2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

Each time I flipped to that Heat Culture game last night, I thought there was a terrible glare from the arena lights on the floor. But it was just the gradient painted inside the key tricking my eyes in a bad/distracting way. 

4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Hopefully this embarrassment makes teams stop putting slogans about how great they are on the uniforms and court. 

Plus, don’t a lot of cultures die when they are heated? 😉

• LOL 1

Other notable things on lockervision. 

The Wolves are using the classic editions as their home set, which I didn’t think was allowed. 

Only four games up, but teams seem to be behaving themselves for the most part. No city uniforms aside from Denver’s 5280 for at least the first four games. 

Not wild about the Knicks wearing their pointless Navys or the Suns in black but it could be way worse. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I'm disappointed the Magic aren't using the throwbacks - Minnesota is so it's definitely allowed. However, I can't really complain since they're not using the city at all.

Both games in Cleveland will be Cavs white/Magic black, in Orlando it's Magic blue/Cavs white, so at least the consistency will be nice. Better than most other series, from what I can tell.

• Like 4

ExJworW.png

18 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

The Wolves are using the classic editions as their home set, which I didn’t think was allowed. 

Not wild about the Knicks wearing their pointless Navys or the Suns in black but it could be way worse. 

11 hours ago, PrimalCookie said:

I'm disappointed the Magic aren't using the throwbacks - Minnesota is so it's definitely allowed. However, I can't really complain since they're not using the city at all.

Both games in Cleveland will be Cavs white/Magic black, in Orlando it's Magic blue/Cavs white, so at least the consistency will be nice.

I'm ok with the Wolves wearing the classics at home in this case instead of their regular whites, since those aren't any better. Would've definitely been nice to see the Magic wear their throwbacks too.

I even forgot there was a navy Knicks uni, that's how pointless and irrelevant it is.

What about the Cavs – so, after they shoved the dark uniforms at home thing down the throat this season, they're all of a sudden wearing white both at home and on the road? I miss the days when the NBA had a professional uniform designation that made sense and instantly indicated the home team so much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dont care said:

The lakers won a championship wearing a jersey they hadn’t wore the year before. Why wouldn’t teams be able to wear what ever they want in the playoffs

Because "doing whatever you want" is not an attribute of a professional context.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, truepg said:

Because "doing whatever you want" is not an attribute of a professional context.

But it’s never been a rule that alts and city uniforms weren’t allowed in the playoffs for the NBA. If it was the nfl then sure you have a point, or even nhl where they have to declare what their home and away uniforms are going to be for the playoffs and only where those.  But the NBA has never had such rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont care said:

But it’s never been a rule that alts and city uniforms weren’t allowed in the playoffs for the NBA. If it was the nfl then sure you have a point, or even nhl where they have to declare what their home and away uniforms are going to be for the playoffs and only where those.  But the NBA has never had such rule.

Maybe there wasn't a strict rule in place (even though I'd argue there was), but the NBA used to have a clear uniform protocol where the home team wore a white (light) uniform, and the visitor wore dark that was always adhered to, apart from just some very few singular exceptions. It not only acted as a professional standard for the league, the way things were done, but foremost was also a direct indicator of which the home team was of the two.

On another note, same applies to shoes. It's a total mess and a clown-show now that they let players wear colors that don't belong to or fully contradict the team brand, as they often do. It was such a nice and refreshing experience taking a glimpse into international level competition just recently, where they wear shoes matching their uniform colors. So professional-looking and stylish.

52 minutes ago, truepg said:

Maybe there wasn't a strict rule in place (even though I'd argue there was), but the NBA used to have a clear uniform protocol where the home team wore a white (light) uniform, and the visitor wore dark that was always adhered to, apart from just some very few singular exceptions. It not only acted as a professional standard for the league, the way things were done, but foremost was also a direct indicator of which the home team was of the two.

On another note, same applies to shoes. It's a total mess and a clown-show now that they let players wear colors that don't belong to or fully contradict the team brand, as they often do. It was such a nice and refreshing experience taking a glimpse into international level competition just recently, where they wear shoes matching their uniform colors. So professional-looking and stylish.

Funny you mention the shoes, I was just recently thinking about how the NBA use to mandate players wore black or white shoes with team colored accents in the 90's. It could only be accented and not full color like it was over the last 15 years or so. This led to the infamous Nike Foamposites worn by Penny Hardaway, they were mostly all blue and the NBA didn't like it, he managed to wear it on court but eventually the NBA saw it.

