2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

Because he's soft, overrated, and not needed with Gobert. He's not the reason they're 8-2.

I felt that way about him after last season.  But so far this year, based on what I've seen and read from beat reporters, he's finally filling that role of the No. 2 superstar on this team, which he is. 

He and Gobert are not one-for-one duplicates. They're fundamentally different players, so suggesting we don't need one because we've got the other doesn't make a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

So this has the potential to be a big story.

Sixers Kelly Obure was allegedly hit by a car while crossing the street the other night, the driver fled, and he was left with broken ribs and other injuries.  Supposed to miss "significant time". This was allegedly in Center City Phila, at 7PM, where there would have been hundreds of people there, but no witnesses.

Police have said that they've gone through security cameras of all the businesses in the area, and have found no evidence of anyone being hit by a car.

Now it's being reported by "sources" that seem legit, that he made up the hit and run to cover up for a domestic incident.  I've never heard of this guy, but apparently he was having a good start to the season.  Curious what kind of domestic incident would leave him with broken ribs, unless the story was also designed to cover something else up.  Really interested in where this goes.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

37 minutes ago, BBTV said:

So this has the potential to be a big story.

Sixers Kelly Obure was allegedly hit by a car while crossing the street the other night, the driver fled, and he was left with broken ribs and other injuries.  Supposed to miss "significant time". This was allegedly in Center City Phila, at 7PM, where there would have been hundreds of people there, but no witnesses.

Police have said that they've gone through security cameras of all the businesses in the area, and have found no evidence of anyone being hit by a car.

Now it's being reported by "sources" that seem legit, that he made up the hit and run to cover up for a domestic incident.  I've never heard of this guy, but apparently he was having a good start to the season.  Curious what kind of domestic incident would leave him with broken ribs, unless the story was also designed to cover something else up.  Really interested in where this goes.  

Now TMZ is claiming to have footage of him after being hit by the car... which we still don't know actually happened.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

He and Gobert are not one-for-one duplicates. They're fundamentally different players, so suggesting we don't need one because we've got the other doesn't make a lot of sense. 

They're both lumbering centers who, defensively, can't guard the perimeter or really stay with anyone besides the other team's center. Gobert is a DPoY-level rim protector, while Towns sucks defensively and everything he is good at (mainly scoring and making excuses) is highly replaceable, especially considering the Wolves also have Naz Reid behind them. Maybe in 2003 the twin towers thing would have been optimal since that's how everyone else was operating, but not now.

(normally I hate the "today's NBA" argument, if only because it's typically made by the same kind of lazy idiots who kept spamming "paradigm shift" back during Tebowmania, but in this case it really is the reason)

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

I've never heard of this guy, but apparently he was having a good start to the season.  Curious what kind of domestic incident would leave him with broken ribs, unless the story was also designed to cover something else up.  Really interested in where this goes.  

Generic Moreyball forward, poor man's Kyle Kuzma, most memorable NBA moment is starting a fight with Kelly Olynyk in a Celtics-Wizards playoff series in 2017 with actual tears in his eyes like that crying wojak meme.

Regarding the bold... I think we can guess.

On 2023-11-15 at 4:08 AM, who do you think said:

Someone just needs to knock Green out cold. It's the only appropriate comeuppance for his career of BS, I still remember him holding Sabonis down on the floor in the backcourt during one of the Kings games last spring and nobody even cared. The league has never and will never do anything substantial about him, not with a gaping LOLcat like Adam Silver in charge and definitely not now that he's weaseled his way into the occasional TNT studio appearance.

Minnesota sounds sufficiently pissed off about this, they've started off and this may help them keep it going. If they can trade Towns for something useful they might be a threat this year.

I enjoyed the ESPN guys yesterday solemnly explaining how they hope this five-game suspension will finally send a message to Draymond. Maybe it would make a difference for some young player who doesn't have his history, but I can't imagine how they all kept straight faces through it. If the teammate sucker-punch in practice somehow wasn't rock bottom for this guy, how do you maintain any benefit of doubt afterward? Would like to see a pundit say "He's a loose cannon who makes his workplace unsafe and he needs to find different meds."

21 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I am usually a big Steve Kerr fan, but I was a little disappointed in his comical defense of his player and suggestion that Gobert did the same thing. L O L.

I am not a Kerr fan, and that's his usual act of being a complete sycophant to his star players. Going to be fun to see him maintain his elite coach persona when he doesn't have Steph Curry's generational star-turn to hide behind.

• Like 1

Wasn't Kerr supposed to be a vegetable by now? I remember a bunch of stuff back in 16-17 about how he could barely make it out to the court because his spine was melting and it was a degenerative condition or something.

EDIT: does [alternate term for vagina that starts with a P] automatically censor to LOLcat or did a mod do that? 😂

On 11/15/2023 at 10:56 PM, who do you think said:

They're both lumbering centers who, defensively, can't guard the perimeter or really stay with anyone besides the other team's center. Gobert is a DPoY-level rim protector, while Towns sucks defensively and everything he is good at (mainly scoring and making excuses) is highly replaceable, especially considering the Wolves also have Naz Reid behind them. Maybe in 2003 the twin towers thing would have been optimal since that's how everyone else was operating, but not now.

(normally I hate the "today's NBA" argument, if only because it's typically made by the same kind of lazy idiots who kept spamming "paradigm shift" back during Tebowmania, but in this case it really is the reason)

This is kind of just nonsense, Towns is fine defensively on the perimeter, it's easily his best trait as a defender, just look at the 2022 Wolves. That team was a top 15 team defensively, with not really good defensive talent besides Vanderbilt and Pat Bev, and Towns played totally fine as part of a wall instead of a rim protector, which yeah he is bad at, but his speed (he's not a lumbering center, the guys best play offensively is a drive to the rim, lol) allows him to keep up fine in the perimeter. Gobert is also a totally fine, if not good defender on the perimeter, the fact that Terrance Mann hit 100 contested 3s against him where he had to also defend the paint because those Jazz teams had maybe one other plus defender on the roster, does not make him a bad defender, much less can't guard it.

