2024 NFL Changes

On 5/11/2024 at 5:29 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Not every stadium needs a roof.

Stadiums are used for football in the cold months. During the spring and summer when it's warm out, who wants to go to an indoor concert?  Agreed, not every stadium needs a roof. 

iq5b7nF.png

14 minutes ago, jc... said:

Stadiums are used for football in the cold months. During the spring and summer when it's warm out, who wants to go to an indoor concert?  Agreed, not every stadium needs a roof. 

When it's pouring rain outside.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Commies, Manders, Mandies, 32s???

C’mon now. I know you’ve been around these boards long enough to see these being used.

See, ending in -dians is a hell of a lot different than starting a name with Red-. It gives fans an excuse and easy out to still use the old name. Doesn’t matter if it was Redwolves, Redtails, Redwhatever. The old name would come up a lot more. Detaching the brand completely from the old name was and is the only option.

I said good short names. Commies, Manders and Mandies are all terrible, and mostly used tongue-in-cheek. 32s is only used here, and is from the WFT days, not related to Commanders. It's also not shorter to say out loud.

Obviously it didn't have to start with "Red", but keeping it 2 syllables would have flowed so much better. And the people that would have said the old name instead are still stubbornly saying the old name anyways. A-holes will be a-holes.

• Like 4
  • Eyeroll 1

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, burgundy said:

[…] the people that would have said the old name instead are still stubbornly saying the old name anyways. A-holes will be a-holes.

You're calling Native Americans a-holes?

How progressive of you...

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Huh? 2
  • Eyeroll 4

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

13 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I said good short names. Commies, Manders and Mandies are all terrible, and mostly used tongue-in-cheek. 32s is only used here, and is from the WFT days, not related to Commanders. It's also not shorter to say out loud.

Obviously it didn't have to start with "Red", but keeping it 2 syllables would have flowed so much better. And the people that would have said the old name instead are still stubbornly saying the old name anyways. A-holes will be a-holes.

I remember when the renaming process was taking place, there were fans who genuinely wanted “Burgundy & Gold” as the official name. I think we dodged a bullet with that one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JQK said:

You're calling Native Americans a-holes?

How progressive of you...

Oh 🤬 off.

Anyone that still intentionally uses the old name in reference to the current Washington NFL team is being a stubborn a-hole, regardless of who they are. It's not the team's name anymore, so don't call them that.

• Like 15
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Oh 🤬 off.

Anyone that still intentionally uses the old name in reference to the current Washington NFL team is being a stubborn a-hole, regardless of who they are. It's not the team's name anymore, so don't call them that.

I use the old name when referring to their Super Bowl appearances. Joe Gibbs never coached the Commanders, and there’s no sense in censoring history. 

But yeah, I definitely use the current name to discuss the current team. Even though the current name sounds clunky and has one of the worst visual brands in the Big 4. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

19 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

There was a myriad of ways this all could have gone down gracefully and it hasn't because a handful of rich guys are crabby at a decision being somewhat out of their total control.

Commanders isn't great, could be worse, lose the stencil numbers, drop the gradients and black trim on the road uniform and everybody lives.

The Washington Slurs are dead, move on.

That’s kind of where I’m at with the name.

There are other options I would have preferred more (I was pro Warthogs or Football Team) but the league is basically treating it as if this had always been the team name, so I am too. 

If a TV broadcast is talking about John Riggins or Joe Thiesmann, they’ll say that they’re a Commanders legend. That’s how the franchise is talked about now, at least publicly.

If in 1932 they named the team the Commanders cause they’re in Washington and the Commander-In-Chief lives in Washington no one would care about the team name now.

I don’t think about changing or criticizing the names of other franchises, they’re facts of life at this point. 

It’s not perfect or even good, but it’s over. They picked a name, might as well get used to it.

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

There are other options I would have preferred more (I was pro Warthogs or Football Team) but the league is basically treating it as if this had always been the team name, so I am too. 

If a TV broadcast is talking about John Riggins or Joe Thiesmann, they’ll say that they’re a Commanders legend. That’s how the franchise is talked about now, so it feels wrong to suggest a name change. 

If in 1932 they named the team the Commanders cause they’re in Washington and the Commander-In-Chief lives in Washington no one would care about the team name now. 

It’s not perfect or even good, but it’s over. They picked a name, might as well get used to it.

If the broadcast wants to refer to Joe Gibbs or whomever, its easy enough in my opinions to just say "Washington" rather than "Commanders." I don't think anyone has to pretend this team has been called the Commanders since they were in Boston.*

*A good reminder that the original name was the Boston Braves piggybacking off of the baseball Boston Braves something incredibly common in the early NFL (see e.g. the Pittsburgh Pirates (Steelers), Brooklyn Dodgers (Colts!), New York Giants, and Chicago Bears).

The Braves still use that nickname after moving to Milwaukee then Atlanta and while there is some pressure to drop that name, it has never received nearly the same pressure because, frankly, its not a slur. Knowing even a tiny bit about George Preston Marshall, original Washington Owner, you can kinda see how that all went down and why its good that name was dropped.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Unis would still blow. The uniform they had during the WFT seasons is what they should be wearing.

I also prefer the WFT uniforms but my point is that the Commanders current set isn't that far from being fine.  I'm just thinking about the minimum number of changes that could at least get commentariat to chill out a little.

