2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

18 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Black numbers on the whites would clash too much with the rest of the uniform. Like how the Sharks went all in on teal but then changed the road teal numbers to black for some reason.

The Sharks road Jersey has more black on it than teal, which is the likely reason that the numbers for the road were made black when the new style was introduced.

13 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The sharks announced dates for their black uniform this season. I thought teams weren't wearing a third uniform this season?

I believe that teams weren't allowed to introduce new alternates but existing alternates could continue to be worn.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

18 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I believe that teams weren't allowed to introduce new alternates but existing alternates could continue to be worn.

Right. The only new designs this year are the Kings, Ducks, and Utah HC primaries, along with the Winter Classic and Stadium Series jerseys.

On 10/2/2024 at 12:39 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

The Sharks road Jersey has more black on it than teal, which is the likely reason that the numbers for the road were made black when the new style was introduced.

Maybe that'd be the case if the pants were black, but the teal pants (and sometimes helmets) make the black numbers look out of place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Maybe that'd be the case if the pants were black, but the teal pants (and sometimes helmets) make the black numbers look out of place.

The black numbers have a teal border and match up perfectly with the jersey and given that the breezers have two black stripes on them, I don't think they look out of place.

As for the teal helmet, that should be left behind at the Shark Tank when the team are on the road.

Serious question: what is the aversion so many have to hockey teams wearing colored helmets with white jerseys (other than "just because...tradition")??

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Serious question: what is the aversion so many have to hockey teams wearing colored helmets with white jerseys (other than "just because...tradition")??

I'd mostly say color balance.  I can't put my finger on it but it just looks really strange when you see a colored helmet with a white uniform, especially when you don't have a cage on the helmet like college.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2024 at 1:17 AM, ruttep said:

spacer.png

It feels like they took this uniform and made it more orange.

It's pretty much the same striping pattern as the new uniforms and it shows that this look is way more balanced with black helmets and pants.

They took this uniform and made it worse in every single possible way

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Better separation in scrums is a reason I had always heard. Another is that it just looks cheap. Even major-junior teams usually only have one helmet.  Personally, I think it's useful to create more distinction between home and road uniforms. I can't think of a white uniform that would be improved by a colored helmet.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

Color balance and yes, tradition. There's nothing wrong with white helmets, and white uniforms in general. I grew up watching hockey with home teams wearing white and I kinda hate how it's become almost an afterthought in recent years. I get the feeling that if allowed, some teams would just drop their white uni if they could. They used to treat home and away uniforms with equal respect. I don't want hockey to become like soccer or the NBA where home and away designation is a thing of the past
The dark helmet with white jersey is just another trend, it feels like teams are doing it just to be different, no because it looks better, because it doesn't. Few teams can get away with it, namely the Devils because the black shoulder yoke works fine with the black helmet. Then again, it just screams minor league hockey. Like that high school team that runs on a tight budget and can't afford two sets of helmets

TLDR: Nothing wrong with white helmets and trend chasing is stupid and boring

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tBBP said:

I'll parrot what everyone has said and go for tradition & colour balance. But honestly, I find both of them to be debatable.

With the latter, I can understand that a white jersey + white helmet combo is fine and all. However, if a white jersey happens to have a coloured shoulder, a coloured helmet isn't the worst thing to happen in the world.

I disagree with the former, though. Tradition is but a crapshoot if all it means is to see the same overall design over and over again. Sure, it gives birth to abominations like the Sabres Turdburger jersey, the 2024 All Star Bieber-designed jerseys, and countless 90s alternates and Stadium Series jerseys and I have no doubt not everyone is a fan of them. But to stay with tradition without going out safe spaces is to restrict yourself from more sophisticated, yet beautiful jerseys.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, tBBP said:

The way I see it, the helmet isn't meant to be a focal point of a hockey uniform the way it is for football. The NHL only made helmets mandatory in the '70s and we still had guys playing without them into the '90s. A helmet should blend in seamlessly with the rest of the uniform, not stand out. It's the same reason the Knights gold helmets looked awful with the grey jerseys.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

As someone with no preconception of colored helmets being "minor league", I adore the additional color that they bring to matchups. As long as they appropriately contrast with the other team (so no red helmet vs red helmet matches, etc) I think they're a great innovation to the NHL's aesthetics, especially when there's a matching yoke.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

35 minutes ago, sky1324 said:

As someone with no preconception of colored helmets being "minor league", I adore the additional color that they bring to matchups. As long as they appropriately contrast with the other team (so no red helmet vs red helmet matches, etc) I think they're a great innovation to the NHL's aesthetics, especially when there's a matching yoke.

Exactly! Colored helmets with white jerseys looks fantastic, IMO. I don't mind helmets "standing out" one bit, so long as they match either the sweater, yoke, or pants color.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

After Doubleday was announced as the designers for the forthcoming Utah hockey brand, I offered to eat some kind of inedible object if the final logo wasn't a roundel. Then the UHC brand was revealed centered on a roundel.
Well this was erected yesterday, which feels like a lot of work for something that is just going to be binned. I boldly predict that front plate is removable.

GY_B1UeaEAA_N1T?format=jpg&name=large

UPDATE:
Well, I can admit when I'm wrong. The damn thing says "Utah Hockey Club" all over it. So maybe theyre just getting real comfortable with that name or they really will just chuck the thing next year.

GY-p3NTbAAErJb6?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

14 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

After Doubleday was announced as the designers for the forthcoming Utah hockey brand, I offered to eat some kind of inedible object if the final logo wasn't a roundel. Then the UHC brand was revealed centered on a roundel.
Well this was erected yesterday, which feels like a lot of work for something that is just going to be binned. I boldly predict that front plate is removable.

How is the arena renno going to work? Are they gutting one end and just going to shift everything back?

11 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

How is the arena renno going to work? Are they gutting one end and just going to shift everything back?

The current plan is to bury the street just east of the arena in order to make room to re-shape and re-orient it, while also building a two block wide (remember SLC blocks are enormous) entertainment district.
inline_lg

• Like 2

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

55 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

UPDATE:
Well, I can admit when I'm wrong. The damn thing says "Utah Hockey Club" all over it. So maybe theyre just getting real comfortable with that name or they really will just chuck the thing next year.

GY-p3NTbAAErJb6?format=jpg&name=medium

The could add a statue of a Yeti resting on the puck when they unveil a new logo similar in style to that of the top team in Cologne

fc-koln-2048.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=aec0b97bd3dc784b3725a7fd6c1f4157927b1e654206058de946c2a0a959e047&ipo=images

But I wouldn't bet against the team keeping all of the UHC branding except the inaugural season logo. After having the Jazz abandon the blandest rebrand in sports history and going back to the purple, Ryan Smith may not be denied a milquetoast rebrand this time around.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1