2024 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIX

10 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I thought the old AFL teams all wore white cleats. I guess I imagined it. I know the Raiders did.

Here's the thing with the Jets' journey and my line about the Super Bowl III jerseys being more or less "canonical": I believe that once you go back to an original/championship color scheme, original logo, or both after years of deviating from it in various ways, then you are done, that's it, you have declared that you made some mistakes along the way but corrected them and this is what you are from here on out, sorry about all that.

The Padres dicked around with a bunch of different color schemes and identities until they gave the people what they wanted and went back to the original brown and yellow. Awesome, I love it, but that means no more new color schemes, no more big ideas. Canucks, green and blue, same thing. Astros, orange and blue, same thing, with the addition of finally winning* championships in the original colors. I hate the Milwaukee Bucks' uniforms for a few reasons--the ill-fitting black and blue, the hideous writing-in-duct-tape font, the evil deer--but what I hate most of all is that they finally identified the mistake of leaving behind the forest green and red they won a championship in for Barney colors and then left it again

The Jets are even more maddening because they did the right thing and went back to the Namath uniforms, but then they scrapped them for a bad modern design, breaking my rule, then scrapped that design for a different set of throwbacks, only to dip their feet in alternate throwbacks that cover two uniforms ago as well as what those uniforms threw back to in the first place. It's all over the place in a league that's already suffering from the most chaotic branding it's ever seen in its long-conservative history.

This makes sense to me. I'll add the Calgary Flames and Buffalo Sabres to that mix. Which also happens to be one of my favorite uniform NHL games of the year these days.

• Like 2

I thought the old AFL teams all wore white cleats. I guess I imagined it. I know the Raiders did.

Here's the thing with the Jets' journey and my line about the Super Bowl III jerseys being more or less "canonical": I believe that once you go back to an original/championship color scheme, original logo, or both after years of deviating from it in various ways, then you are done, that's it, you have declared that you made some mistakes along the way but corrected them and this is what you are from here on out, sorry about all that.

The Padres dicked around with a bunch of different color schemes and identities until they gave the people what they wanted and went back to the original brown and yellow. Awesome, I love it, but that means no more new color schemes, no more big ideas. Canucks, green and blue, same thing. Astros, orange and blue, same thing, with the addition of finally winning* championships in the original colors. I hate the Milwaukee Bucks' uniforms for a few reasons--the ill-fitting black and blue, the hideous writing-in-duct-tape font, the evil deer--but what I hate most of all is that they finally identified the mistake of leaving behind the forest green and red they won a championship in for Barney colors and then left it again

The Jets are even more maddening because they did the right thing and went back to the Namath uniforms, but then they scrapped them for a bad modern design, breaking my rule, then scrapped that design for a different set of throwbacks, only to dip their feet in alternate throwbacks that cover two uniforms ago as well as what those uniforms threw back to in the first place. It's all over the place in a league that's already suffering from the most chaotic branding it's ever seen in its long-conservative history.

In the NFL, you're also cutting off the Chargers from doing anything other than white helmets with powder blue jerseys. No that its wrong just adding another team to the list.

I'm a fan of what the Bucks did design-wise and here is, I think, the necessary addendum to any otherwise very excellent point. The Bucks went back to the Kareem era in color scheme only, NOT design. The early 2000's Bucks uniforms were very much of that era, so I could see them not being definitive.

Had they gone to this:

GettyImages-534994838.jpg

No question. Shut it down. But alas was not to be and we got this:

brandon-jennings-jpg.png

To bring it back to the NFL, does this rule also mean that the white helmet Bills are the definitive Bills? Having started with white lids, switched red for several decades and now having gone back, does this mean the Bills could not make something like the below permanent?

FZbhlGyWQAIzdZr.jpg

• Like 2

I grew up with this era of the Jets aesthetically, so it's what I think of.

Dec 05, 2004; New York, NY, USA; NFL Football: JUSTIN MCARINS at the NY Jets  vs HOUSTON TEXANS at Giant Stadium in New York City. JETS won the game 29-7  Stock Photo - AlamyJET-0451101-H.jpg | SportPics ArchiveAfter Strong Start, Jets Fall into Old Habits - The New York Times

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

The Saints posted earlier that Thursday night will be a “blackout” and is urging all the fans to wear black.

So as far as your all-black assumption, you’re on the right track…

What's wild is the last time the Saints wore gold pants more than 2x in a season was 2021, where they wore them 6 times (both home and road) 🥲

• Like 2

On 10/14/2024 at 9:03 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Interesting. For a hot minute in the early 2000's, the Browns did roll with separating the stripes, at least on the home uniforms.

Not my favorite design of theirs but you can see the concept.

BRO-0496200-H.jpg

See, I like those better. It splits from the orange and brown colliding with each other. I still hate the color scheme, but at least it made it work.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm a fan of what the Bucks did design-wise and here is, I think, the necessary addendum to any otherwise very excellent point. The Bucks went back to the Kareem era in color scheme only, NOT design. The early 2000's Bucks uniforms were very much of that era, so I could see them not being definitive.

That's true, wasn't the same design by any means. But the Bucks changed uniforms a lot, pre-Stern NBA uniform aesthetics being pretty ad hoc and sloppy. (The original road uniform with the arched Milwaukee is one of my favorite NBA jerseys; the various homes I could always take or leave.) It was still the original and longest-running color scheme for the Bucks: 17 and 9 years of forest green and red in some capacity, 8 in just three-tone green without red, 13 in purple and green. I figured at that point that the die was cast, and that even if they refined the jerseys, which I'd have been fine with, at least the colors were finally locked in. Oops!

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

43 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

That's true, wasn't the same design by any means. But the Bucks changed uniforms a lot, pre-Stern NBA uniform aesthetics being pretty ad hoc and sloppy. (The original road uniform with the arched Milwaukee is one of my favorite NBA jerseys; the various homes I could always take or leave.) It was still the original and longest-running color scheme for the Bucks: 17 and 9 years of forest green and red in some capacity, 8 in just three-tone green without red, 13 in purple and green. I figured at that point that the die was cast, and that even if they refined the jerseys, which I'd have been fine with, at least the colors were finally locked in. Oops!

I'd be down to see the Bucks current template with red lettering and the old Irish sunrise pattern on the sides.

To come back around to the Jets, I wonder how much the restlessness regarding the 60's design that we saw around 2018 or so was just a color issue. Had they just lightened the green to what we saw last night, maybe none of what transpired since happens. I remember this image being VERY popular online and the main thing it has going for itself is just a brighter green.

jets---uniforms.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Shoulder stripes are still a mess.

And they always will be, since they weren't designed for modern jersey templates. The intended effect of an oversized Northwestern stripe with the TV numbers in the center was only doable on the long sleeves that players wore back then.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

24 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

While on the topic of the Jets, this is still the best uniform they had from the 2010s. One of the better jerseys to come out of the CR experiment.

spacer.png

I wouldn't have hated seeing a white pants pairing with this, along with a white jersey treatment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I wouldn't have hated seeing a white pants pairing with this, along with a white jersey treatment.

My favorite part of this uniform is the use of double green being done tastefully. I’ve often wondered what it’d look like with the current green helmet.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

While on the topic of the Jets, this is still the best uniform they had from the 2010s. One of the better jerseys to come out of the CR experiment.

spacer.png

The green Indianapolis Colts. Or a two tone green version of the New York Titans throwbacks with the Jets helmet.

16 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

Throwbacks for the Saints! Stunner here after the blackout announcement.  I'm less concerned with what Denver wears now.

There’s presumably enough contrast between the teams for Denver to wear their throwback. Wishful thinking, I know.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

My favorite part of this uniform is the use of double green being done tastefully. I’ve often wondered what it’d look like with the current green helmet.

Slightly off-topic, but I would love to see more two-tone color identities. The most common one is double-blue, but I think double-green, double-red, & maybe even double-purple could all be done really well. 

(The Browns kind of occupy double-orange, since brown is basically just a really dark orange).

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1