7 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Commies, Manders, Mandies, 32s???

C’mon now. I know you’ve been around these boards long enough to see these being used.

See, ending in -dians is a hell of a lot different than starting a name with Red-. It gives fans an excuse and easy out to still use the old name. Doesn’t matter if it was Redwolves, Redtails, Redwhatever. The old name would come up a lot more. Detaching the brand completely from the old name was and is the only option.

Those are the dumbest nicknames I have ever read in my life.

• Like 6
  • Yawn 1

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

If a TV broadcast is talking about John Riggins or Joe Thiesmann, they’ll say that they’re a Commanders legend. That’s how the franchise is talked about now, at least publicly.

I don’t think about changing or criticizing the names of other franchises, they’re facts of life at this point. 

It's far from perfect and we should never get used to it, IMHO. 😄 A few reasons:

1. The name was picked by odious former owner Dan Snyder. Snyder was forced out by other NFL owners for fostering a toxic, sexist work environment.

2. He had his flunkie Jason Wright announce that they had 'considered' fan input into the name, when in fact they did not and just went with the name Snyder wanted all along. The name 'Commanders' was barely in the top 10 names they were falsely floating around.

3. Snyder let his wife design the uniforms.

4. According to media reports, the Commanders are at the bottom of the pack in terms of merchandise sales, with the average fan spending $145 on team merchandise per year, but with 'Manders fans only spending $80.

5. Former legends like Riggins refuse to associate themselves with the new name, although this is partly because Snyder alienated all of those former players with his behaviors...Riggins said many years ago that Snyder had a "black heart"...and this was BEFORE all the sex harassment allegations!

I had heard that Redwolves was the most popular option among the fanbase, but can't confirm. I think it would be a good pivot with excellent potential.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, burgundy said:

It's a dumb, clunky name that is too long and has no good short nickname. It's also a name that nobody asked for.

I, for one, cannot wait until they lean into "Go Commando!" That'll put some cheeks in seats.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

31 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

It's far from perfect and we should never get used to it, IMHO. 😄 A few reasons:

1. The name was picked by odious former owner Dan Snyder. Snyder was forced out by other NFL owners for fostering a toxic, sexist work environment.

2. He had his flunkie Jason Wright announce that they had 'considered' fan input into the name, when in fact they did not and just went with the name Snyder wanted all along. The name 'Commanders' was barely in the top 10 names they were falsely floating around.

3. Snyder let his wife design the uniforms.

4. According to media reports, the Commanders are at the bottom of the pack in terms of merchandise sales, with the average fan spending $145 on team merchandise per year, but with 'Manders fans only spending $80.

5. Former legends like Riggins refuse to associate themselves with the new name, although this is partly because Snyder alienated all of those former players with his behaviors...Riggins said many years ago that Snyder had a "black heart"...and this was BEFORE all the sex harassment allegations!

I had heard that Redwolves was the most popular option among the fanbase, but can't confirm. I think it would be a good pivot with excellent potential.

Those first two make a decent amount of sense. Why put one gross part of team history behind with someone that's just another flavor of gross?

The third, meh so what. You don't have to like the uniform but the person who designed them is irrelevant unless that person is particularly creepy. Bill Veeck's wife designed the legendary disco collar Sox uniforms which remain criminally underappreciated and far ahead of their time design.

Merch sales aren't really a concern for me. 

The refusal of former players to line up with the new name is kinda neutral. It probably depends on whether you're attached to the slur or just disgusted by Dan Snyder. Dwayne Wade wanted Marquette to go back to Warriors for a while but that's subsided and now Golden Eagles is pretty well accepted (randomly changing to something much worse for a few weeks probably helped).

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The third, meh so what. You don't have to like the uniform but the person who designed them is irrelevant unless that person is particularly creepy. Bill Veeck's wife designed the legendary disco collar Sox uniforms which remain criminally underappreciated and far ahead of their time design.

I probably should have mentioned that Tanya Snyder was dismissive of the sex harassment claims in general, saying in an interview that everything was "ridiculous." That was the last time the PR team allowed her to be interviewed...obviously she was an enabler of Dan Snyder's abusive actions.

On top of that, she doesn't know squat about designing a decent football uniform. The pants look like they bought off a discount rack at Walmart, with no stripes. The home jerseys are decent, but the road jerseys look godawful and have no connection to the rest of the uniform. Don't get me started on the all-black uni...

12 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

I probably should have mentioned that Tanya Snyder was dismissive of the sex harassment claims in general, saying in an interview that everything was "ridiculous." That was the last time the PR team allowed her to be interviewed...obviously she was an enabler of Dan Snyder's abusive actions.

On top of that, she doesn't know squat about designing a decent football uniform. The pants look like they bought off a discount rack at Walmart, with no stripes. The home jerseys are decent, but the road jerseys look godawful and have no connection to the rest of the uniform. Don't get me started on the all-black uni...

The specific complaints about the uniforms can be leveled at any number of teams in recent years:

Plain pants? Lions, Jaguars, Cardinals, Saints, Titans

BFBS? Eagles, Jets, Cardinals

Road Uniform different from Home? Cardinals, Rams, Texans

Not Tanya Snyder in particular.  If the opinion is that she is a bad human being for her reaction to the investigation and should not be connected to the uniforms, fine make that argument.

• Like 1