2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

And probably the worst opening night matchup, the Bolts vs the Canes.

kucherov-slavin.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f9701

And aside from the fact that it would look better circa 1998, it's not even that bad

The League is in good (visual) shape when the absolute worst matchups possible is one of these two

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unless you count alternates, in which case, Dallas vs Washington but this specific matchup is unlikely to ever happen again

spacer.png

Not that bad!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

These Sabres uniforms are honestly nice outside of the Buffaslug logo. They were maybe the one team to make a new design and use the Edge template correctly. 

The NHL shield placement wasn't pretty and due to the piping, the collar was too stiff and could be really uncomfortable on replicas depending on size/fit.

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

You're basically calling the Vegas gold uniform one of the very worst in the league which is just wrong tbh

It's not the worst in the league by far, but the current home uni of the Knights has far too much white on it in my book, and it doesn't look as nice as the current alternate or the road. It's a decent jersey, just that I would take the OG home over it any day of the week.

• Like 2

The Golden Knights cup winning jersey is absolutely one of the worst in the league.  That logo was never meant to be on a gold background and it shows.

And it's such a shame because the set they entered the league with was perfect.  The idea that they must have a gold uniform because they're the Golden Knights never held water either.  The Knight on the logo is gold, that is more than sufficient. 

• Like 10
  • Dislike 1

On 10/12/2024 at 10:29 AM, Aardvark said:

You're basically calling the Vegas gold uniform one of the very worst in the league which is just wrong tbh

It's a fine alternate but the more I see it, the less I like that shade of gold and the big white stripes. I'm sure it's the kind of jersey that looks better in person though. The dark gray uniform was a lot better imo. Should have never been demoted

It's not that the gold jersey is bad, it's just that it doesn't pair nicely with certain teams. I feel like it looks fine when they play teams that wear cool colors like blue/green/teal, not so much when they play red-heavy teams. Maybe that's just me

Same thing with Nashville. Depends on who they're playing. When they play the Bruins or Penguins there's just too much yellow

But again, my point is that even the "worst" matchups don't look that bad compared to just about any matchup 15 years ago

13 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I prefer the Sharks home uniform but this matchup is pretty nice too.

Also the Ducks now have a Visit Anaheim ad patch on the roads.

The mismatch between the burnt shade of orange on the jersey and the lighter shade on the numbers just kills that uniform for me.

Sitting here watching Knights-Ducks and I just realized that Vegas no longer wears white gloves. When did they change that? I realize the answer may be 7 years and I just never noticed. 

Ducks unis are a solid B. 

Vegas is in gray tonight, never mind. I’m dumb. 

Edited by ZapRowsdower8

I know Utah Yeti is all but a foregone conclusion at this point, but hear me out on this one:

Looked at the NHL's inaugural season and noticed a couple of interesting things: the genesis of the Toronto Maple Leafs as the "Toronto Hockey Club" from when the original Toronto Blueshirts were No Homers Clubbed out of the NHA. One of the other four teams: the Montreal Wanderers, for whom things presumably went poorly at first, hence all the namesake wandering, and didn't get a whole hell of a lot better, folding six games in. HOWEVER, "Utah Wanderers" has a ring to it that I can't deny. 

1) This is the organization's third city, pace whatever expansion fiction it took to No Homers Club their old owner out

2) There are a few "Wanderers" teams in English soccer referring to once-itinerant teams, most notably Wolverhampton Wanderers, so that goes well with the very European HC brand they've started with

3) It's a reference to the Mormon pioneers and their trek to the Great Salt Lake, wandering the desert as the Jews did before them, but more oblique than just "Pioneers" and not another dumb Soakers joke

To be sure, wandering is often aimless, and that's not good, nor was the Montreal team who used it 100+ years ago, but I like the sound of it a lot more than I do yet another singular noun.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Idk I think it looks alright. 

It looks okay, just the gold bucket for the Preds makes it a bit too much gold for Nashville. The Jersey though is really nice and has a better colour balance than what they currently have with the navy on the shoulders.

20 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I know Utah Yeti is all but a foregone conclusion at this point, but hear me out on this one:

Looked at the NHL's inaugural season and noticed a couple of interesting things: the genesis of the Toronto Maple Leafs as the "Toronto Hockey Club" from when the original Toronto Blueshirts were No Homers Clubbed out of the NHA. One of the other four teams: the Montreal Wanderers, for whom things presumably went poorly at first, hence all the namesake wandering, and didn't get a whole hell of a lot better, folding six games in. HOWEVER, "Utah Wanderers" has a ring to it that I can't deny. 

1) This is the organization's third city, pace whatever expansion fiction it took to No Homers Club their old owner out

2) There are a few "Wanderers" teams in English soccer referring to once-itinerant teams, most notably Wolverhampton Wanderers, so that goes well with the very European HC brand they've started with

3) It's a reference to the Mormon pioneers and their trek to the Great Salt Lake, wandering the desert as the Jews did before them, but more oblique than just "Pioneers" and not another dumb Soakers joke

To be sure, wandering is often aimless, and that's not good, nor was the Montreal team who used it 100+ years ago, but I like the sound of it a lot more than I do yet another singular noun.

Honestly, that's not bad.

• Like 1

thecatch.jpg

On 10/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, Aardvark said:

These Sabres uniforms are honestly nice outside of the Buffaslug logo. They were maybe the one team to make a new design and use the Edge template correctly. 

Gotta disagree with this take.  In the context of how bad most of the other Edge designs were, I guess you could frame this template in a favorable light.  But you're forgetting how universally loathed this uniform was when it was released in 2006, and I'm not just talking about the logo.

To me; it always felt odd that the sleeve-cuff pattern could only be properly deciphered if the jersey was laying perfectly flat with its arms outstretched.  On the ice it just looked like a jumbled mess and I've never understood what the vertical, silver panels were supposed to represent.  The Red & Black template was over-designed but at least it was properly balanced and you could tell what they were going for.  The Buffaslug template was simply a mess and the only thing I liked about that uniform was the updated shoulder patch.

• Applause 1

The Knights' gold jersey is definitely one I appreciated more once I saw it in person. I personally like it as the main home jersey, since it is a direct inverse of their white jersey. The grey is nice on its own, but the colour balance doesn't line up with the road jersey very well. On the grey jerseys black is the clear secondary colour, but the white jerseys have almost no black at all, especially since they switched to grey pants. 

The issue now is that they use a black-heavy primary logo despite having completely minimized black as a team colour.