2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

5 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Why would they have new colors? The Clippers have been red and blue the entire time they've been in Los Angeles and their arena is red too. There is a very low chance they suddenly stray away from what they have been wearing since 1982.

Other than they've been pushing really hard to be a black team, from the court to the uniforms. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

reggiem1995.jpg

They were that way on the original FloJo jawns, too.

(Total aside: how did we let the Pacers get away with Helvetica Bold Italic for all those many  years?? )

Huh. I guess I just remembered the parts I liked. 

While I do like that design, I wasn’t as crazy about the set as some. Navy blue is such a boring color and it would’ve been fun to see a yellow alt (which is kind of what the Siakam photo is). 

40 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Why would they have new colors? The Clippers have been red and blue the entire time they've been in Los Angeles and their arena is red too. There is a very low chance they suddenly stray away from what they have been wearing since 1982.

Doesn't mean it's good.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

(Total aside: how did we let the Pacers get away with Helvetica Bold Italic for all those many  years?? )

Going off memory alone I would have sworn they were Impact or Compacta. I don't know how we did it either.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

41 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Huh. I guess I just remembered the parts I liked. 

While I do like that design, I wasn’t as crazy about the set as some. Navy blue is such a boring color and it would’ve been fun to see a yellow alt (which is kind of what the Siakam photo is). 

I feel you on that. I honestly don't know how the Pacers never had a yellow alternate of that set, either. They definitely made it a point to include one in the set that followed. 

As for the navy blue, yeah I kinda do wish they'd brighten it up a good bit. The hue of electric blue they're using for this year's City theme is one I'd have liked to see them try years ago in another scheme (one that also happens to be one of my favorite colorways)...but I must admit that electric blue looks pretty sharp alongside that bright yellow.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I feel you on that. I honestly don't know how the Pacers never had a yellow alternate of that set, either. They definitely made it a point to include one in the set that followed. 

As for the navy blue, yeah I kinda do wish they'd brighten it up a good bit. The hue of electric blue they're using for this year's City theme is one I'd have liked to see them try years ago in another scheme (one that also happens to be one of my favorite colorways)...but I must admit that electric blue looks pretty sharp alongside that bright yellow.

I have a soft spot for the set they wore at the beginning of Reggie Miller’s career. I think using that colorway (basically, royal blue instead of navy) would freshen up their look nicely. 

Few teams have managed to do the current trend in a way that ages poorly the way the Pacers always have. The homely serifs, corny futuristic, helvetica-chic modernist, overly busy all-American retro, whatever you call mid-2000s paneling and Agency font, the modern roundel, the insistence that graffiti is uniquely reflective of your own city...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

A red throwback or fauxback doesn't necessarily rule out a new color scheme for the normal uniforms.

I'd bet money they're going to be the same old boring clippers.  And if they're going black and white like they have tried, don't use a team name from San Diego. 🙄

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

Those are awful. The blue inside the C is a surly out of place. 

If you don't like Clippers wordmark, there are also two less known versions with Los Angeles wordmark. One with blue numbers:

3a919c3806202c3fe42ea906e9c5d4b1.jpg

and second with white numbers:

0-season-KLACL-1989.jpg

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

it would’ve been fun to see a yellow alt (which is kind of what the Siakam photo is). 

Like this?:

Flo-Jo-Yellow.jpg

• Like 6

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

If you don't like Clippers wordmark, there are also two less known versions with Los Angeles wordmark. One with blue numbers:

0-season-KLACL-1989.jpg

That script still has the same problems as the Clippers one with the white outline filling most of the counters.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

They've done a few alternates with the San Diego colors in recent years that were quite popular with the fans. People also liked the orange and black Braves throwbacks. And even outside of that, the team has been heavily de-emphasizing RWB in favor of black and white. Ballmer also said a few years ago that a new color scheme was under consideration for the new arena.

When neither the fans or the team are particularly attached to RWB, it's not outlandish to think a new color scheme is a possibility. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but still.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

23 hours ago, truepg said:

Other than they've been pushing really hard to be a black team, from the court to the uniforms. 

I feel like the addition of black isn't a bad thing for the Clippers, but they haven't found the right way to execute it yet. It's always felt tacked on, but I'm sure there's a design that would make it feel less like BFBS. Considering how many other royal & red teams there are, the black does help them stand out.

21 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I have a soft spot for the set they wore at the beginning of Reggie Miller’s career. I think using that colorway (basically, royal blue instead of navy) would freshen up their look nicely. 

I actually think the Pacers are one of the few royal blue teams that improved their set by switching to navy in the '90s. The Warriors have owned the royal & yellow look in the NBA for a little while now.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I feel like the addition of black isn't a bad thing for the Clippers, but they haven't found the right way to execute it yet. It's always felt tacked on, but I'm sure there's a design that would make it feel less like BFBS. Considering how many other royal & red teams there are, the black does help them stand out.

I actually think the Pacers are one of the few royal blue teams that improved their set by switching to navy in the '90s. The Warriors have owned the royal & yellow look in the NBA for a little while now.

There aren’t that many royal and red teams, are there? Pistons come to mind and they’ve always rocked those colors wonderfully, with the exception of their absurd foray into teal. Sixers have usually looked good in those colors too. There are way more red and black: Bulls, Raptors, Blazers, Rockets, Hawks (plus yellow), Heat (plus yellow),  Cavs (dishonorable mention). LAC going back to royal and red would be a breath of fresh air at this point.  (So would the sky blue and burnt orange from their distant past.)

17 hours ago, pepis21 said:

0-season-KLACL-1989.jpg

Like this?:

Flo-Jo-Yellow.jpg

Precisely. 

Everyone loved this right?

spacer.png

Sadly only 50% of the viewers suffered brain damage,  so to get the rest of them, the NBA now give you this:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39465085/nba-play-led-glass-court-some-all-star-weekend-events

I hope someday these courts also can display ads. 😍

I mean,  why only distract the audience with statistics while the game is underway, when you easily also can make a $ or 2

🥰

It gives us a little bit more range in what we can do as far as interactive graphics, reactionary graphics that happen on the floor, changing the floor design, changing the colors, really reacting to the play that happens on the court.

Oh yeah, make the games look like NBA Jam please 

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

There aren’t that many royal and red teams, are there? Pistons come to mind and they’ve always rocked those colors wonderfully, with the exception of their absurd foray into teal. Sixers have usually looked good in those colors too. There are way more red and black: Bulls, Raptors, Blazers, Rockets, Hawks (plus yellow), Heat (plus yellow),  Cavs (dishonorable mention). LAC going back to royal and red would be a breath of fresh air at this point.  (So would the sky blue and burnt orange from their distant past.)

I was thinking about pro sports in general. There are a lot of royal & red teams, but the Clippers are the only ones that have made black another one of their main colours. I guess the Marlins are the closest thing, but the shades of blue & red they use aren't quite the same, and they're a mostly black team. The closest example I can come up with for an ideal Clippers colour balance would be similar to the old Colorado Avalanche alternates, just with a bright red instead of burgundy.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1