More reason to hate the Houston Aeros

Sodboy13

I'm sitting here, watching the Wolves-Aeros game on TV, and looking at the Aeros' new unis makes me want to throw up all over myself. Not only are they nothing more than clones of the Wild's sets, the cresting looks awful and is completely unrelated to the rest of the identity package. All player lettering and numbering is done in the "military stencil" font. Not only does the design of this font make it incredibly difficult to read (especially in 3-color on the numbers,) but all of the characters still have the freaking lines through them! This completely unrelated font takes a bad uni concept and turns it into an absolute mess. And keep in mind, I actually like the Minnesota Wild's uni and logo package.

What makes these new unis even worse is when you take into consideration the previous identities of the Aeros. The IHL-era Aeros logo and unis may have looked loud and tacky to some, but in my opinion, they were also unique and were assembled in a fantastic style on the uniforms. (I'm the proud owner of a green one, myself.) Last year's WHA throwbacks looked great, too, and the new logo fit in well with the more subdued color scheme. But this is nothing short of a train wreck. Why should a minor league team be required to wear uniforms that mimic its big-league affiliate? The only justification I can figure for it is certain teams saying, "Hey, now when we call these guys up, we won't have to shell out for new pants!" Blah.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i mentioned this in a past DiscrimiPaper, and agree with ya on the bastardization of the Aeros...the scheme for them is just wrong. IMO most things IHL were superior to anything AHL, and the Aeros' IHL look compared to this Houston Mild set is a prime example.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Man, where to even begin on this topic...

The Aeros hardcore fans on their message board at InstigatorAlley.com just HATE the new jerseys, and I can't blame them.

Their military jerseys with the cartoon bomber logo was a real stand out in the old IHL. I have a blue jersey done up as a Manny Fernandez. This worked out well for me since he is now on the Wild, which is now the parent club of the Aeros, even though Manny was in the Dallas Stars system during the time he was in Houston. It was also the year Houston won the championship Tuner Cup.

http://www.tigerlady.privat.t-online.de/Aeros_front.jpg

Two years ago they adopted a modern update to the original WHA Aeros jerseys with the name Aeros diagonally across the front like Gordie Howe used to wear as a white alternate. It was so popular, they made it their primary and added a blue version to complete the set.

It was at this point things started to go wrong, as they dropped their bomber logo in favor of a clip art design of what appears to be a Russian MiG-29 jet fighter. At least it was a color scheme using shades of blue like the WHA Aeros.

http://www.ahlstore.com/custom/Product/Hou...ersey_Image.jpg

Then, after one year of those jerseys, they adopted the Wild jersey template and color scheme.

http://www.ahlstore.com/custom/Product/Hou..._2004_Image.jpg

The fans on the message board in Houston went nuts!

There's no link to the teams history now in logo, colors OR jersey. Not only that, they kept the same MiG-29 logo and just recolored it to a bizzaro Christmas looking scheme. If they would have at least made the jet gold, it would have still suggested a metallic finish. Having it red just makes it look all the more Russian! At least the new logo in shades of blue hinted at being proper metallic coloring and doesn't look quite so bad anymore in comparison.

The end result is something that has alienated their hardcore fans due to it's appearing to be, and frankly being, decided based on corporate influences and descision making from 1500 miles away with no ties to the team's past.

Who knows, perhaps the die hards in Houston don't number more than 1000 and the casual fans may buy enough of them to make them feel as if it were a sucessful switch, but I myself ran out to the Wild's team store and bought the last of the Blue Aeros diagonal jerseys the day they announced the change.

Now I just have to decide between Wanvig, Wallin or Veilleux to put on it...

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Spyboy, some time we have to get together in person and compare collections. I have a feeling yours dwarfs mine. ^_^

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

are they making stars prospects wear wild logos on their shoulders this year?

that was my biggest complaint. they want to share a farm team with dallas, but they refuse to use neutral uniforms.

The Wild now own the Houston Aeros, so it's really Dallas that's attaching itself to the Aeros for this year. Next year, of course, they'll have their own team in Death Moans... er, Des Moines.

POTD 2013-08-22

The Wild now own the Houston Aeros, so it's really Dallas that's attaching itself to the Aeros for this year. Next year, of course, they'll have their own team in Death Moans... er, Des Moines.

Just say Iowa... much easier :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

i'm probably a bastard for saying this, but i really do like the wild unis they have now. a bit wildish yes, but over all i like them. the jersey with the "AEROS" lettering, simply bores me. i'll admit there not as good as the old unis they had but there better than some of the unis i have seen. *coughs*thrashers 3rd *end caugh*

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Spyboy, some time we have to get together in person and compare collections. I have a feeling yours dwarfs mine. ^_^

I'm up for that.

The Vintage green Hartford Whalers just showed up yesterday. :grin:

Anybody have any extra NHL 75th anniversary patches laying about you don't need?

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

River City Sports still sells the NHL 75th patches, I believe.

River CIty Sports - NHL 75th Patch

The idea of a green Whalers jersey makes me drool. I have a navy blue one and loved the Whale back when they, you know, existed. I want to customize a green one with Rob Brown's #44. Especially if Pucky's on the shoulders. Oh, if only the state of Connecticut and the NHL could settle things to the point where CCM could start making Whalers vintage sweaters.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

RE: Whether or not the Wild MAKE the Aeros mimic their scheme.

I don't claim to be an expert in this particular scenario.

But I dont believe the parent club typically has any say or even cares what the affiliate wears.

Again, I could be wrong.

But when the Moose researched the Alt......and asked us all to use Vancouver colors........that was the Moose, looking to reach out and identify with the parent. Not the other way around.

As it turns out.........I'm glad they didn't do that. Affiliations change baby....and then you're left in the lurch with your ex's name tatooed on your arm....so to speak.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Affiliations change baby....and then you're left in the lurch with your ex's name tatooed on your arm....so to speak.

See also: Hamilton Bulldogs logo in Oilers colours on a Canadiens jersey.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived