2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

9 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

I thought there was a rule that in the Super Bowl, teams have to wear their primary (traditional) uniforms? Or is that just something I thought was a thing? I can’t remember the last time a Super Bowl team didn’t.

I don't know that there's necessarily a rule that you have to wear more traditional combos, but the NFL does seem to be more strict about ensuring a good uniform matchup. By the rules, the 2021 Rams should not have been allowed to wear their (at the time) white alternates in the Super Bowl, but the NFL made sure that "bone" wouldn't be anywhere near that game.

I wish the owners and their teams petition the league to allow alternates and throwbacks in the Super Bowl. There was a time when the host team had to wear their colors and the visitor wear white, but then that changed. It would great if the same was done for the aforementioned.

44 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

I wish the owners and their teams petition the league to allow alternates and throwbacks in the Super Bowl. There was a time when the host team had to wear their colors and the visitor wear white, but then that changed. It would great if the same was done for the aforementioned.

You would get the 49ers in their “icy” 1994-1950s fauxback. Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

On 1/19/2024 at 11:45 AM, CDCLT said:

Thinking about teams that have had four different-colored pants at the same time (so, not counting same-colored pants with different stripes as separate pants):

- Panthers, 2015-17, 2023-present; white, silver, black, blue

- Lions, 2021-present; silver, dark silver (color rush), white, blue

- Chargers, 2020-present; white, gold, royal blue, navy blue

- Rams, 2009-11; white, navy blue, Vegas gold, athletic gold

- Saints, 2016, 2022-present; Vegas gold, black, white, old gold

- Eagles, 2023-present; white, midnight green, black, silver

- Seahawks, 2016-present; white, navy, wolf gray, action green, throwback silver (2023-present)

- Washington, 2018; burgundy, gold, white, tan

There's really not many teams that can use four different colors  - like half of these are the teams using throwbacks as well. The one team that surprised me was Jacksonville - I thought they had teal pants with their previous set but it turns out they did not. The season the Ravens introduced the gold pants, they didn't have purple pants.

Personally I think four pants is too many for any team with one exception. I'd like to see the Panthers drop silver altogether, the Lions drop their white pants, the Eagles' black, etc. The only team I see it working for is Seattle. I like navy, gray, and white pants for their modern set, and then combined with the throwbacks, that makes four sets.

I thought about that after I made the post and Seattle was all I could come up with too, but with the Color Rush instead of the throwback. But then I realized I was suggesting a Color Rush Lite. Seattle would have to wear navy socks only, and the jerseys and pants would have to be the same color.

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

You would get the 49ers in their “icy” 1994-1950s fauxback. Be careful what you wish for. 

The 49ers actually petitioned the league to allow them to wear all-white in Super Bowl LIV, but the NFL essentially told them to :censored: off. 

They approved the Rams making the same request with their "modern throwbacks" two years later in Super Bowl LVI.

For aesthetic reasons, this worked out wonderfully, but I do have to wonder if that was it, or if there was any other thought process for the NFL denying the 49ers' request but approving the Rams' request (In addition, the 49ers had only used two alternate slots in 2019, while the Rams had already worn those white uniforms three times in 2021).

Confirmed: The Lions were doing a little trolling.

I wasn't on the side of people complaining about uniform reveal posts, but the Lions getting into petty squabbling matches with random Twitter accounts this week was entirely unnecessary. You can be as funny as you want with the actual reveal post, but all the BS that came before it was going too far.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ruttep said:

The 49ers actually petitioned the league to allow them to wear all-white in Super Bowl LIV, but the NFL essentially told them to :censored: off. 

They approved the Rams making the same request with their "modern throwbacks" two years later in Super Bowl LVI.

For aesthetic reasons, this worked out wonderfully, but I do have to wonder if that was it, or if there was any other thought process for the NFL denying the 49ers' request but approving the Rams' request (In addition, the 49ers had only used two alternate slots in 2019, while the Rams had already worn those white uniforms three times in 2021).

Probably because someone at least realized the bone uniforms look like :censored:.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

At least though the Saints could wear their beautiful throwbacks with the rich gold rather than all-black or all-white…

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

The only difference is that the Rams designated the white uniforms as their away jerseys the next season, maybe that influenced the NFL to allow it?

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

damnit, the Lions new primary uniforms are going to have plain blue pants and blue socks, aren't they?

The thick gray striping on the blue pants is what makes the look tolerable currently. I really really hope they don’t go that route.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Froob said:

I’m kind of over the Niners white pants thing, they look so good in gold.

Plus, they need to make the alternates true throwbacks by wearing plain red shells. There would be a greater first-glance differentiation between the primary uniform and alternates. Don't know why they didn't follow through with that, but they are throwing back to a pseudo-throwback when one tweak would make it an actual  throwback.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Plus, they need to make the alternates true throwbacks by wearing plain red shells. There would be a greater first-glance differentiation between the primary uniform and alternates. Don't know why they didn't follow through with that, but they are throwing back to a pseudo-throwback when one tweak would make it an actual  throwback.

Not necessarily. If the Niners are referring to the throwbacks as '94 throwbacks, then they are wearing the correct helmets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

And the  league denied the Saints of wearing their all white CR for the playoff game against the Vikings. Which then got New Orleans to wear the regular all white instead.

The league is inconsistent about the rules for alternates and throwbacks that were put in place since 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rfraser85 said:

Not necessarily. If the Niners are referring to the throwbacks as '94 throwbacks, then they are wearing the correct helmets.

Right, but the 94 "throwbacks" were throwbacks to 1955 with gold helmets. It was a fauxback. 

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Right, but the 94 "throwbacks" were throwbacks to 1955 with gold helmets. It was a fauxback. 

True, but this is what the Niners wore in '94, the Niners were allowed to wear those jerseys as primaries for the second half of that season including the playoffs, and the team references them as '94 throwbacks.

I agree, however, that red helmets would be better for accuracy and the fact that there's no gold on the jersey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

No, no, no. The 49ers belong in gold helmets and gold helmets only. Plus, the uniforms are already true throwbacks. It's explicitly stated in every single bit of marketing that the throwbacks are 1994 throwbacks. The current helmet with throwback decals is accurate to the 1994 uniforms. I've never liked the idea of seeing the 49ers in red helmets, and I hope they never do it.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1