Yanks Cursing Under Their Breath

JQK

Yanks Cursing

under their breath

ST. LOUIS - Right to the end, it seemed way too easy. If the most celebrated wait for a championship in all of sports was finally going to end, you figured it had to end in style, with some late-inning drama to send one final shiver of fear down the spines of disbelieving Red Sox fans.

But no, as Derek Lowe kept getting routine outs, it was clear The Babe had given up the ghost the moment the Red Sox claimed Yankee Stadium as their own a week ago.

Bill Buckner could have shown up in his high tops last night, and it wouldn't have mattered.

The Red Sox exorcised The Curse of the Bambino last night when they won their first World Series since 1918, completing a sweep with a 3-0 victory over the Cardinals. But New Yorkers know better than that.

The Curse died in New York when the Sox rose from the dead to pull off the mother of all comebacks and leave the Yankees wondering how aura and mystique could suddenly bail on them.

That had to be it. If you watched this World Series you knew the Sox were finally freed from their 86-year stretch in captivity. After all those years of Bostonians shaking their fists at the heavens, everything went their way in this World Series.

They were better than the Cardinals, no question. Their blueprint came to life, as the inspired pairing of Curt Schilling and Pedro Martinez proved to be an overpowering combination.

But let's be honest: the Sox, for once, lived a charmed life in this World Series. They made eight errors in two games and still laughed their way to a 2-0 lead. The Cardinals ran the bases like Little Leaguers and it took them right out of Games 2 and 3. Cardinal line drives made a habit of going right at Red Sox gloves from start to finish.

It's not slighting what they accomplished. The Sox were the best team in baseball the final two months of the season, and they finished the postseason with eight straight wins, a feat no team has ever accomplished.

Chances are they would have won this World Series no matter how the ball bounced. The Cardinals were exposed as a team without any top starters; it's hard to win a World Series with average pitching.

This whole Series had the feel of an NCAA basketball final after the two best teams in the country met in the semis.

The Sox said as much.

"After what we did against the Yankees, we knew nothing could stop us," Johnny Damon said. "Nothing could ever be harder than that."

Right to the end, they seemed to carry the spirit of that ALCS comeback with them, especially when they went up 3-0.

"I think we learned about winning the way we played against the Yankees," said Manny Ramirez, the Series MVP. "Before the game tonight I said, 'Hey, let's go. We can't let these guys breathe.'"

They never did. Lowe, who was reborn in these playoffs, gave the Sox a third straight dominant start against the Cardinals. Damon led off the game with a home run, and right from there you knew it was their night. Their year.

At the end, even the Cardinal fans seemed to understand the historic significance of the moment. Flashbulbs popped all around Busch Stadium as Keith Foulke got Edgar Renteria to ground one back to him for the final out.

And then, as the Sox players piled all over one another, nearly all of the fans stood and watched for a long time, apparently transfixed by the impossible idea the Red Sox had won the World Series.

The celebration was wild, befitting the Red Sox's frat-house persona, but amidst all the champagne spraying, the players claimed to have a calmness built around their belief all along that this was their destiny.

"We never stopped believing," said Damon. "Not even against the Yankees."

Yes, it seems this team will always be linked with that remarkable series against the Yankees, and so as the Sox celebrated, you couldn't help wondering what those same Yankees had to be thinking.

Were they watching? Even if they weren't, you wondered if Joe Torre, Derek Jeter and the rest are sleeping easily yet, a week after Game 7 at the Stadium. Or do they still lie awake at night, replaying the hows and whys of blowing that 3-0 lead to the Sox?.

Surely it hurts even a little more after the Sox made it look so easy against the Cardinals.

If the Yankees did watch, they must have shaken their heads at the sloppy play in this World Series and think they should have been here, winning another championship.

But for once the Red Sox were strong enough to stand up to all of their history and refused to so much as flinch. Apparently they were good enough to impress even The Babe.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

If the Yankees did watch, they must have shaken their heads at the sloppy play in this World Series and think they should have been here, winning another championship.

Too bad, so sad. They didn't get the chance. They blew it, the Red Sox came up clutch, etc.

