College Football 2023

MJWalker45

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

If it comes down to Texas or Alabama, the committee will :censored: Texas and give Alabama the #4 seed because an SEC free playoff is  against the law or something.

I get why people think the committee will bend over backwards to put Bama/SEC in over more deserving teams but that’s just never been the case. 

Two times an SEC team has made it without winning its conference. 

One was 2017, where Alabama was the only one-loss option, every other P5 champion/good team had two losses. 

If you’re a UCF homer who thinks they should have made it instead, in that case mad respect welcome to the club, but its an unpopular cause the committee never takes seriously. 

For 2021, it was a very similar scenario. Georgia was one of two one-loss teams, with the other being a conference-less Notre Dame, who the committee didn’t reward for not playing an extra game. 

A Texas with a head to head road win over Bama is easily the strongest resume of the group, so it will be ranked ahead of them in the playoff poll. 

Alabama needs Michigan or Florida State to lose. The committee snubbing an unbeaten P5 team or a one-loss team with a massive head-to-head win over another one-loss team is beyond unprecedented. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

48 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I get why people think the committee will bend over backwards to put Bama/SEC in over more deserving teams but that’s just never been the case. 

Two times an SEC team has made it without winning its conference. 

One was 2017, where Alabama was the only one-loss option, every other P5 champion/good team had two losses. 

If you’re a UCF homer who thinks they should have made it instead, in that case mad respect welcome to the club, but its an unpopular cause the committee never takes seriously. 

For 2021, it was a very similar scenario. Georgia was one of two one-loss teams, with the other being a conference-less Notre Dame, who the committee didn’t reward for not playing an extra game. 

A Texas with a head to head road win over Bama is easily the strongest resume of the group, so it will be ranked ahead of them in the playoff poll. 

Alabama needs Michigan or Florida State to lose. The committee snubbing an unbeaten P5 team or a one-loss team with a massive head-to-head win over another one-loss team is beyond unprecedented. 

Seems completely plausible to me that FSU gets left out with the way this game has gone so far.  I don't know why we're still pretending all of the P5 conferences are built equally.  This FSU team wouldn't be undefeated in any other conference.  I know we're expanding to 12 and it will matter less, but the committee needs to recognize this as it's only going to get worse when the SEC and Big Ten get significantly better while the ACC somehow managed to expand and get worse.

There's been some questionable calls going FSU's way so far.  Seems insane to me these conferences are left to handle their own officiating when there's so much money at stake depending on who wins and loses.

Decades ago, FSU chose to join the ACC over the SEC in part because it was easier for them to compete for National Championships and that decision is still paying dividends.

edit to add that the Playoff Committee rules specifically say they pick the four BEST teams and I don't see how anybody can argue that FSU is one of the four best teams at this point.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Everything is unprecedented until it happens. Florida State is currently providing the committee the perfect excuse to put Alabama in. The committee: "After a rigorous debate, we simply didn't feel that Florida State is one of the four best teams in the country." It's that easy.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

I mean... if you think that's one of the four best teams in the country, I don't know what to tell you.  Even with some sketchy officiating, that was ugly.

Plummer for Louisville really challenges my belief that having a fifth or sixth year QB is a cheat code.  That guy is terrible.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

At this point, it's simple:

Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Texas.

Anything other then those four in the playoff is a failure.

It's a failure either way.  Omitting Alabama means leaving out a team that just beat the #1 team in the country and only loss was against the #3 team in the country.  Not to mention they can match FSU's best win and would likely be a heavy favorite if they played FSU next week.  They're effectively being punished for scheduling a playoff team non-conference.  It's easier for the committee to just point to the obvious and say FSU isn't as good as the other four teams than to say strength of schedule doesn't matter and omit Alabama, or H2H doesn't matter and omit Texas.  This wouldn't even be a conversation if FSU managed to look even decent, let alone good, vs Florida or Louisville.

For what it's worth, BetMGM has Alabama as the second best odds to win the NC right now.

IUe6Hvh.png

9 minutes ago, See Red said:

It's a failure either way.  Omitting Alabama means leaving out a team that just beat the #1 team in the country and only loss was against the #3 team in the country.  Not to mention they can match FSU's best win and would likely be a heavy favorite if they played FSU next week.  They're effectively being punished for scheduling a playoff team non-conference.

No, they're punished for losing to a non-conference playoff team. While Texas is rewarded for beating a non-conference, one-loss conference champion. The scheduling goes both ways.

• Like 1

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, burgundy said:

No, they're punished for losing to a non-conference playoff team. While Texas is rewarded for beating a non-conference, one-loss conference champion. The scheduling goes both ways.

I mean in regards to Alabama-FSU.  Texas is in, no doubt, in my opinion.

This comes down to if Alabama should be punished for scheduling and losing to the #3 team while FSU didn't play a comparable opponent.  There's not really a good answer there's no precedent to either getting left out.  And the one that makes the most sense on paper (FSU) means putting in the team that would be a heavy underdog between the two.  The key here is that the one win FSU can hang their hat on (LSU), Alabama can match.  Without that, there's no conversation, imo.  I'm indifferent.  To me it's the difference between watching FSU get throttled in a playoff game vs having to listen to FSU fans complain about how they were screwed before their team sits out a bowl game and they got throttled by, like, Georgia.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

42 minutes ago, See Red said:

Omitting Alabama means leaving out a team that just beat the #1 team in the country and only loss was against the #3 team in the country

Alabama needed a last second miracle to beat Auburn -- who a week before.. 

4c49f0b1-46d5-45fe-b81e-a853c2236198.jpg

• LOL 1

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Alabama needed a last second miracle to beat Auburn -- who a week before.. 

4c49f0b1-46d5-45fe-b81e-a853c2236198.jpg

FSU got taken to the wire by an injury depleted 5-win Florida team that was playing their own backup QB and would probably lose to Auburn.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 minutes ago, See Red said:

FSU got taken to the wire by an injury depleted 5-win Florida team that was playing their own backup QB and would probably lose to Auburn.

FSU, going undefeated in a Power 5 conference, is a lock to get in. They are #3. There is no debate with them.

If there's a debate, it should be between Texas and Bama. Texas lost to a worse team, so you could argue that I guess.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

Look at the bright side, kids. This is the last year we have to deal with this nonsense. The debate next season will be over who is getting screwed out of the #12 spot. And that debate will be every bit as ridiculous as the debate over four teams so there's that, I guess.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

FSU, going undefeated in a Power 5 conference, is a lock to get in. They are #3. There is no debate with them.

If there's a debate, it should be between Texas and Bama. Texas lost to a worse team, so you could argue that I guess.

Uh, no?  It's between FSU and Alabama.

• Huh? 1

IUe6Hvh.png

47 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Look at the bright side, kids. This is the last year we have to deal with this nonsense. The debate next season will be over who is getting screwed out of the #12 spot. And that debate will be every bit as ridiculous as the debate over four teams so there's that, I guess.

The answer to that question is: whoever is undefeated in the G5 Conferences or the best overall team in the G5 Conferences if there's no undefeated team.