San Diego MLS expansion

MrOrange

12 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

San Diego Sockers SC.🟨🟦⚽

I'm sure there's a soft spot for this name in San Diego, but the old NASL names that treated the sport like a cute novelty just don't work for me. Sockers and the Minnesota Kicks (as much as I loved them) are two brands that should stay retired. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

• 2 weeks later...

My oh my this is bad. It looks like a logo designed for an U12 traveling team in 2012. Absolutely nothing unique, local, or memorable about this. I’d be quite shocked if this logo ever makes it on the pitch. 

According to The Athletic, the colors are “chrome and azul.” Woof.  How will they even treat “chrome” as a color in print, merchandise, and especially jerseys? This isn’t a Mountain West football team from 2015. 

This is bar none the worst identity to come out of MLS, and that’s really saying something when you look at most pre-2010 logos. 

• Like 7

spacer.png

I’m a little shocked the league office let this happen. I’m used to MLS identities being dull, safe disappointments… but not as outright amateurish and dated from the jump like this. I feel like asking what they were thinking about every part of it.

• Like 4

San Diego FC logo revealed; team to start play in MLS in 2025

The club’s official colors were labeled in the explainer as “chrome and azul,” while the crest is said to center around four “principal virtues” that define San Diego: “Gratitude, proud, not loud, diversity and a state of flow.”

That flow motif is evident in the central portion of the crest, which the club points out consists of “18 lines representing the 18 communities of San Diego County.”

“The flow,” the club says, “symbolizes how we perform at a peak level while embracing San Diego’s unique rhythm of life.”

The curvature of the “San Diego” at the top of the crest is said to be a nod to the the arches woven into the city’s architecture.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."