Get over it. :P Red Sox are World Champions.... I'll say it again:

RED SOX ARE WORLD CHAMPS, AND THE YANKEES ARE NOT!

Let it soak in, friends. It's going to be the case for 364 more days.

My first post, and probably one of the few posts I'll make, after the Series about the Series on here, but...

I say Bull-Shot to the claim that the two best teams met in the ALCS.

I'm still holding my claim the Cardinals were the best team. The best team doesn't always win.

That's not a knock against the Sox at all...they're a great team and they played hard and well, and they won...big time.

Yet, the Cards just simply didn't play like they did all year long, and it was not as simple as the Red Sox shutting them down or them not trying. Nobody knows what happened, but they just flat off didn't play like the 2004 Cardinals.

It's truely a shame that they fell into a slump in the World Series, but that's what happened. The real shame is that they couldn't show the nation just how good and special this team really was.

I know I have bias, but with that bias comes a season long following of the Cards, and believe me, this season was one of the best and most special season baseball probably has ever had and will ever had. It really is a shame the nation saw their World Series performance and can't know just how special this team was.

My first post, and probably one of the few posts I'll make, after the Series about the Series on here, but...

I say Bull-Shot to the claim that the two best teams met in the ALCS.

I'm still holding my claim the Cardinals were the best team. The best team doesn't always win.

That's not a knock against the Sox at all...they're a great team and they played hard and well, and they won...big time.

Yet, the Cards just simply didn't play like they did all year long, and it was not as simple as the Red Sox shutting them down or them not trying. Nobody knows what happened, but they just flat off didn't play like the 2004 Cardinals.

It's truely a shame that they fell into a slump in the World Series, but that's what happened. The real shame is that they couldn't show the nation just how good and special this team really was.

I know I have bias, but with that bias comes a season long following of the Cards, and believe me, this season was one of the best and most special season baseball probably has ever had and will ever had. It really is a shame the nation saw their World Series performance and can't know just how special this team was.

I totally agree with you. Red Sox nation for the most part doesn't care about the NL game. The AL doesn't. They always consider the NL the weaker game. Its mainly because they strole a Ortiz up there instead of a pitcher 3 times a game. The managers don't have to manage, only decide when to take out the starting pitcher. (I'm generalizing, but its mainly true.)

Joe Torre wasn't a good NL manager at all. Now he babysits the the Yankees and is a future Hall of Famer.

The biggest shame is how this Cardinals team is percieved in the baseball world. They hit a slump, the Red Sox were Red Hot. I'm not taking anything away from them, they were amazing. They deserve to win. They probably would have beat the Cardinals even if the Cardinals played to potential. I just wish they showed up and showed the Red Sox nation and the rest of the world that the NL boys can play some ball too.

I'm happy the Red Sox won. I've wanted to see it for years. But I'm also happy that they won, because they are overshadowing the Cardinals poor play. I hate it, but I'll admit it :P

Like you STL, this was my favorite year as a Cardinals fan by far. I saw a team nobody thought would do anything this year, the team everyone thought would finish a distant third in the Central become National League champions and have the best record in the regular season. It was a magical year and I really hope that they continue it next year. Sign Renteria, Sign Matheney. Let the Yankees have Matt Morris :)

I'll always remember my first year actually living within the arch's shadows. I had always been about 2 hours away, and I'll never forget moving here closer and watching every single game on tv, buying a Cardinals Rally Band, listening to all the goofy songs written about the team, and then watching them win the NLCS.

I have to say, from what I've read, the Sox fans actually have sounded very respectful of the Cards and us, the fans. They seem willing to acknowledge the greatness of this organization all around. I'm glad to hear that. What I hate is the fact that the Cards couldn't prove it to them, or the rest of the nation.

It just really was a special season.

I can't say the exceeded my expectations at the beginning of the year by a ton, but I'm thrilled that the met them.

