2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

32 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m all for throwing the Roman stuff in the trash forever and just rolling with the pole of barber + O.

spacer.png

If the stripe widths were shrunk down, it’d be perfect.

the bottom cream stripe needs to be reduced for sure. Part of it might be the cut of that particular jersey, but it becomes the focal point to me. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Ricky_Roby said:

If I had to add any colour to their current set (which is near perfect, anyway), I would add white instead of gold. Like @spartacat_12 said earlier, gold is sort of leaning too much towards Vegas territory now. It's the hockey jersey equivalent of Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" - yeah ok, it's not the original, but they are owning it now.

More than one team can wear metallic gold.  Don't think I've ever looked at Ottawa's logo and thought "Man are they trying to rip off Vegas??"

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

More than one team can wear metallic gold.  Don't think I've ever looked at Ottawa's logo and thought "Man are they trying to rip off Vegas??"

• Gold-helmeted ancient warrior head logo
  • Black, red, and gold colour scheme
  • Thick sparkly gold stripes containing a floral/laurel pattern

Vegas moving to the gold primaries and reducing the amount of black they use has helped, but you can't deny there are some similarities. Also, as gimmicky as the Knights brand can get, they've executed it much better than Ottawa has. Just compare these pre-game displays:

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m all for throwing the Roman stuff in the trash forever and just rolling with the pole of barber + O.

spacer.png

I recently snagged one of these in my size on eBay for a reasonable price, after always wanting one. They are absolutely beautiful - still think the 2D centurion is the one, true (expansion franchise) Ottawa Senators primary mark, but the O is a good alternate - and will probably remain the best one on the assumption that whatever new thing the team is working on for an alt will be.. probably not great.

There needs to be a separation of the expansion Senators and the original 1910-30s franchise.  The centurion is the mark of the modern day Senators expansion franchise, the O should remain something that is left on the side as a wink and a nod to the original team, but don't put it front and centre.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

28 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:
  • Gold-helmeted ancient warrior head logo
  • Black, red, and gold colour scheme
  • Thick sparkly gold stripes containing a floral/laurel pattern

Vegas moving to the gold primaries and reducing the amount of black they use has helped, but you can't deny there are some similarities. Also, as gimmicky as the Knights brand can get, they've executed it much better than Ottawa has. Just compare these pre-game displays:

Fair points.

I guess I just view the logos  as pretty distinct and in different styles, and it helps they are in different conferences. If they were ever to meet in the SCF then the similarities would probably bother me more. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

spacer.png

We worked on some concepts around the O and I thought they were really nice, shame they never went anywhere. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

These are boring. If the Sens were a true Original 6 team then whatever, but they aren't. They're a 90s expansions team.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 2

39 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

There needs to be a separation of the expansion Senators and the original 1910-30s franchise.  The centurion is the mark of the modern day Senators expansion franchise, the O should remain something that is left on the side as a wink and a nod to the original team, but don't put it front and centre.

6 minutes ago, Ark said:

These are boring. If the Sens were a true Original 6 team then whatever, but they aren't. They're a 90s expansions team.

No one seems to have a problem with the Washington Nationals using an old logo, despite only getting a team back in 2005. When Seattle inevitably gets an NBA expansion team I'd expect them to bring back the classic Sonics look. If Quebec City ever got another NHL team you know people would be begging for the old logo.

Ottawa is one of the most historic hockey cities in the world. I don't see a problem with a traditional brand, regardless of when the expansion team came around.

25 minutes ago, MEANS said:

We worked on some concepts around the O and I thought they were really nice, shame they never went anywhere. 

Yeah around 17-18 it seemed like the wheels were in motion to rebrand around the O. They used the logo at center ice for a season, and the Belleville Senators branding was (and still is) completely devoid of any Roman imagery.

I think Tom Anselmi was a main driver behind the idea, because once Melnyk fired him the rebrand can got kicked down the road and they eventually pivoted to the 2D logo.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

17 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

No one seems to have a problem with the Washington Nationals using an old logo, despite only getting a team back in 2005.

The curly W  was forced upon the expansion Nats by Bud Selig, and it threw off the original bevelled branding hugely.  It works now in the set due to everything else looking like it was designed to fit that logo, but with the rest of the expansion Nats branding, it looked so out of place.

The argument that the Senators should be disqualified from their 25+ year history of using gold and a roman theme to accommodate a 7 year old expansion team is a pretty weak way to prop up a personal preference. 

• Like 1

The problem with the Senators is that they picked the wrong logo from their previous identity then went back to the inferior original look.

If they used this instead of the forward-facing one and dropped the edge crap they would have been fine.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

• Like 25
  • Love 2
  • Dislike 2

VmWIn6B.png

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

The problem with the Senators is that they picked the wrong logo from their previous identity then went back to the inferior original look.

If they used this instead of the forward-facing one and dropped the edge crap they would have been fine.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

Did that ever appear on a Jersey?

17 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

The argument that the Senators should be disqualified from their 25+ year history of using gold and a roman theme to accommodate a 7 year old expansion team is a pretty weak way to prop up a personal preference. 

I mean I was arguing for them to ditch the roman stuff well before the Golden Knights existed. The success of the Vegas brand only serves to emphasize my point. Also, aside from one alternate jersey that was worn for 6 seasons, gold has pretty much been limited to the logos. 

The return to the 2D logo was mostly a goodwill gesture to try and win back fans who had become apathetic from the years of losing and the ownership mess. The team doesn't put much effort into leaning into the gladiator themes, and whenever they have it's been half-assed and cringy (see the dad-bod Leonidas hype speech I posted previously). A brand should tell a story, but the current branding pretty much boils down to "remember when the team was good 20 years ago".

1 minute ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Did that ever appear on a Jersey?

The original prototype for the black SENS alternate featured it on the shoulders, but that's the closest it came to appearing on a jersey. I do have a hat with the logo on it lying around somewhere.

spacer.png

• Like 3

454892560_3430808003885185_1689588589711554405_n.png?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0024fc&_nc_ohc=xSrLsAVW9IYQ7kNvgGkQ2R6&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=03_Q7cD1QEAXPUhTbsLFwSVZIOT_Xc7gKxvNjrcr8zQOKzHD5zvcw&oe=66EC6B54

As awful as the above logo is, I've always thought that the O & the Peace Tower was a good starting point for a Sens logo. Perhaps something based on this logo with a stripe-heavy jersey as a wink to the early, barber pole-clad NHL team. This seems like much more of a natural fit for Ottawa than the ill-fitting Roman theme.

That being said, I fear what the Sens may do should they ever attempt some kind of re-brand and find myself thusly in the "keep the current look" camp.

• Like 2

thecatch.jpg

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The original prototype for the black SENS alternate featured it on the shoulders, but that's the closest it came to appearing on a jersey. I do have a hat with the logo on it lying around somewhere.

spacer.png

That jersey is so bad that even that beautiful modernized centurion logo can't save it. And it's doing double-duty, there are two of them.

Although I'm very pleased the team went back to the old 2D logo, I would have been just as happy for them to go with that one as the primary. It's a perfect update and it was criminal how they never used it. Love how the shape of the cape is a subtle nod to the swirl on the Ottawa city flag.

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

A brand should tell a story, but the current branding pretty much boils down to "remember when the team was good 20 years ago".

And going barberpole would amount to nothing more than "remember when the team was good 100 years ago."  So what?  At least the roman theme gave them a unique color scheme and a more interesting logo than a single letter on two stripes...

• Like 3