EXc7tKGU4AErYRH?format=jpg&name=medium

So instead he drew on it in black marker so that it would satisfy the league.

800x_100_w-6448ca8edaa21.jpg

Nike ended up embracing it and made it into a real shoe colorway.

Nike-Penny-Sharpie-Pack-foamposite-one.j

• Like 8

bSLCtu2.png

Well, yeah, the shoes have been such an eyesore and have cheapened the look (alongside the current uniform policy and ever-changing one-and-done alternates) the last few years ever since they allowed to wear any color you want, and the players have taken full advantage of that. I'm not even advocating for only black/dark or white with accents as it used to be with that Hardaway situation, all I'm saying is stick to team colors. There is plenty of room to show individuality and style within those conditions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, truepg said:

Ding ding ding ding! Our whole culture seems to be forgetting this. You see it with NFL players wearing different sock colors across a team. You see it with crap alts that flagrantly disregard teams’ general style and color scheme. In the NBA you can’t even tell which team is which at first glance anymore, which is incredibly bothersome in a league whose uniforms used to be so full of color and personality. 

In every league that has “city edition” uniforms, those should not be allowed in the playoffs. I’m on the fence about throwbacks - Minnesota’s are awfully nice - but, generally, if it isn’t either white or a specific listed team color, it shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs. Yes, I’m grumpy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Ding ding ding ding! Our whole culture seems to be forgetting this. You see it with NFL players wearing different sock colors across a team. You see it with crap alts that flagrantly disregard teams’ general style and color scheme. In the NBA you can’t even tell which team is which at first glance anymore, which is incredibly bothersome in a league whose uniforms used to be so full of color and personality. 

In every league that has “city edition” uniforms, those should not be allowed in the playoffs. I’m on the fence about throwbacks - Minnesota’s are awfully nice - but, generally, if it isn’t either white or a specific listed team color, it shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs. Yes, I’m grumpy. 

You see, I get the logic behind why they are allowing it. It's yet another means to continuously sell as many different jerseys as possible and generate revenue – the same reason that black (and navy) are shoehorned into and made dominant in so many teams' identities – and in case of shoes, to provide a platform to showcase and market the models/colorways to boost their sales. It's just that all that is happening at the expense of aesthetics and professional image of the product. Similarly as the game itself that is played in the NBA is currently dictated by the analytics maximizing efficiency, which in turn results in a gameplay that is not pretty at all nor fun to watch (one could argue if at all watchable).

There has to be a certain limit, though, an extent, to which you take advantage of the strategic opportunities, while still maintaining a professional and attractive appearance and gameplay that is pleasing and interesting to watch, respectively. A certain amount of balance, so to speak.

But, as long as the current state of things sells, it will stay the way it is. Unless the dissatisfaction reaches some really noticeable levels. But will it ever?

47 minutes ago, truepg said:

You see, I get the logic behind why they are allowing it. It's yet another means to continuously sell as many different jerseys as possible and generate revenue – the same reason that black (and navy) are shoehorned into and made dominant in so many teams' identities – and in case of shoes, to provide a platform to showcase and market the models/colorways to boost their sales. It's just that all that is happening at the expense of aesthetics and professional image of the product. Similarly as the game itself that is played in the NBA is currently dictated by the analytics maximizing efficiency, which in turn results in a gameplay that is not pretty at all nor fun to watch (one could argue if at all watchable).

There has to be a certain limit, though, an extent, to which you take advantage of the strategic opportunities, while still maintaining a professional and attractive appearance and gameplay that is pleasing and interesting to watch, respectively. A certain amount of balance, so to speak.

But, as long as the current state of things sells, it will stay the way it is. Unless the dissatisfaction reaches some really noticeable levels. But will it ever?

I mean, if more people buy red and purple and royal blue and green jerseys and shirts, sure. 

I get what you mean about analytics making games less fun. I miss the ‘90s NBA, where there were massive centers who could make you regret coming inside, and creative dunks, and 3 or 4 guys per roster who could hit threes, rather than 9 or 10. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, truepg said:

Similarly as the game itself that is played in the NBA is currently dictated by the analytics maximizing efficiency, which in turn results in a gameplay that is not pretty at all nor fun to watch (one could argue if at all watchable).

beep boop the game has never been better go back to Ethan Strauss's substack you're being unfair to LeBron beep boop

• Eyeroll 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Love how the NBA playoffs are a complete free-for-all with no logic or order to the choice of uniforms game-to-game, and then you have Bucks-Pacers where both teams are wearing the exact same jersey for the first four games of the series. The lack of consistency is maddening.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1