Players that wore different numbers on same team

GrayJ12

Just a couple of days ago, Spire Motorsports announced that Justin Haley would be driving the 7 for them starting this upcoming race and continuing into 2025. An interesting fact about this is that Justin, a former Spire driver, drove the 77 for the team in 2019-2021 and actually scored the team their first (and so far) only win.

It caused me to think - what athletes, in racing or otherwise, have worn different numbers on the same team?

Here are my first contributions to this thread (with some obvious inclusions):

Kobe Bryant
spacer.png
spacer.png

Lebron James
spacer.png
spacer.png

Paul George
spacer.png
George-Paul-Pacers-jersey.jpg

John Riggins
spacer.png
bEDe4k3fj2my1wwo0MEUaoLY_UYnFZ86-F4odVYd

Alex Bowman
0a3f8-16826043072719-1920.jpg?w=640
RovalRecapHeader.jpg

Teddy Bridgewater
spacer.png
b945e6c0-c1ed-11ee-be6e-87e2122abc92

Spencer Dinwiddie
spencer-dinwiddie.jpg
hi-res-ea9bef604a025c9bb85be6d6c166182b_

rAUPGPZ.png

A great topic!

I thought of several with the Yankees (Rick Cerone 10, 11, 6; Bobby Murcer 1, 2; Oscar Gamble 17, 23; Jack Clark 6, 21, 33; Mike Pagliarulo 6, 13), but it's very hard to find pictures showing the uniform numbers. 

Turning to the Mets, the first ones that come to mind are Felix Millan and Rusty Staub.

millan.png

staub.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Happens a lot with rookies.  You'll see some of these in the "players on the right team but wrong uniform" thread too.  Could post tons of examples, but I'll limit it to just a few.

Reggie White:

reggie-white-1986-topps-unsigned-card_ss61inDU9WYrL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Recent example: Jalen Hurts

Jalen-Hurts-Philadelphia-Eagles-1.jpg

John Kruk (11, 19, 28, 29) (couldn't find a pic of him in #28, as he sold it early in the season to Mitch Williams.  Couldn't find a pic of him in 29 in the old uniform and figured one in the current uniform wouldn't be the same.)

61kr73eM2ZL.jpgmagic-number-9-2-24-v0-y6bow35niemd1.jpe

PhotoRoom_004_20230328_073359.jpg s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pavel Bure originally wanted to wear 96 because 9/6/1991 was the date of his arrival to North America.  Pat Quinn told him no because it was a showboat number.  He changed it to 96 for the '95 season, only to go back to 10 a couple years later.

pavel-bure-dave-buston-cp.jpg

hi-res-231078_crop_north.jpg?1352410212&

Ray Bourque started out with 7 with the Bruins, but doubled it up when they retired 7 for Phil Esposito.

Bourque_7.jpg

gallery13.jpg

Lindsey Hunter in his first stint with Pistons wore #1:

signed-lindsey-hunter-picture-8x10_ss2_p

But in second he switched to #10, because of Billups:

530978034_3accfb6215_z.jpg

Speaking of Mr. Big Shot. In his first season with Nuggets he was wearing #7, because #1 belongs to J.R Smith. In his second season he switched to #1 while J.R switched to #5:

20160303_113814_jr-smith.jpg

denver-nuggets-v-utah-jazz-game-4.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20&c=eapxek5oT4ZbOy8xaZoib7fSgmZBdeyHRGm0l5u4ZXw=

Big Ben Wallace used to wear #3 in Pistons, but when he returned to Detroit that number was taken by Rodney Stuckey, so he choose #6:

Ben-Wallace.jpg

Ben_Wallace_4104263221_(cropped).jpg

4r2eer.png

8 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Kyle Busch

Mark's Random NASCAR Facts on X: "Kyle Busch (@KyleBusch) made his Cup  Series debut at @LVMotorSpeedway in 2004 driving the No. 84 Carquest Chevy  for @TeamHendrick. Busch qualified 18th but finished 41st

