24-25 NBA changes

DJT

My hot take is that the giant side-panel antler look for the Bucks is way overrated. Antlers do not grow from the thighs! It looks so weird to me to use the design motif like that. 

That said, still one of the better alternates they've had, thanks to the color mix subbing out white for black. The clashing of white and cream is the biggest issue with their unis for me right now, much more than any particular flavor one prefers of side panel trim.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

My hot take is that the giant side-panel antler look for the Bucks is way overrated. Antlers do not grow from the thighs! It looks so weird to me to use the design motif like that. 

That said, still one of the better alternates they've had, thanks to the color mix subbing out white for black. The clashing of white and cream is the biggest issue with their unis for me right now, much more than any particular flavor one prefers of side panel trim.

I suppose the Bucks could be the first NBA team to wear helmets. 

3 hours ago, truepg said:

that they got rid of soon after for unexplicable reasons

Adidas got lazy with the switch to Rev30 and only offered a limited selection of generic collar designs. The same thing happened to the Bobcats, Timberwolves, Hawks, Sixers, and Rockets.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought the NBA's shiny fabric era was horrible. Some good uniform designs, like the Bucks, ended up looking cheap and gaudy. 

100%. I get the nostalgia for that sky blue Nuggets look, but it was much better when they ditched the shiny material. Kinda worked for the Heat though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

100%. I get the nostalgia for that sky blue Nuggets look, but it was much better when they ditched the shiny material. Kinda worked for the Heat though.

To me the Nuggets' sky blue look kinda depended on it, on the contrary. It lost its edge and charm with the switch to a regular fabric, and the look became more soft an tender, not in a desirable way. Agree with you on the Heat, they were one of the biggest losers in this, since the shiny fabric was the thing of their maroon alternates, in particular. It became flat and deprived after the switch.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

If teams have to keep doing City uniforms, they should bring back their most popular ones. I'm sure fans will love to buy new vice jerseys. If it's all about sales and merchandise, why not maximize it?

Exactly. This is how “HEAT CULTURE” happens.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Wow. We’re going into Season 10 with the current Bucks logo. Time flies.

• Like 3
  • WOAH 1
  • Sad 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I never liked that Bucks set either. I felt that once they switched back to their original forest green and red, they should be locked into that forever, having basically acknowledged it as "canonical" Bucks colors. By the same token, I wouldn't expect the Padres to ever deviate from brown and gold again, the Astros from orange and blue, or the Canucks from blue and green (though I'm keeping a very watchful eye on them and their spaghetti-skate alts). Cream is bad for outlining on white and worse for outlining white on dark, the royal blue has never been a good fit, and the black isn't necessary at all.

But the real failure of that set is the font. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it looks like a child's attempt to draw varsity block letters and numbers but not knowing exactly how to do it. The numbers look bad, of course, but the letters that approximate numbers, like the B and S in Bucks, look especially bad.

The old set had its flaws, like beveled lettering and a logo whose datedness couldn't be fixed by the paint bucket tool, but it was better than what they have now and could have been fine-tuned into something better than both.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm sure I'm reading WAY too much into this, but it could simply be a set based off the purple city jersey from last year BUT the throwback mountain logo is throwing me off a little.

New throwback for next year? Completely different design? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Wouldn't mind if Bucks replace their current unis by white and green version of this:

GettyImages-1250781022.jpg

Also wouldn't be surprise if they introduce a black statement of this for next or after next season.

f5aa02c89a11ea4e2bf16324ce0c2295.jpg

I would love if they returned this 80s look, I had somehow never known about it until recently. The kelly green/forest green combo just POPS. I love it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kolob said:

I'm sure I'm reading WAY too much into this, but it could simply be a set based off the purple city jersey from last year BUT the throwback mountain logo is throwing me off a little.

New throwback for next year? Completely different design? 

There has been speculation they are doing a full set based off the city purple mountain jerseys. A white version and a black version. But those mountains are a bit different like you said so who knows. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 9:36 AM, Lights Out said:

I've always wondered what the purpose of that weird halo around the front numbers was supposed to be. It looked particularly bad when those uniforms were first introduced and they were using dazzle fabric but the inside of that oval was matte.

spacer.png

While this was Phoenix bottoming out, IMO they haven't had a passable uniform in decades.  The ring ones with the gray are an eyesore, and the orbit gimmick was just so overdone in that era (seemed like many companies were "futurizing" their logos with rings.). But the side panels and font choice were also bad.  

They haven't gotten a font right since the Barkley set, and it's just so inconsistent - some have bevels, some don't.  Some have a capital N, some use a lowercase one.

They're just one of those teams that consistently gets it wrong.  Even the two times they tried to pay homage to the Barkley set, they got it wrong.  

Suns_Main.0.png

70504487007-suns-03.png?width=528&height

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the Suns' current uniforms. I wish they'd shift the sun/ball over a bit so it doesn't get cut off as much, but overlooking that, it's a fine update to the Barkley-era uniforms (unlike their first attempt in 2013 that was just horrible).

The ones before it were okay too, but once I noticed the mismatched collar and armhole trim on the jerseys, I could never unsee it. I don't know how such a sloppy mistake made it through the design process without ever being noticed or fixed.

In my view, 2000-2019 was the clear aesthetic low point for the Suns. It was so bad, the All-Star uniforms from when Phoenix hosted the game were infinitely better than what the actual team was wearing. Even then, I think the inclusion of silver/grey with the purple and orange made for an interesting color scheme in theory, just not one that was appropriate for the Suns in particular.

As for the Bucks, I've always thought that a combination of forest green and hunter orange would be nice for them.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

6 hours ago, tscuzzy said:

f5aa02c89a11ea4e2bf16324ce0c2295.jpg

I would love if they returned this 80s look, I had somehow never known about it until recently. The kelly green/forest green combo just POPS. I love it. 

Those were gorgeous, but I think the ones with red had a bit more character. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Hurl 2
  • Eyeroll 1

The interesting thing about those Barkley-era Suns jerseys is that they were so far ahead of their time. They don't look as if they are a relic of the early '90s. They somehow managed to be novel without feeling gimmicky.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1