2024 NFL Season Through Super Bowl LIX

33 minutes ago, FriedPickles said:

The one time I can think of him having a big comeback was against the colts in 2021, and to be fair he does have 2 MVP awards.

They were down 22-3 in that game.  They also came back from 35-24 versus the Chiefs, from 24-10 against the Vikings to win 34-31 in OT and won the Justin Tucker Lions game within a few weeks of that.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Every time I’m watching some show where the NFL talking heads are discussing Lamar Jackson, and how he’s a top two or three quarterback, I feel like I must be blind or crazy.  I’ve just never seen it.

I think I make this same post at least once every season.  There's no way I'd feel good with my franchise bound to him.

But at least he seems to have matured past the "I'm going to change my number after my first SB so that I can win the next one in a different number and they have to retire both like Kobe".

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

What you cannot do is draw attention to the fact that many blacks in America do hold retrograde attitudes toward homosexuality that their white liberal compatriots would find abhorrent. And what you really really really cannot do is admit to the bald cynicism behind the league's halfhearted "social justice initiatives" that amount to painting "y'all, racism, as it turns out, is bad" on the field so that they can keep up appearances with the professional liberal consensus that determines who spends what where. And you REALLY can't do that when you work for the team that had to change its name because of George Floyd.

Yup, exactly. Reality is bad for business.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Every time I’m watching some show where the NFL talking heads are discussing Lamar Jackson, and how he’s a top two or three quarterback, I feel like I must be blind or crazy.  I’ve just never seen it. If the Ravens are down late and he has to throw them to a win, you can just go to bed.  I’m sure there must have been times in his career when he’s pulled out some big comeback but I honestly can’t remember it.  He blew two easy touchdowns back to back before the toe on the line play.   

Why does Dak Prescott get (justifiably) hammered for being good in the regular season and garbage in the playoffs but everyone at ESPN seems afraid to admit that Lamar is the exact same guy?  

I feel like I’m missing something.  

I would guess it's based on his style of play. It's so different from what we associate with the quarterback position where many find it to be rather refreshing and maybe exciting. Most quarterbacks are pass-heavy, but he runs far more than the rest... and he is able to make results with it quite often. It also helps that some of his success is tied to working with one of the most competent organizations in the league, so he's always on a Super Bowl contending team (which not even a mobile QB like Cam Newton really had). This is all different compared to Prescott, who is mostly a passer and plays for a big-market organization that hasn't been able to even get to a conference championship in three whole decades.

I have personally learned to appreciate Lamar for what he can do, but his mediocre passing abilities will always hold him back. Also, he could be like 12-0 against Burrow in his career and barring the factor of health, I'm still taking Burrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

It also helps that some of his success is tied to working with one of the most competent organizations in the league

This is my "I must be blind or crazy," because the Ravens basically personal-fouled themselves out of the Super Bowl last year. The only reason they were even in a position to lose by a hairsbreadth last night was because a holding call offset a 15-yard late hit that would have let the Chiefs ice the game comfortably.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/21/2024 at 11:34 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Predictions anyone?

You know I can't resist predicting how wrong I'll be this season.

AFC

East

y-Buffalo  (11-6)

x-NY Jets  (10-7)

Miami  (7-10)

New England  (3-14)

North

y-Cincinnati  (13-4)

x-Baltimore  (10-7)

Pittsburgh  (9-8)

Cleveland  (9-8)

South

y-Houston  (12-5)

Jacksonville  (9-8)

Indianapolis  (9-8)

Tennessee  (5-12)

West

*-Kansas City    (14-3)

x- Los Angeles   (10-7)

Las Vegas (4-13)

Denver (4-13)

NFC

East

y-Dallas   (11-6)

x-Philadelphia   (11-6)

Washington  (10-7)

NY Giants (5-12)

North

*-Detroit   (12-6)

Chicago  (10-7)

Green Bay  (9-8)

Minnesota  (2-15)

South

y-Atlanta (10-7)

Tampa Bay (7-10)

New Orleans (6-11)

Carolina (2-15)

West

y-San Francisco   (11-6)

x-Los Angeles   (11-6)

x-Arizona   (10-7)

Seattle  (9-8)

Super Wild-Card Weekend

(4) Buffalo over (5) NY Jets

(3) Houston over (6) Los Angeles

(2) Cincinnati over (7) Baltimore

(5) Los Angeles over (4) Atlanta

(6) Philadelphia over (3) Dallas

(2) San Francisco over (7) Arizona

Divisional Round

(2) Cincinnati over (3) Houston

(1) Kansas City over (4) Buffalo

(5) Los Angeles over (2) San Francisco

(1) Detroit over (6) Philadelphia

Conference Championships

(1) Kansas City over (2) Cincinnati

(1) Detroit over (5) Los Angeles

Super Bowl LIX

Kansas City over Detroit

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The NFL makes their debut in South America tonight with Packers vs. Eagles in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  Next year, they will go to Spain, to go along with Germany and the UK.  They are probably headed to France, Ireland, back to Mexico, Japan and Australia.  

However, I can't see the NFL ever going back North of the Border as part of this.  

Give me free money to build a stadium for ten home games a year, one of which I will farm out to South Korea or Turkey or something.

Winter Classic in Anchorage or Fairbanks would be pretty cool but I am a full-on protectionist on NFL. We shouldn't be taking Premier League games away from Grunstleford Lane or whatever and they shouldn't be taking Packer games from Lambeau. U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A

• Love 1

Picking up right where these pieces of trash left off last year.  Maybe it wasn't all the trash coaches' faults after all.

EDIT:

Brazil fans getting to hear nearly every single possible penalty call.  Good on the NFL for trying to educate them!

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I mean this in all seriousness - if you're in a foreign country and this is your introduction to NFL football, why in the world would you get hooked on it?  So many stoppages for flags, referee huddles, penalties that may or may not be real, dudes slipping all over the place, and general confusion.  There's more ref action than game action, and it's not unique to this game.  I know that we "get it", but if I didn't, I'd be like "nuts to this" and go right back to soccer, where there's basically two rules.

Who groomed this field?  That jerk off Chiefs fan the Sodfather?  This is embarrassing to the NFL I'm not sure who's responsible for the turf - whether it's the league or the hosts - but this game shouldn't be being played.  Just like when the Ravens walked off of the Vet (they should still bring it back) and refused to play  back in the day, the teams should have walked off of this.  No way that someone doesn't rip up a knee in one of those giant gashes.

• LOL 1

Random guy in Brazil: "what is that foul?"

American: "roughing the passer"

Brazilian: "okay, what did he do to make it a penalty?"

American: "well, I mean, you see, uh... it just is."

Brazilian: "I see!  I love this sport!!  USA! USA!"

American: "wait... where's my wallet and cell phone?"

• LOL 1

Is my TV crap, or is the sound mix on this broadcast really bad?

Feels like everything is at the same level -- field noise, commentary and the stadium announcer.

I'm not a fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_YouKnowWhatThatMeans said:

Feels like everything is at the same level -- field noise, commentary and the stadium announcer.

I'm not a fan.

It's not your TV.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

21 minutes ago, DG_YouKnowWhatThatMeans said:

I'm not a fan.

It doesn't look like or sound like an NFL game.  The only thing that even resembles NFL is the Packers glorious uniforms and the yellow flags.  The sound is exactly as you describe, the Eagles look like a high-school team, the camera work is questionable, and the game is being played on an NHL surface.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It doesn't look like or sound like an NFL game.  The only thing that even resembles NFL is the Packers glorious uniforms and the yellow flags.  The sound is exactly as you describe, the Eagles look like a high-school team, the camera work is questionable, and the game is being played on an NHL surface.

The upside is we can clearly hear the PA announcer doing the announcements in Portuguese. I have no idea what he's saying, but he's definitely feeling it.

BB52Big.jpg

I have the game on the radio because I don't subscribe to four different streaming services, creating a the-food-is-terrible-and-such-small-portions situation for me. There was no need for any of this. Keep it simple.

1 minute ago, The_Admiral said:

I have the game on the radio because I don't subscribe to four different streaming services, creating a the-food-is-terrible-and-such-small-portions situation for me. There was no need for any of this. Keep it simple.

Speaking of radio, this was pretty cool.

• Love 1

BB52Big.jpg