San Diego MLS expansion

MrOrange

On 2023-10-20 at 2:49 PM, B-Rich said:

Agree wholeheartedly-- from the full front jersey ads, to the totally repetitive use of FC, SC, UNITED, not to mention rip offs like Real Salt Lake  and Inter Miami, it's like they are going Eurosnob overboard. 

It's weird they're so committed to this bit, while the on-pitch product evolves away from the global standard, with all this nonsense about PKs without extra time, a best-of-3 playoff series, league hostility to the fairly normal concept of two-leg aggregate series. Like the worst of all worlds.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Crew season ticket member here.  I agree on the comments about the best of three with no extra-time straight to penalties.

Apple TV wanted more playoff games versus the single knockout format.  Accordingly, I thought the league would go back to two-legged aggregate.  But two-legged aggregate  can lead to some not so great matches in the first leg.

Therefore, I think they went with best of three as it would make more compelling TV.  (Pure speculation on my part).  And with the potential of three matches in eight days, MLS chose to go straight to penalties.  It does seem strange though.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 10:07 PM, Survival79 said:

San Diego FC logo revealed; team to start play in MLS in 2025

The club’s official colors were labeled in the explainer as “chrome and azul,” while the crest is said to center around four “principal virtues” that define San Diego: “Gratitude, proud, not loud, diversity and a state of flow.”

That flow motif is evident in the central portion of the crest, which the club points out consists of “18 lines representing the 18 communities of San Diego County.”

shut up shut up shut up (not you personally)

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The team is currently using a secondary logo as their Twitter profile pic. The chrome circle/lines without the rest of the shield with "SD" replacing "FC" in the middle:

maTUiP-z_400x400.jpg

Just checked this out on my phone, and wow, hahahahahaha that SD is so damn tiny. I even have perfect vision and it's barely noticeable on mobile. It looks like it belongs to some team from Detroit instead. This is such a colossal brand failure. Thankfully, they still have time to fix it by 2025. 

• Like 7

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Just checked this out on my phone, and wow, hahahahahaha that SD is so damn tiny. I even have perfect vision and it's barely noticeable on mobile. It looks like it belongs to some team from Detroit instead. This is such a colossal brand failure. Thankfully, they still have time to fix it by 2025. 

You mean... they have time to stubbornly insist that it's a great logo and identity and hope to wear their fanbase down into acceptance before 2025.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

You mean... they have time to stubbornly insist that it's a great logo and identity and hope to wear their fanbase down into acceptance before 2025.

MLS, though, has proven to be the one professional league that has been a reluctant exception to this sort of pattern. The fact that Chicago and Montreal back-tracked on new logos in the past two years suggests to me that San Diego could do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they do. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, officeglenn said:

The team is currently using a secondary logo as their Twitter profile pic. The chrome circle/lines without the rest of the shield with "SD" replacing "FC" in the middle:

maTUiP-z_400x400.jpg

This logo looks great if Rockstar Games ever decided to do a remake of Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition.  Nice chrome 24" dubs with the multi-colored walls on a Cadillac Escalade. See Oscar for more details at Six-One-Nine Customs!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

MLS, though, has proven to be the one professional league that has been a reluctant exception to this sort of pattern. The fact that Chicago and Montreal back-tracked on new logos in the past two years suggests to me that San Diego could do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they do. 

They didn't back track all the way with Montreal though - the Fleur de-lys was brought back, but the front office/MLS decided that the Impact name wasn't coming back.

I would also argue both teams logos are downgrades from what they had before the ill-advised rebrands - Montreal no longer have their motto and lost the Impact with the new somewhat bland roundel, and while the new logo for the Fire is good, it's not as good as the original, which was probably the closest any of the original MLS teams founded in the 1990s got to a timeless look.

My guess is that they get rid of all the effects on the grey/white/chrome parts of the logo for a flat look and thats it.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:42 AM, Sykotyk said:

Still remember as a Dynamo fan the "1836" controversy that had the Dynamo name and crest created within weeks. It can be done if enough fans raise up a ruckus.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:58 PM, Brian in Boston said:

"Fiber manufactured in San Diego County is the thread that binds our communities together. Shop local and look for the San Diego Fiber Council seal."

San Diego Fiber would have been better than this.

19 hours ago, Captain Invader said:

Columbus also did a quick backtrack with the name (Columbus SC), and took the triangle out of the logo and replaced it with the 96.

Also, Portland when they unveiled their MLS logo, the fans / Timbers Army revolted, and they came out with a slightly revised logo.

spacer.png

• Like 2