2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

8 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Draft picks are two first, two seconds and a pick swap. 

If more than two of Harden/Russ/Kawhi/PG13 are healthy come playoff time I’ll be shocked. 

I'll take a stab at it and say that the draft picks are somewhere in the 2030's.  

First rounder in 2028, pick swap, and Clippers will send some other team's first rounder, I don't care to look up whose picks they own.

The 2024 notable free agents class consists of Kawhi (never healthy and probably never will be again), Siakam (nothing special), Maxey (their own guy), Paul George (will be 34, reputation exceeds accomplishments), and old man LeBron. I don't see any of those guys turning this around. It might be Joever.

In case anyone forgot, the Sixers had the #3, #1, and #1 picks from 2015-17 and found a bust who liked to get into street fights, a thief, and a guy with the yips. The fact that they got Embiid right before that takes some of the sting off, but... yeah. You can't really fault the picks either without being a MMQB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of this in-season tourney? Seems absolutely mental to risk injuries for some Dollar Tree trophy.

They're just designating certain regular season games as "tournament games", so they count towards both their regular season records & tournament group standings. Only the two teams who make it to the finals will play an extra game.

It remains to be seen whether or not the players will actually care, but there is a financial prize, and the league is likely pressuring the PA to make sure guys know that this is important to the league.

4 minutes ago, alxy8s said:

they honored his trade demand

I suppose the option would be to hang onto him like they did with Ben Simmons and then make a deadline deal, but when a guy says that he'll only suit up for one team, you lose all leverage if that team falls out of contention by the deadline and has no reason to trade for him.

I could be wrong because I don't watch much NBA, but if getting rid of Harden allows for Tyrese Maxey to become a star, then it's basically a break-even trade for the Sixers, even if what they got in return was technically already on the roster.  Regardless, it doesn't seem like they're contenders to get out of the second (if first) round this year, so it's just a bad situation all around (except for Harden.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, alxy8s said:

Lovely that James Harden did exactly nothing for Philly and they honored his trade demand, while Portland couldn't be bothered with what Damian Lillard wanted.

Dame didn't nuke his value the same way Harden did, and Harden doesn't care about his career the same way Dame does.

They're similar situations, but ultimately very different. Especially considering how much better Portland did on recouping value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There seems to be still a decent chance Embiid asks for a trade and this whole thing combusts on itself.

I hope we end up at least being done with econ nerds running basketball teams for a while.

Has it ever been? Outside of the small markets that can’t get the superstar players and having to moneyball it so to speak, everyone knows you need atleast one superstar to be competitive and 2-3 to be a championship contender.

3 hours ago, alxy8s said:

Lovely that James Harden did exactly nothing for Philly and they honored his trade demand, while Portland couldn't be bothered with what Damian Lillard wanted.

What do you mean? Are you saying they should've traded him to Miami, no matter what, for whatever they offered, regardless if it is what they wanted in return?

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There seems to be still a decent chance Embiid asks for a trade and this whole thing combusts on itself.

It ain't gonna happen—because exactly who would they give up?—but I wouldn't mind seeing him in Memphis. Lord knows the Grizz needs SOME kind of size in the low post, and right now they ain't got it...

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

I suppose the option would be to hang onto him like they did with Ben Simmons and then make a deadline deal, but when a guy says that he'll only suit up for one team, you lose all leverage if that team falls out of contention by the deadline and has no reason to trade for him.

I could be wrong because I don't watch much NBA, but if getting rid of Harden allows for Tyrese Maxey to become a star, then it's basically a break-even trade for the Sixers, even if what they got in return was technically already on the roster.  Regardless, it doesn't seem like they're contenders to get out of the second (if first) round this year, so it's just a bad situation all around (except for Harden.)

Granted, I'm no expert, but from what I saw of Tyrese Maxey in the games I did watch last season, dude is a breakout star in the making. I hope he does well up there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

It ain't gonna happen

I think it's not only possible, but probable.  I think he genuinely likes playing here, but he's never recovered from the front office choosing Tobias Harris over Jimmy Butler (granted, pre-Morey) and he's said some passive-aggressive things in the past that could be interpreted as him understanding his prime is being wasted by this revolving door of Robins and Jokers.

If Maxey doesn't take a giant leap forward this year and prove to be the #2 he needs to win, even if not this season, I could see him asking out.  It would be very out of character for him to do something like that, but at some point he'll be pushed over the edge.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Speaking of Embiid, he got banged for $35k for doing the DX chop again.

EDIT: X/Twitter issues again.... stand by

Edited by officeglenn

Too bad the Sixers are on the road.  Wouldn't it be a pity if Embiid ended up with some fluke injury...

The Celtics are 4-0 after obliterating the Halliburton-less Pacers and hitting every three they took, then subbing in Hauser and Pritchard for garbage time and them hitting every three they took. Celtics reddit/twitter/internet is of course jerking themselves off about the offseason moves and how much better the team looks, as if last year's Celtics didn't start off on like a 67 win pace in exactly the same fashion before the other shoe dropped in December.

> why do you look at reddit when all it does is make you roll your eyes and then go whine about it on a logos forum

Don't worry about it.

• Like 1