San Diego MLS expansion

MrOrange

On 6/11/2023 at 8:57 AM, WideRight said:

FC Real Sporting Athletic Dynamo San Diego United of Anaheim. 

OK, more seriously, San Diego Surf FC.  Borrowing from NASL California Surf, which was not San Diego but since Sockers seems unlikely.  

Great idea, but I fear it might be too close to the NWSL San Diego Wave thematically. I don't see them going that direction.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Wait—time out: is this San Diego MLS thing already a done deal or is all this speculation in hopes of SD landing an expansion franchise?

(And obytheway, San Diego...ATLUTD kinda already has the red and black thing going—then again, Vancouver being two-tone blue didn't stop SKC and NYCFC from adopting a dang-near similar scheme, so...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

20 minutes ago, tBBP said:

(And obytheway, San Diego...ATLUTD kinda already has the red and black thing going—then again, Vancouver being two-tone blue didn't stop SKC and NYCFC from adopting a dang-near similar scheme, so...)

DC United are nicknamed the Black and Red and Toronto have red and gunmetal gray as their colours, so two teams with similar colour schemes were in the league before ATL, and the Metrostars did play in black and red stripes, so I don't think it will be a problem if FC San Diego FC adopt red and black as their colours.

Can a team pick a halfway unique color scheme? I get there’s a limit (or limitations) but black and red doesn’t scream San Diego (outside of SDSU). Give it beach vibes with light blue, tan, and green for the ocean, or do orange, Houston and NYCFC are the only teams that use orange in any kind of capacity as a full time color or trim. Just anyhting that is at least going to stick out.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Can a team pick a halfway unique color scheme? I get there’s a limit (or limitations) but black and red doesn’t scream San Diego (outside of SDSU). Give it beach vibes with light blue, tan, and green for the ocean, or do orange, Houston and NYCFC are the only teams that use orange in any kind of capacity as a full time color or trim. Just anyhting that is at least going to stick out.

RECAP | FC Cincinnati advance in U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 win over Louisville  City FC | FC Cincinnati

RECAP | FC Cincinnati finish May undefeated with 3-1 road win at NYCFC | FC  Cincinnati

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2023 at 12:37 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Class SC 

Burgundy kits. 

I agree that the kits will be Burgundy, as that's undoubtedly going to be the club's official color.

As for the team's name, I've heard that they're going with Fuẞballverein Walvagina.

The Fuẞballverein Walvagina badge is reportedly centered on a quartered shield and breaks down as follows:

Above the shield - filling the space normally given over to the crest, torse, mantling, and helmet in a coat of arms - is a full, luxurious head of hair.

Upper Left Quarter of the shield - a whale receiving oral pleasure from a panther
Upper Right Quarter of the shield - a flute
Lower Left Quarter of the shield - a bottle of Scotch... Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch
Lower Right Quarter of the shield - the KWVN-TV 4 news bug

Beneath the shield - a scroll shaped like a bold, thick mustache that contains the club's motto, Mantente con Clase, San Diego

We can hope, right? 😉

• LOL 4

10 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I agree that the kits will be Burgundy, as that's undoubtedly going to be the club's official color.

As for the team's name, I've heard that they're going with Fuẞballverein Walvagina.

The Fuẞballverein Walvagina badge is reportedly centered on a quartered shield and breaks down as follows:

Above the shield - filling the space normally given over to the crest, torse, mantling, and helmet in a coat of arms - is a full, luxurious head of hair.

Upper Left Quarter of the shield - a whale receiving oral pleasure from a panther
Upper Right Quarter of the shield - a flute
Lower Left Quarter of the shield - a bottle of Scotch... Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch
Lower Right Quarter shield - the KWVN-TV 4 news bug

Beneath the shield - a scroll shaped like a bold, thick mustache that contains the club's motto, Mantente con Clase, San Diego

We can hope, right? 😉

Needs some diversity.

Agnethe" medieval ship replica | Medieval, Ship, Boat

• LOL 2

On 6/10/2023 at 11:58 PM, SSmith48 said:

Would have loved them to go the old NASL route and pick up the Sockers names, but that's already taken by a local MASL team. Leaning into a Mexican-inspired club name/imagery would be a nice touch, although a "Club San Diego" is a bit generic. Maybe an Atletico/Club Atletico name? Or lean into the SoCal roots and go with San Diego Sol? 

Whatever name they go with, there's enough cultural heritage in SD to get a brand that's visually impactful and connects locally, as long as they don't over-corporatize it. I'm a proponent for a bright and bold color scheme with some Mexican visual elements included, given the city's proximity to the border and heavy Latino presence.

As long as it isn't the lazy route every other team seems to take when trying to tie into Mexican heritage: San Diego Los FC or something stupid like that. 99% of every team that tries to tie branding into their Mexican fanbase does something awful like that. 

My college-age daughter had a good one the other day: San Diego Tsunami (FC, SC, AC, whatever Europhilic way they want to go).

Complement to the San Diego Waves NWSL team.  Nice alliteration. 

(full disclosure: that was the last playground team she and her cousin and friends played for ( and I coached) before moving up to high school soccer-- they got to pick the name and the colors-- neon yellow, aqua and black)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It is what it is.