Honestly, the hate for Towns is such personal biased, aesthetic based silliness. Outside of his subpar rim protection and foul issues, there's nothing about his game that is really bad, or wouldn't translate to a winning team, it's just kinda easy to see him as a choker because he's a goofy looking light skinned guy with a high voice, and ant as this DAWG KILLER nonsense because he kinda looks like MJ and has a ok mid range. It's nonsense for the most part, and since that Celtics game, Towns has been better then Ant, their both All Star, low All NBA guys, trading someone like that is just stupid, esp when there hasn't been issues with fit with Gobert so far!

• Like 1
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

8 hours ago, BottomlessPitt said:

Dolan is just a miserable piece of garbage who inherited all of his wealth. His ass needs to be removed from owning anything. 

He also pays people to be his friends. Clearly.

sometimes I go down the James Dolan's :censored:ty band rabbit hole. That he pretends that he's in a legitimate band based on his talent instead of doing a Richie Rich is so funny to me. Pathetic, but also funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Greg Popovich got on the mic in the middle of the game to scold Spurs fans for booing Kawhi Leonard. Just yelled at them like they were unruly children at a homecoming rally! It's one thing to get on the mic in a last-ditch plea for sanity if, like, everyone's throwing garbage and a riot is about to break out, yeah, but just booing the road team shooting free throws? Imagine that kind of scolding for booing the guy who left town in baseball or the NHL, where it's every at-bat or every puck possession. You can't. That's King Canute commanding the sea. What a bizarre, bizarre league.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Popovich trying to censor fans (who pay his salary) from booing a guy who wanted out of San Antonio. Dude went looking for his Sam Wyche moment, came off looking like a complete clown.

Also, shoutout to Spurs fans for booing louder for his 2nd free throw.

6uXNWAo.png

On 11/22/2023 at 1:31 AM, SailorOfSilence102 said:

This is kind of just nonsense, Towns is fine defensively on the perimeter, it's easily his best trait as a defender, just look at the 2022 Wolves. That team was a top 15 team defensively, with not really good defensive talent besides Vanderbilt and Pat Bev, and Towns played totally fine as part of a wall instead of a rim protector, which yeah he is bad at, but his speed (he's not a lumbering center, the guys best play offensively is a drive to the rim, lol) allows him to keep up fine in the perimeter. Gobert is also a totally fine, if not good defender on the perimeter, the fact that Terrance Mann hit 100 contested 3s against him where he had to also defend the paint because those Jazz teams had maybe one other plus defender on the roster, does not make him a bad defender, much less can't guard it.

"He was okay that one year when they were top 15 in a 30 team league" isn't the endorsement that you think it is, especially for a guy at a position that's supposed to serve as a team's defensive anchor.

If Gobert is fine - better than fine, certainly better than Towns - when he gets dragged out and has to guard the perimeter, then legitimately what do you need Towns for? He's always a step slow defensively. If his best offensive play comes around the rim, why does he camp the perimeter all the time? Because he's soft. It's 2023, big guys that shoot threes and underwhelm on defense pretty much grow on trees now. No reason to pay one of them $36M to be doing that, especially in a league where there's always a handful of foolish GMs infatuated with underachievers like Towns and probably willing to part with something more valuable.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:31 AM, SailorOfSilence102 said:

Honestly, the hate for Towns is such personal biased, aesthetic based silliness. Outside of his subpar rim protection and foul issues, there's nothing about his game that is really bad, or wouldn't translate to a winning team, it's just kinda easy to see him as a choker because he's a goofy looking light skinned guy with a high voice, and ant as this DAWG KILLER nonsense because he kinda looks like MJ and has a ok mid range. It's nonsense for the most part, and since that Celtics game, Towns has been better then Ant, their both All Star, low All NBA guys, trading someone like that is just stupid, esp when there hasn't been issues with fit with Gobert so far!

Your words, not mine. Regarding fit issues, what the hell do you call last season?

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Greg Popovich got on the mic in the middle of the game to scold Spurs fans for booing Kawhi Leonard. Just yelled at them like they were unruly children at a homecoming rally! It's one thing to get on the mic in a last-ditch plea for sanity if, like, everyone's throwing garbage and a riot is about to break out, yeah, but just booing the road team shooting free throws? Imagine that kind of scolding for booing the guy who left town in baseball or the NHL, where it's every at-bat or every puck possession. You can't. That's King Canute commanding the sea. What a bizarre, bizarre league.

Popovich lost his mind after his wife died. Not that he was the most vanilla guy before, but I feel like that was when he started doing mildly unhinged things like this and hijacking his own press conferences to soapbox about some unrelated political BS.

Josh Giddey is sure happy Pop is today's lead story.

Also, the Wolves are 11-3. KAT isn't going anywhere and shouldn't be going anywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, who do you think said:

Popovich lost his mind after his wife died. Not that he was the most vanilla guy before, but I feel like that was when he started doing mildly unhinged things like this and hijacking his own press conferences to soapbox about some unrelated political BS.

Did his wife die in 2000? Popobitch has been a batshyte asshat for decades.

6uXNWAo.png

I remember Popovich always being kind of tedious in a basketball-Belichick way. The healthy-scratch crisis was like 2011 or 2012, but that was in service of winning a title.  He didn't join LeBron James as one of America's leading public intellectuals until the Silver era.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