College Football 2023

MJWalker45

13 minutes ago, LMU said:

Yep. Because equating Penn State with anything related to restoring right and justice is galaxy brain-level logic.

Exactly. Restoring right and justice is Ohio State's job as it always has been. We're happy to oblige.

ohio-state-buckeyes.gif

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

It’s my (admittedly hyperbolic) label for them after the NCAA apologized for slapping them on the wrist. US sports media clearly wanted them to remain a power and while it’s not as much the case today, they felt like America’s team for a few years.

You could just consider having James Franklin as your (apparently) forever coach to be a pretty significant punishment.   

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You could just consider having James Franklin as your (apparently) forever coach to be a pretty significant punishment.   

…and being a participant in the 9 overtime game. 

Edited by SFGiants58

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If there was any game Franklin needed to trust his players more, this and Ohio State this year were the games. Franklin is Jimbo Fisher (the Texas A&M version) without a national title. He'll get a "program defining" bowl win and only win the games they're supposed to win. 

2 hours ago, See Red said:

I don’t see how any of these talking heads can say Ohio State hasn’t passed the eye test and then praise Florida State.

The problem is Miami is better than their record, same for Clemson, but coaching has hurt them more than bad play this year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

If there was any game Franklin needed to trust his players more, this and Ohio State this year were the games. Franklin is Jimbo Fisher (the Texas A&M version) without a national title. He'll get a "program defining" bowl win and only win the games they're supposed to win. 

The problem is Miami is better than their record, same for Clemson, but coaching has hurt them more than bad play this year.

I mean... not really.  Miami needed OT to beat Virginia.  Looked like hot garbage against NC State.  They're playing a true freshman QB that wasn't even highly regarded out of high school.  Clemson is maybe better than their record but it still took Clemson missing a chip shot FG and repeatedly punching themselves in the nuts for FSU to beat them.  I'd maybe buy that Clemson is more talented than their record, but not better.  Then there's the BC game, they were losing to Duke with a hobbled Riley Leonard until they took him out of the game on an illegal hit, struggling against Pitt. 

IUe6Hvh.png

33 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Is this the most anybody’s been paid not to do their job ever?

It's going to be closer to $200 million, because whoever comes in will or want close to what Jimbo got. How long until they say Harbaugh or Meyer should be considered? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's going to be closer to $200 million, because whoever comes in will or want close to what Jimbo got. How long until they say Harbaugh or Meyer should be considered? 

Meyer yes, Harbaugh.....no.  I get the feeling that he wants to get revenge on his brother in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Meyer yes, Harbaugh.....no.  I get the feeling that he wants to get revenge on his brother in the NFL.  

I'd say that as well. The pundits already looking at Lane Kiffin, and to me that makes the least amount of sense. Mississippi is dysfunctional enough , why go to College Station? Jeff Traylor at UTSA is also on the Athletic's coaching shortlist. It's a great move for him, but I don't know if the Aggies donors will want him. 

Meyer obviously isn't on the list, and I think he needs to stay away from the sidelines permanently anyways. He might be able to waive his hand and get the players he'd want but I can't see him surviving coaching against Saban every year. And I mean literally surviving.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd say that as well. The pundits already looking at Lane Kiffin, and to me that makes the least amount of sense. Mississippi is dysfunctional enough , why go to College Station? Jeff Traylor at UTSA is also on the Athletic's coaching shortlist. It's a great move for him, but I don't know if the Aggies donors will want him. 

Meyer obviously isn't on the list, and I think he needs to stay away from the sidelines permanently anyways. He might be able to waive his hand and get the players he'd want but I can't see him surviving coaching against Saban every year. And I mean literally surviving.

If I am Jeff Traylor, I would stay because what if UTSA runs the table and goes undefeated in the AAC next year?  Then they are likely in the expanded CFP.  

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If I am Jeff Traylor, I would stay because what if UTSA runs the table and goes undefeated in the AAC next year?  Then they are likely in the expanded CFP.  

His pay would increase substantially, that and the possibility of rebuilding the Wrecking Crew is enough. He's also from Gilmer, so he's closer to home. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38888927/mississippi-state-fires-head-football-coach-zach-arnett

Mississippi State fires Arnett after one year. I feel like this is a bit harsh, but remembering that he was an emergency move after Mike Leach's death I can see why they did this now. They aren't likely to get a big name in, but moving on to a new system that works better for the players they have is just as important. It sucks for Arnett, and I hope he lands on his feet sooner than later. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png