New logo for Bugatti. Bland rebrand trend continues...

Ettore Bugatti once said "Nothing is too Beautiful, nothing is too expensive".  His designs were intricate, forward thinking and when it came to luxury, the dude didn't take half measures. I doubt he would have approved of the blanding out of the logo in the slightest.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

It looks like the name on the mailbox in front of old man Bugatti's house down the street.

What a ridiculous downgrade . . . which probably cost an exorbitant amount of money.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

personally I think people who design """"""logos"""""" like this and receive gorillions of dollars to do so should be jailed.

At the same time who are the people approving these “designs” saying “yea that looks much better than our current logo, here is a gorilla on dollars.” They should be jailed too

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

I'm all for the hysterics any time a classic logo gets updated, but the Bugatti badge has always been fugly and without seeing any of the new direction in context (the actual car badge, marketing materials, website, etc), this could absolutely be an improvement.

EDIT: Yeah, stop taking branding opinions from dumb car enthusiasts seriously... this is great. Going from red to blue is a bold choice, but red is already synonymous with Ferrari and yellow with Lamborghini, so the blue gives them something to own. 

Bugatti_new-CDCI-4.png

fit-in:3840x3840

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, GFB said:

I'm all for the hysterics any time a classic logo gets updated, but the Bugatti badge has always been fugly and without seeing any of the new direction in context (the actual car badge, marketing materials, website, etc), this could absolutely be an improvement.

Problem with this update is that it not only gets rid of everything except the font and the EB monogram, it's also part of a trend that would have, quite simply, been anethema to Ettore Bugatti. The last word when you think of Bugatti, of the cars it has made, is minimalism.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, VampyrRabbit said:

Problem with this update is that it not only gets rid of everything except the font and the EB monogram, it's also part of a trend that would have, quite simply, been anethema to Ettore Bugatti. The last word when you think of Bugatti, of the cars it has made, is minimalism.

Again, that's a rudimentary interpretation of the brand direction. You say it's minimalistic and therefore fundamentally opposed to the vision of Bugatti;  I say it's restrained on purpose to highlight and allow the opulence of the car photography and lighting textures to shine through. If the branding was as visually stimulating as the car,  there's a real argument to be made that you're only muddying the water. 

It's why the best football helmets (Bengals, Eagles, Rams, Wolverines, etc) work better when they are allowed to be the centerpiece of the design with restraint, instead of having to compete for attention against loud/busy jerseys and pants. 

There is absolutely a time and a place to wring your hands about a brand going way too vanilla... Johnson & Johnson is a great example. But there's a clear vision and purpose to this rebrand and, considering what it's replacing (again, there's not a lot of actual replacing being done, just clean up work), it's probably an upgrade.

Even if you don't care for it, it's far from "professional robbery" as so many posters in this thread have stated. 

• Like 8
  • Dislike 2

9 hours ago, GFB said:

Again, that's a rudimentary interpretation of the brand direction. You say it's minimalistic and therefore fundamentally opposed to the vision of Bugatti;  I say it's restrained on purpose to highlight and allow the opulence of the car photography and lighting textures to shine through. If the branding was as visually stimulating as the car,  there's a real argument to be made that you're only muddying the water.

There is absolutely a time and a place to wring your hands about a brand going way too vanilla... Johnson & Johnson is a great example. But there's a clear vision and purpose to this rebrand and, considering what it's replacing (again, there's not a lot of actual replacing being done, just clean up work), it's probably an upgrade.

There is being restrained and then there is blanding something the f*** out. The new Bugatti logo is a textbook example of the latter. All they had to do was drop the gradients and get shot of the drop shadow. Instead, they got rid of almost everything except the font.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 2

While the logo is simpler, the entire brand direction is the exact opposite of "blanded the f*** out." 

If you tell me with a straight face that the new branding is more "bland," then I'm never going to be able to convince you of anything.

Showroom_Bugatti_UAE_Dubai.jpg2021-Bugatti-Chiron-Pur-Sport-Showroom-S

112546.png?filename=Bugatti%20web%201.pn

2_BUG_Before.jpg 

7_BUG_BUGATTI-Blue.jpg

0nrH0-x-JHI.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GFB said:

While the logo is simpler, the entire brand direction is the exact opposite of "blanded the f*** out." 

If you tell me with a straight face that the new branding is more "bland," then I'm never going to be able to convince you of anything.

I was talking about the logo, and as that is part of the brand, which with this rebrand, fits in with the wider trend of the minimalism at present, and its a trend that Ettore Bugatti would, judging by his creations and his family history (his father was a jeweller and a key figure in the Art Nouveau movement), would have wanted no part of.

And to my eyes, the new branding does feel more bland, and fits in with the trend towards minimalism. It feels colder, more sterile and a VW group product rather than carrying on the legacy of the orginal company, with the logo not even looking like a logo, rather just the name of the company in a font that is almost identical to the ones used on German trains.

• Dislike 1

On 10/24/2023 at 7:56 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

Ettore Bugatti once said "Nothing is too Beautiful, nothing is too expensive".  His designs were intricate, forward thinking and when it came to luxury, the dude didn't take half measures. I doubt he would have approved of the blanding out of the logo in the slightest.

He's still spinning from somebody using his name to make generic supercars in Italy.

2560px-1995_Bugatti_EB110SS_in_Blu_Bugatti,_front_left_(Greenwich).jpg

It'll be a while before he can muster up the rage for separating the wordmark and EB marks out of a roundel.

On 2023-10-27 at 6:25 PM, SFGiants58 said:

He's still spinning from somebody using his name to make generic supercars in Italy.

2560px-1995_Bugatti_EB110SS_in_Blu_Bugatti,_front_left_(Greenwich).jpg

It'll be a while before he can muster up the rage for separating the wordmark and EB marks out of a roundel.

On one hand, the EB110 did have quad turbos, four wheel drive and in the SuperSport configuration as in that picture, it put out more power than almost anything, and to be fair, the styling was quite distinctive. On the other, that styling was challenging to say the least, and it was launched at the same time as a global recession and as the McLaren F1.

Anyway, they aren't actually changing the logo that goes on the horseshoe grille, which is probably the most important thing and on which it looks great. The article in the OP is from 2022, and they haven't changed the badge on the new Mistral, so it looks like they aren't changing the logo for where it matters the most.

• 3 weeks later...