jarring to go from the insanely strict playoff uniform regulations that the NHL and NFL impose to the free-for-all of the NBA. 

White at home in the playoffs NEEDS to be enforced. The only NBA Finals that's felt even remotely like a Finals series was the 2022 series where all games featured white at home and the clinching Game 6 was Warriors primary blue vs Celtics primary white. Black at home for the Celtics in this series feels especially disgraceful.

I'd also be open to a soccer-style primary and clash system for the playoffs. Indiana and Cleveland more or less did that - Pacers wore yellow every game and Cavs wore either white or black. As long as it's consistent, I'm fine with color at home.

• Like 2

ExJworW.png

11 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

I'd also be open to a soccer-style primary and clash system for the playoffs. Indiana and Cleveland more or less did that - Pacers wore yellow every game and Cavs wore either white or black. As long as it's consistent, I'm fine with color at home.

I just need each playoff game to be one team in white and one team in color. I'd be fine with color at home (it's what I'm used to in the NHL and NFL) but I need that condition to be satisfied and it has to consistently be either white at home or color at home.

they should really just restrict it to icon and association jerseys for the finals. i give a pass for SOME alterations in the playoffs like the pacers. but you need to wear your core brand when you're playing on the biggest stage aka the finals. i wouldnt even include statement jersey as most teams now have a design thats jarringly different from the first 2 core jerseys.

• Like 7

Does anyone know why both teams so far don't use their Icon uniforms? For the Celtics the green has been their color for so many decades now and the Mavs won the 2011 Championship wearing those same Icon unis. You would think that they would honor history a bit more.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

they should really just restrict it to icon and association jerseys for the finals. i give a pass for SOME alterations in the playoffs like the pacers. but you need to wear your core brand when you're playing on the biggest stage aka the finals. i wouldnt even include statement jersey as most teams now have a design thats jarringly different from the first 2 core jerseys.

Personally, I think  it should be Icon, Association and Statement during the playoffs with the City and Throwbacks off the table. However, the NBA Finals, and maybe the Conference Finals should be purely Icon and Association. I am all for color vs. color matchups though if they clash. 

And, this is a conversation for another time and thread, but I think the City jerseys should be purely for the NBA Cup Games. I could live with that, especially if the league is trying to differentiate the games. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin