San Diego MLS expansion

MrOrange

Not going to happen, but wouldn't it be funny if the new San Diego franchise defied recent convention and went all minor league with their name? I'd welcome the San Diego Fish Tacos at this point. Or the San Diego Naval Ships of Southern California. Or the La Jolla Hoyas. Something beyond the standard FC/United/CITY whatevers.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, MrOrange said:

the "Loyal" name/reasoning is indeed dumb for the reasons stated above, among others.

If they can't achieve a miracle to survive in USL once SanDiegoMLS is here, they will likely either

• cease to exist as a pro (outdoor) soccer team
  • or
  • betray the "loyal to the soil" -mantra and have to move elsewhere (example Austin Bold FC)

I see someone in that front office is up on their E-40....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"AFC" as in "American Football Club"? I thought "American football" was "handegg." That wouldn't work. 

The women's soccer names are a little corny, but at least they're relatively true to North American sports conventions, which I think is more important than respecting sport-specific conventions. Hockey is a Canadian sport but there's a Swedish team called HV71. You get the picture.

Even if there are going to be teams called "[city] FC" officially, they should still have well-known nicknames. What am I really supposed to call Nashville FC, Charlotte FC, Cincinnati FC, St. Louis City FC, etc.? It's boring.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

58 minutes ago, the admiral said:

"AFC" as in "American Football Club"? I thought "American football" was "handegg." That wouldn't work. 

The women's soccer names are a little corny, but at least they're relatively true to North American sports conventions, which I think is more important than respecting sport-specific conventions. Hockey is a Canadian sport but there's a Swedish team called HV71. You get the picture.

Even if there are going to be teams called "[city] FC" officially, they should still have well-known nicknames. What am I really supposed to call Nashville FC, Charlotte FC, Cincinnati FC, St. Louis City FC, etc.? It's boring.

Charlotte FC is nicknamed The Crown, but it would have been so much more memorable if the team had chosen the actual Charlotte Crown name that was on the shortlist of the eight considered names. Charlotte Monarchs was also on that list too, along with probably the most interesting one, Charlotte Fortune, an awesome name with a double meaning, but no, instead the choice of David Tepper was the banal one.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

HOWEVER, American Football teams tend to name themselves American names when in Europe. They're trying to be like what people know. That's why there's a Vienna Vikings and Tirol Raiders.

As for names, they come up on their own. Some reference the club, team, city, fans, etc.

Toronto FC - Reds

FC Cincinnati - Lions/Orange and Blue

Minnesota United - Loons

Atlanta United - Five Stripes

Sporting KC - Blue/Blues (The Cauldron/Blue Hell is their stadium nickname):

ibvjoaekl3qbyue6j25m.jpg

Nashville SC - Coyotes

FC Dallas - Hoops

Austin FC - Verde/El Verde/The Verde

Orlando City SC - Lions

NYCFC - Pigeons

LAFC - Black and Gold

St Louis CITY SC - (too early to tell)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

"AFC" as in "American Football Club"?

"AFC" as in "association football club", as "association" gives us the abbreviation "assoc.", which is the origin of the word "soccer".

What am I really supposed to call Nashville FC, Charlotte FC, Cincinnati FC, St. Louis City FC, etc.?

You're supposed to call them "Nashville", "Charlotte", "Cincinnati", "St. Louis", etc, just as you refer to Liverpool, Barcelona, Napoli, etc.

they should still have well-known nicknames.

As @Sykotyk has pointed out, the nicknames are developing.

By the way, this is the same way that nicknames developed in the early years of pro baseball.  When the team that we now call the Braves was founded in Boston at the start of the National League in 1876, the nicknames that fans used for them were "Red Stockings" and later "Beaneaters". The name "Braves" came about because one of the team's owners was part of the corrupt New York political faction called Tammany Hall, which also used that term.

The Dodgers went through plenty of fan-created nicknames, such as "Bridegrooms", "Superbas", and "Robins" (the last one being in reference to their manager Wilbert Robinson, the old catcher for the John McGraw / Wee Willie Keeler NL Baltimore Orioles).  Indeed, even "Dodgers" itself arose organically, as Brooklyn residents were then often called "trolley dodgers", due to the many trolley lines that were found there.

The Yankees' original nickname, "Highlanders", came about because the team's park was located at the top of of a hill (and was called Hilltop Park).  The team came to be called the Yankees only because newspapers started using the shorter term "Yanks" in their headlines, and fans picked up on it.

To see this process play out for soccer clubs in North America is wonderful. Everyone knows what team you are referring to when you say the Red Devils or the Magpies (even if colour names such as the Blues and the Reds have many possible referrents); likewise, we are getting to the point where we can speak with the same ease of the Pigeons playing the Lions.

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

FCC, The Orange and Blue, FC Cincy, Knifey Lions, and The Garys are the several nicknames Ive heard for FC Cincinnati, but never just the Lions. Thats Orlando.

Signature intentionally left blank

9 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

FCC, The Orange and Blue, FC Cincy, Knifey Lions, and The Garys are the several nicknames Ive heard for FC Cincinnati, but never just the Lions. Thats Orlando.

Never heard Knifey Lions, but that's funny. Orange and Blue I would say has been the most common name I've heard from afar (other end of the state) or just FCC/FC Cincy.

8 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

HOWEVER, American Football teams tend to name themselves American names when in Europe. They're trying to be like what people know. That's why there's a Vienna Vikings and Tirol Raiders.

As for names, they come up on their own. Some reference the club, team, city, fans, etc.

Toronto FC - Reds

Minnesota United - Loons

ibvjoaekl3qbyue6j25m.jpg

Nashville SC - Coyotes

FC Dallas - Hoops

Orlando City SC - Lions

NYCFC - Pigeons

LAFC - Black and Gold

Wait...what??? :blink: 

How/when/why did they choose THAT nickname??

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

42 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Wait...what??? :blink: 

How/when/why did they choose THAT nickname??

b51cetshu1kwihxk5prb.jpg

Let me introduce Tempo the Coyote, Nashville SC's mascot. He was introduced as such in January 2021 as GEODIS Park was being built.

Article about Tempo: https://www.nashvillesc.com/news/nashville-sc-introduces-official-team-mascot-tempo-coyote

Tempo's page on team website: https://www.nashvillesc.com/tempothecoyote

He also has his own IG and Twitter.

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Toronto FC - Reds

Minnesota United - Loons

ibvjoaekl3qbyue6j25m.jpg

Nashville SC - Coyotes

FC Dallas - Hoops

Orlando City SC - Lions

NYCFC - Pigeons

LAFC - Black and Gold

A team from Kansas City calling themselves the Blues would be great for the rivalry with St. Louis if any of them cared about soccer

52 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

A team from Kansas City calling themselves the Blues would be great for the rivalry with St. Louis if any of them cared about soccer

Yeah, it is a bit of an oddity. Closest I can think is that Columbus Crew are black and yellow, owned by the Browns' owner whose chief rival is the Steelers who are black and yellow.  But at least the names are different.

What's REALLY strange is that KC/STL are in their first true rivalry. Royals/Cardinals played for a World Series title against one another. And interleague lets them play. But year-to-year, what happens with their games really doesn't affect the other team much other than the W/L outcome. They're not competing for the same playoff spots or division titles.

In the NFL, the Rams are no longer in St. Louis. But even then, the same general situation as the Royals/Cardinals. AFC/NFC, and not much of a rivalry when they did play. Chiefs went 6-0-0 against the Rams in the regular season.

NHL, Kansas City doesn't have a team. NBA, neither have teams.

MLS? Both have teams and both in the same conference. So, it's not just getting another 1 or 3 points. It's you are hindering your rival by beating them for the same playoff spots you're both playing for.

That's surprisingly new for Missouri*.

But, of course, Sporting KC is in Kansas. HAHA

As for caring?

030523-wp-cityscfans-02.jpg

sportingCROPPED.jpg

Yeah, obviously don't care.

• Like 1

I hadn't realized SKC and CITY played each other already.

Let's check the uni matchup and...

64698a653d2a2.image.jpg?resize=750,500

6469a44147d4e.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Well that's...different.

Also...what is MLS' aversion to contrast in their kits?? Both those kits would look better with navy shorts (IMO).

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

Kansas City had several baseball teams named the Blues long before the St Louis hockey team came around. Nevertheless...

Yeah none of them were concurrent with the hockey team. The last was a minor league baseball team that moved to Denver a dozen years before St. Louis joined the NHL

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I hadn't realized SKC and CITY played each other already.

Let's check the uni matchup and...

64698a653d2a2.image.jpg?resize=750,500

6469a44147d4e.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Well that's...different.

Also...what is MLS' aversion to contrast in their kits?? Both those kits would look better with navy shorts (IMO).

Seems to be a recent trend.

SKC always had interesting uniforms. Usually a lot of stripes with their designs (horizontal, not vertical):

antonio-carlos-of-orlando-city-slide-tac

but this was what they won their title in:

559713_10151458280637042_529539398_n.0.j

At least they gave up the mismatched sleeve look. I tried looking back because I swear they had dark blue shorts in the past but none of the quick photos I could find showed them.

Here's a few randoms. This appears to be 2016:

sporting-kc-2016jpg.jpg

Anything is better than this (1996):

football_shirt_13140_1_375x500x1.jpg