5-411 — Hendrick Motorsports Certified Racecars

Chase Elliott

2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Paint Schemes - Team #25 - Jayski's NASCAR  Silly Season Site

Journey back to the top has brought Elliott and the No. 9 team closer -  Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site

Ryan Newman

2001 Ryan Newman Alltel K&N by Zac C. - Trading Paints

Ryan Newman 2008 – Daytona 500 Winners

I don’t count these were they just run a partial schedule before their rookie year before getting their permanent number. It’s almost the same a spring training number before they officially make the team and get assigned their actual number. Now if you chose chase Elliott with the 24 before changing to the 9 that would fit.

Had to make sure I wasn't Mandela-effecting first.. 

800px-Anthony_Edwards_Kentavious_Caldwel

Edwards_a_thumbnail.jpg

I know there's a story somewhere on why Anthony Edwards did this,  but still...

... And like @BBTV said, you'll find tons of  examples of this throughout the NFL—especially now since the league relaxed is jersey number rules (so we all can steer clear of those changes...they're way too obvious.)

Some of the more obscure changes, though...

636003233264584689-AP-SIMPSON-MILLENNIUM

5ef26030b1d5d.image.jpg?resize=1200,842

IIRC, OJ Simpson's 36 never even made it out of the preseason. 

Speaking of 32s, this next one did make it out of the preseason...lasted for three years before the switch:

jack_tatum_1975_09_01.0.0.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Ol' Jack Tatum.

While we're on players who started wearing 31, here's another one:

pximcoujj1tscdmehwhe

Dude switched to his more familiar 30 halfway through his rookie season (which may be one of few instances of an in-season number switch):

jan-8-1989.jpg

And lastly (for this round), there was this switch—I still don't know what led to this change:

s-l1200.jpg

04-Wk12-Jags-Vikings-008.jpg

I think Daunte Culpepper changed after his rookie season to 11.

(Not pictured: Randy Moss' rookie preseason number 18...switched to 84 when the regular season started.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Like my man said, there's far too many examples for a thread.  It would be easily 1,000 pages long.

Now if we put some guardrails around it:

1. Preseason to regular season don't count.

2. Rookie to 2nd (even maybe 3rd)-year don't count.

3. Mid-career changes count, and 2nd-stints count.

3a. Like my dawg said, with the NFL abolishing its number rules, there's been an insane amount of switches.  We all know who the good players are that switched and that was covered ad nauseam.

3.b "Blood shirts" shouldn't count, as they've also been covered ad nauseam in the other thread, same as "lost" jerseys.  MJ wore 12 (I think) because of one or the other.

4. Let's limit it to players that most people should know.  Nobody cares that Dick Asswipe changed his number from 96 to 69 in his 4th season with the Tuscaloosa Turds.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Speaking of 3b and MJ, probably the most famous example of them all (I think this should count, as it was intended to be a permanent switch.)

Michael-Jordan-45-23.jpg

• Like 1

In commemmoration of the sad event of the A's last games in Oakland, here are some A's players.

Reggie Jackson

Reggie.png

(The A's retired his original number.)

Rickey Henderson 

Rickey.png

(The A's retired his second number.)

Vida Blue

Vida-Blue.png

Gene Tenace

Tenace.png

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

20 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A great topic!

I thought of several with the Yankees (Rick Cerone 10, 11, 6; Bobby Murcer 1, 2; Oscar Gamble 17, 23; Jack Clark 6, 21, 33; Mike Pagliarulo 6, 13), but it's very hard to find pictures showing the uniform numbers. 

Turning to the Mets, the first ones that come to mind are Felix Millan and Rusty Staub.

millan.png

staub.png

Lee Mazzilli wore #16 in his first Mets stint (1976-81), then when he returned in time for the Mets' 1986 World Series run (staying until 1989), he wore #13.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png