College Football 2023

MJWalker45

On 9/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, MJWalker45 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/army-could-be-joining-aac-in-the-coming-weeks-but-a-few-hurdles-remain-175403571.html

The American is looking to bring in Army to the fold. The trick here is that Army-Navy would remain in it's regular slot, but the AAC championship would be played the week before. So, in theory, Army and Navy could play each other for a championship before playing each other for the Commander-In-Chief Trophy. 

The thought is that the traditional Army Navy game would be a nonconference matchup.  I think the American would not schedule Army and Navy during the regular season, but like you said there's a chance Army Navy could play in the conference championship the week prior.

• Like 1

Just now, TBGKon said:

The thought is that the traditional Army Navy game would be a nonconference matchup.  I think the American would not schedule Army and Navy during the regular season, but like you said there's a chance Army Navy could play in the conference championship the week prior.

Correct. And it's the only way to make the games work, in my opinion. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That's the only way to make Army/Navy work if there's insistence on it being after the season is over. I think it's a relatively recent thing to  have that game so late. I guess if the conference wants a championship game, the Army / Navy game would have to move up two weeks.  That's what I'd prefer to see, but I assume Army / Navy gets its own week because, despite the fact that we're supposed to care about and watch it, it's not going to do well up against other games.

Scheduling this game after the season has always bugged me. Imagine if, say, Navy was undefeated and there was clamoring for including them in the playoff (not even that far-fetched when the playoff expands). Then they get put in and lose to a 3-8 Army team. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

22 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

... I guess if the conference wants a championship game, the Army / Navy game would have to move up two weeks.  That's what I'd prefer to see, but I assume Army / Navy gets its own week because, despite the fact that we're supposed to care about and watch it, it's not going to do well up against other games.

Scheduling this game after the season has always bugged me. ....

In the days before every conference having a conference championship game, the other conferences would have regular season games the weekend of the conference championships. And Army/Navy was always on that weekend. Usually the first of the day. While the SEC and Big XII games would be sometime in that late afternoon and evening. It went up against some games. But, was usually fairly noteworthy on its own.

Then came the 'every conference has twelve teams and a championship game' and it got overlooked in the lineup. That's why it got the preferential treatment to move back another week. It's the one game in all of college football I'm okay with getting a pass to do something unique. And I think most college football fans are either indifferent or supportive of having its own weekend. With the playoff looming larger, it'll be interesting to see how they work it into the overall college football schedule. Especially if either of them two are ever in consideration as an at-large.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I do not say this lightly. 

This is the worst coaching decision in the history of the sport. 

I mean its been a rough week for sports in Miami. Dolphins first loss of the season last Sunday. Marlins swept in the wildcard. Inter Miami and Messi lose and eliminated from playoff contention. FIU also lost today. Only fitting for the Canes to choke this one away too.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

13 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I mean its been a rough week for sports in Miami. Dolphins first loss of the season last Sunday. Marlins swept in the wildcard. Inter Miami and Messi lose and eliminated from playoff contention. FIU also lost today. Only fitting for the Canes to choke this one away too.

Add in the Miami Heat coming up empty on the Damian Lillard trade too 

• LOL 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience