2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

6 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

3 on 3 will be in the games in 2028. Sorry to burst your bubble, @Cujo.

Can't wait to witness Anthony Bennett, LiAngelo Ball and Dougie McBuckets take bronze in LA28!

• WOAH 1

6uXNWAo.png

Man, the German basketball team is the best team we have to offer in any sport right now.

FIBA Dennis Schröder is something else!

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

37 minutes ago, Cujo said:

If it is, it'll be revised to allow NBAers have a crack at it, instead of draft busts and nobodys. 

I think USA Basketball would love to have 3x3 filled with active NBA players, but they have to abide by FIBA rules.   A way that FIBA can still do 3x3 rules is to have their next World Championships in 3x3 is to allow NBA players and not just on Team USA too, but for all countries that have NBA players who did not make the 5x5 team.  Another option is for FIBA and the NBA to come together and sanction a 3x3 tournament during the NBA Summer Leagues in years where there's not a 3x3 World Championship.  

It's not USA Basketball it's FIBA.  They have banned USA Basketball from allowing NBA players to play 3x3, instead having to rely on an aging Jimmer Fredette and Rick Berry's kid.  All this despite the fact that FIBA probably loves it that NBA players are playing 5x5.  

Having the NBA players play these 3x3 tournaments helps expand the pool for 5x5, so there would be less situations like the current beef between USA Basketball and Jalen Brown.  The 2024 NBA Finals MVP would probably have been happy to represent the US in 3x3 if the NBA was allowed to have its players play 3x3.  Besides Brown, there are others who deserve a shot at Team USA, including another Jalen in Jalen Brunson.  Brunson is 27 so he still has a shot in 2028 as LeBron, Steph and KD are probably done after this (although I could see Steph trying for 2028 seeing as how this is his very first Olympics).

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 2:47 PM, Kevin W. said:

Katie Ledecky is a cheat code in human form.

What's most remarkable is that she maintains 31-second lengths over 1500m. I am a halfway decent recreational swimmer but my long-course lengths trail off from "~45 seconds" to "unspeakable." Distance swimming, especially long course, is physically and psychologically exhausting. Maybe the cheat code is being able to turn off the part of the brain that says "man, this crap sucks, what else is on." I can't.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

Maybe the cheat code is being able to turn off the part of the brain that says "man, this crap sucks, what else is on." I can't.

Part of that might be that Ledecky and Phelps are from Maryland. When you regularly drive in the death zone that is the DMV/Beltway system, long distance swimming must seem less intimidating.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Phelps is also comically misproportioned but in a way that makes him the perfect swimmer. He has wingspan and lung capacity that normal humans just can't get no matter how hard they train. Ledecky is in peak condition herself, but so is everyone else at that level. She can be beaten in a sprint (but not by much), but what she does in distance is just awe-inspiring. Maybe a lot of that is lung capacity, too, but I have to believe it's some preternatural focus that makes the difference.

3 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I'm a halfway decent recreational swimmer

I assassin down the avenue

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, McCall said:

Anthony Bennett's Canadian.

So he still won't win gold, then.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Seems like the perfect Gold medalist for the Pat McAfee Show.  

Because he's white and loves the 2nd amendment ?

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6uXNWAo.png

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

the second part yes, first part not so much.  

McAfee makes it a point to dance around the n-word on his show, the first probably applies too.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, Cujo said:

McAfee makes it a point to dance around the n-word on his show, the first probably applies too.

He dances around it so he doesn't offend Pacman Jones and former teammate Darius Butler.  

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

He dances around it so he doesn't offend Pacman Jones and former teammate Darius Butler.  

Pat McAfee trying not to offend Pacman Jones and former teammate Darius Butler:

Holding-back-meme-7.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky are the Women's GOATS.  

Also, Women 3x3 have rebounded (no pun intended) nicely after an 0-3 start.  They have now won 4 in a row to make it to the medal rounds.  I still think Hailey Van Lith is going to be nothing more than a journeyman in the WNBA, someone who will have a long enough career where she will play for multiple teams due to roster issues, unless she absolutely balls out at TCU.  

What I also find bizarre about 3x3 is: why is the camera so far away? It's not just at the far corner but it's a ways behind the court, too. If we're purpose-building these courts, why not figure out a better place to film from? Seems like maybe directly on the side or maybe directly behind the court would make more sense. I find it really difficult to watch as-is.