2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

On 4/25/2024 at 11:52 AM, TenaciousG said:

Can’t believe we’d have to see those 5280 atrocities in a game seven. Adam Silver is an idiot when it comes to branding. How come no one ever tries to emulate the NFL when it’s the gold standard on branding? Can you imagine the Packers wearing a bright yellow CHEESEHEADS jersey in a playoff game? No, because they aren’t idiots.

Early foul trouble for #5280, I can't believe they haven't subbed him out.  He might foul out in the first quarter, but I see why they're leaving him in - it seems like he's everywhere on the court at once!

Not just the lack of white at home, that's really three different brands they're wearing. Do you prefer the classic navy brand, the royal blue brand, the blackout fightin' numbers brand? I guess the gold and the number font are shared, but still. 

• Like 3

I don't know like you guys, but I fall in love with this:

kithCover_e487a482-cbd5-4202-a667-fe092f

It's much, much better than current alternate and I wouldn't mind if they use it instead of away uniform for the rest of the playoffs and make it a permament alternate in next season.

• Like 4
  • Hurl 1
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 1

4r2eer.png

^ No, that double New York thing is too gimmicky for a timeless, original-era franchise like the Knicks.

I do, however, like the retro wordmark treatment they're using on their playoff warmup shirts:

HV8665_495_PV_1.png?v=1713188551&width=1445

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Digby said:

^ No, that double New York thing is too gimmicky for a timeless, original-era franchise like the Knicks.

They could easily switch to this:

c561ejnshkw31p6ezy25c6bkk.gif

And it would be even more awesome.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

HV8665_495_PV_1.png?v=1713188551&width=1445

That's looks fine. Could be a great replacement too.

• Like 4

4r2eer.png

The fact that for 6 of 7 games in a series, the Nuggets are wearing two different uniforms that both refer to the elevation of their city is just a joke. I cannot wait until this gimmicky city era is dead.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, bbush24 said:

The fact that for 6 of 7 games in a series, the Nuggets are wearing two different uniforms that both refer to the elevation of their city is just a joke. I cannot wait until this gimmicky city era is dead.

we might have to wait for hell to freeze over

• LOL 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

It's much, much better than current alternate and I wouldn't mind if they use it instead of away uniform for the rest of the playoffs and make it a permament alternate in next season.

To me it’s much better for the reason that it vastly resembles and is based on their 00s’ set, which was much superior than everything they replaced it with.  The only upgrade was the new wordmark. The pinstripes don’t look bad on the uniform either.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

20 hours ago, Ark said:

Not really, the "primary" Nuggets jerseys now are like the jerseys they wore in the Carmelo era but worse in every way.

By "decent" I meant a passable mediocre uniform instead of a steaming pile of trash.

The Mavs' building looked ridiculous last night. Crowd was wearing the usual white and grey but also every possible shade of blue and a significant amount of vibrant green. Meanwhile, the team is wearing black on a mostly-black court. And I LIKE the Mavs City set and think it works well for it but again, this is why it looks insane to wear these in big games. 

Pacers planning to wear their yellow Statement jerseys for at least the first four games of the semis, after wearing them all through the first round, home and away. I guess we're leaning into that one. (Knicks are gonna alternate between white and navy, both home and road, in response).

Celtics/Cavs looks blessedly normal for the first four games. All white at home, Cleveland in black on the road and Boston in green.

• Like 1

I think the Pacers are the first team to wear just one uniform for multiple rounds of the playoffs. 

No other team left has a yellow/close to yellow jersey so we could theoretically see these all the way through the Finals. 

I’m not complaining, it’s the best look in their arsenal. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

8 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

I think the Pacers are the first team to wear just one uniform for multiple rounds of the playoffs. 

No other team left has a yellow/close to yellow jersey so we could theoretically see these all the way through the Finals. 

I’m not complaining, it’s the best look in their arsenal. 

I agree that it's their best look and it works in most contexts, but I really despise yellow vs. white matchups in general, and with them it's even worse due to that big white spot up one side. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/3/2024 at 9:59 AM, pepis21 said:

Change the New York word mark to the proper colors and no drop-shadow, and I'd 100% agree with you. Some clean as hell uniforms and debatably better than what the Knicks have now.

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

These playoffs really showing how we’re at a low point in NBA branding.

The Western Conference bracket is 4 of the 6/7 worst looks in the NBA, with the best remaining probably being the uninspiring Nuggets set but them wearing the awful 5280 uniforms all the time. The Wolves current set still doesn’t look right and apparently their ownership situation has leaked over to their uniform choices of either wearing throwbacks all the time or never. Dallas is extremely dated but at least their primaries exude memories of Dirk and their 2011 title, so they wear their drab statement and city instead. The only team that seems to know what their identity is is the Thunder, unfortunately their identity still looks like  something generic that was cobbled in a few weeks after stealing Seattle’s team, 15 years and a uniform adjustment later.

The East has better uniforms but the Knicks have almost completely abandoned their best uniform (the standard blues) in favor of overusing navy and wearing white on the road. The city edition is pretty good but also very clearly a one off gimmick. The Pacers wear yellow all the time and their primaries still have that stupid circle lettering. The Cavs wear black all the time even though it’s not at all present in their primary uniforms with a giant C that doesn’t fit their current wordmarks on the front because they won a title in a BFBS uniform with a giant C on the front 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
07Giants.pngnyy.png

22 hours ago, Digby said:

Still no updates on LockerVision for the 2nd round games after the initial four. Does anyone ever look at that website besides people on this board?

I lied, it's up now. Sanity has gone by the wayside and the Celtics are wearing black at home vs the Cavs in white tonight. Also OKC wearing their City at home (I kinda like it tbh) and the Wolves throwbacks return tomorrow.

Last night I was struck at how normal the Knicks looked in the faux-90s uniforms, I'm coming around on those... at least til the camera zooms into the stupid wordmark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I lied, it's up now. Sanity has gone by the wayside and the Celtics are wearing black at home vs the Cavs in white tonight. Also OKC wearing their City at home (I kinda like it tbh) and the Wolves throwbacks return tomorrow.

Last night I was struck at how normal the Knicks looked in the faux-90s uniforms, I'm coming around on those... at least til the camera zooms into the stupid wordmark.

OKC's City gives off big "Warriors 2009" vibes to me. Maybe it's the colors that are similar. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2