2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

On 10/9/2023 at 1:02 PM, GriffinM6 said:

This is what Ohio State wore sometime between 2012-14. They had red and white versions and they were essentially 90s fauxbacks.

Ohio State to wear white alternate uniforms for Penn State's 'White Out' -  Land-Grant Holy Land

I think the Browns could maybe pull off a wider stripe with numbers, but that's all dependent on what number font they'd use on the helmets. 

Likely a pretty unpopular opinion, but I would be very pleased with Ohio State wearing this full time, as long as the pants were grey. I love how bold (downright gaudy) the stripes are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HOOVER said:

The Colts or Bills or nearly anyone with a White helmet cannot wear dark pants with a White jersey, it's completely unbalanced/bottom-heavy.  Terrible look. 

I think it looks fine, as long as the socks match the helmets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dont care said:

It’s better to have “bottom heavy” uniforms in football, rather than “top heavy” it’s not a rule, but the helmet should match the jersey or pants at a minimum, having all three be different is when you start seeing issues with balance.

That's why I never liked the Eagles' set with green helmet, green jersey, silver pants, and white socks. It was top-heavy. Or the Giants' road uniform in which each of the four elements has a different base color.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I’ve honestly always really liked white/white/color combos in football. I agree that they’re best with white socks though (an exception being the Chargers, their powder blue works), which is one thing I’ve never liked about when the Dolphins go with aqua pants. If they paired it with white socks, it would look so much better.

For the Colts in particular, I think blue pants look aesthetically fine, but would just feel odd since they always tend to go all-white.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Would you consider the Chargers' yellow pants to be dark?

No…light colors aren’t as bottom heavy, and with the Yellow face guard, it’s a little more balanced.

It can work with a light color, but take, for example the Panthers & Saints when they wear Black pants with their Silver & Gold helmets…it looks like dog:censored:.  Same for Patriots, who should be wearing Gray pants home & away.

Having teams with White helmets wearing Blue pants, which they inevitably will wear with Blue socks to full leotard looks horrifically unbalanced.

Some just accept it now bc they’ve seen it and are used to it; imagine the Cowboys wearing Navy pants or the Raiders wearing Black pants with their White jerseys and Silver helmets…it’d be ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 4:29 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I think it looks fine, as long as the socks match the helmets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes, White socks are pretty much essential to make it work, but I’d argue that that’s not a great look for the Cardinals….never though it was.  

That Jets example works because the sleeves of the jersey match the pants - it adds enough  balance -  plus there’s enough Green in the helmet to help.

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

I dunno I loved this look

spacer.png

I never did, but I believe this is what happens when we fall in love with players or teams in successful eras, ala Brady with the Pats in the piped garbage unis.  The player or team can elevate a bad look.  We develop fond memories of those times and the images in our minds of those memories relate positive emotions….if you had put a photo of Jay Fiedler or Damon Huard up in your post….uni doesn’t look nearly as good.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Just to name a few...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Titans and Jets work because of the colorblocked sleeves, which adds balance.

That Bills looks is gross.

Orange is light enough to work, like Yellow is for the Chargers.  The Oilers fall into that category as well.

Let me rephrase my position: 

White/Light helmets, White Jerseys, DARK pants = bad

White/Light helmets, White Jerseys, LIGHT COLOR pants = workable 

54 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

I never did, but I believe this is what happens when we fall in love with players or teams in successful eras, ala Brady with the Pats in the piped garbage unis.  The player or team can elevate a bad look.  We develop fond memories of those times and the images in our minds of those memories relate positive emotions….if you had put a photo of Jay Fiedler or Damon Huard up in your post….uni doesn’t look nearly as good.

I try to look at whether uniforms are objectively good or bad -- like you said, the Brady Patriots uniforms were terrible despite the most successful run any uniform set has ever had. I truly believe that those Dolphins uniforms were good (not as good as the classic 70s-80s look, but still good). At the very least, they're still significantly better than the current set.

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I try to look at whether uniforms are objectively good or bad -- like you said, the Brady Patriots uniforms were terrible despite the most successful run any uniform set has ever had. I truly believe that those Dolphins uniforms were good (not as good as the classic 70s-80s look, but still good). At the very least, they're still significantly better than the current set.

I agree with you on the Dolphins looking better in what are now their throwbacks, but I don't believe them wearing Teal pants is their best look.

I much prefer this:

USATSI_15204432.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Over this:

GettyImages-51253266-scaled.jpg

And especially this:

DOLPHINS_CELEBRATE_WIN_OVER_JETS_600.png

Now, the Dolphins have been wearing them so long (that I get why some like them) and they're a somewhat light enough color to work, if they just would wear White socks.

By the way, that 2nd pic makes me fiend for the Bills to wear those again full-time.  I'd love to see that design on the modern helmets & uniform templates.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ark said:

I like the Giants blue pants from the 70s

3628cb611383f8f201fcc75b4bc057d4.jpg

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't realize you guys were talking about white helmets... but I still like these.

Don't apologize, this actually shows why it works better if wearing dark pants with White jerseys when your team has a dark helmet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I agree with you on the Dolphins looking better in what are now their throwbacks, but I don't believe them wearing Teal pants is their best look.

I much prefer this:

USATSI_15204432.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Over this:

GettyImages-51253266-scaled.jpg

And especially this:

DOLPHINS_CELEBRATE_WIN_OVER_JETS_600.png

You won't hear an argument from me on that. I think the late 80s-early 90s teal pants was a great look, but the throwbacks blow anything else that franchise has worn completely out of the water.

I will say, though, what are the players with double-striped socks in the throwback picture doing?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

The Giants will wear their throwback navy helmets with their color rush this week, rather than their normal royal blue helmets with the throwback logo. 

Good news.  Based on the reaction this board had to the Rams throwback helmet, this board won't be happy though. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, goforbroke said:

The Giants will wear their throwback navy helmets with their color rush this week, rather than their normal royal blue helmets with the throwback logo. 

Great! We get to see the darker blue helmet with the royal blue accents on the jersey and pants. This is an awful decision! 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Give me those Dolphins throwbacks, but with the double outlines and call it a day.

?? Double outlines are terrible. Makes the numbers less readable from a distance and imo just looks bad. 

4 hours ago, goforbroke said:

Don't care until they actually wear blue socks with their white throwback. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3

I know what most are saying, but I always preferred the Giants in all white (white jerseys and white pants) like the Dolphins, Jets (1978-1989 look), and Cardinals. I like the Chargers 1969-1973 yellow pants look with white helmets. I always like the Bears deep navy pants with white jerseys.  With the Rams, I wish they wore their 1951 (revived in 1994 during throwback year) white pants with their road look to make it look interesting. The yellow pants for the Rams stay, but I wish they did that on occasions. I was a huge fan of Kansas City Chiefs alternating from red pants and white pants.

I never really liked how the Saints went away from their (1996-2007) look and never tried to do their 1976-1985 look. And I wish the Cowboys would chose what blue and silver they want. I rather them be navy and slate grey than mix match.

• Like 1