I, and you can choose to believe me or not, said from the beginning when they were being picked third in the central that they were the best team in the division. Their offense was best, their defense was best, their bullpen was best, and their starting pitching was above average. That pretty much all came true. I guess they exceeded my expectations in running away with the division, and I'm not sure I expected as much as we got out of the rotation. I always say Cards will win the Series, but at that point I was just trying to make my case for them to win the division and not focusing on what would happen in the postseason.

I don't know. It was just so special. All the games they dominated, the games the got down and fought back valiantly to at least put the tieing run on deck. The amazing comebacks that they completed. I'll never forget that comeback against the Cubbies. I had to go to work at Schnucks (grocery store) that day. I left after they had fallen way behind (I don't remember the score but it was by at least 7 runs I think) early. At work I was talking to my co-workers about it saying how they could come back and how I had faith that they will. I ran something back to the stock room in the back of the store when I heard a radio with the game on. They had made it close. I heard So Taguchi hit the tieing home run. Then I heard Albert hit the one to give us the lead...his third of the day. I kept finding excuses to get back there and listen, and eventually via a workers dad via a phone call while was on break I found out they held on and won. It's just those experiences that made it so special. The team was special. The fact that we were that into the game at work...as fans...just amazing.

I'm disappointed not to have won the Series, but I'll never forget the first pennant of my life.

The Cardinals wern't the better team because they didn't have pitching. They really don't even have one ace. They do have a great closer and a couple of good relievers but it doesn't help when the starters can't go 5 innings. The Red Sox having one of the best lineups in the MLB lit up the not so good pitchers. There is not another lineup like that in the NL. The cardinals never faced a team like that this year. Only the Yankees and the Cardinals themselves have a lineup anywhere close to that. It wasn't like their hitting choked the Red Sox just had 3 of the best pitchers (Even though lowe didn't show it during the regular season) and the best knuckleballer pitch. The Red Sox have the best all around team. The only other team that I think is close to being all around is the Angels. The Cardinals have best hitting and great fielding but not so good pitching and the Red Sox exposed that. Same thing for the Yankees too. The best team did win.

Your team lost. I hate people that say "Well, we were the better team, but we still lost."

If you lose, you weren't better. That is the bottom line.

GOD!!! You're making me defend the RED SOX!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I heard this theory on some sports talk show today...

Had St. Louis played any "must-win" games this year? Since they pretty much led from start to finish, most of their games didn't carry a strong sense of importance or urgency. I'm not talking about natural rival games against the Cubs, but the Cards coasted through the season. What did they win by, 13? The division title seemed like a given from mid-season on.

So the first "must-win" games they played were games 6 and 7 against Houston. And not being used to the urgency, they kind of spent themselves over those 2 games, and it bled a little into Game 1 of the Series.

The Red Sox played many "must-win" games throughout the course of the season, especially since they were fighting for first place with the Yankees until the last week or so of September, and they were also competing for the Wild Card position.

As impressive as the Cardinals season was (105 wins, not bad at all), the fact that it seemed very easy and non-competitive, at least divisionally, worked against them in the long run. Things might have been different if the Cards ran the table (obviously), or held commanding leads in each of their playoff series. Sometimes dominant teams can't adjust to suddenly being the underdog. Unfortunately for St. Louis, this was the case, and they got swept.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I... agree with him too. Something is wrong here.

Anyway, the Cardinals are not the best team. I will say that the best team doesn't always win in a 7 game series -- but that the better team should atleast win a game! I said it before the playoffs started -- the Cardinals have no starting pitching, therefore they were not the best since pitching wins in the playoffs, usually. I was right. :D

IUe6Hvh.png

I heard this theory on some sports talk show today...

Had St. Louis played any "must-win" games this year? Since they pretty much led from start to finish, most of their games didn't carry a strong sense of importance or urgency. I'm not talking about natural rival games against the Cubs, but the Cards coasted through the season. What did they win by, 13? The division title seemed like a given from mid-season on.

So the first "must-win" games they played were games 6 and 7 against Houston. And not being used to the urgency, they kind of spent themselves over those 2 games, and it bled a little into Game 1 of the Series.

The Red Sox played many "must-win" games throughout the course of the season, especially since they were fighting for first place with the Yankees until the last week or so of September, and they were also competing for the Wild Card position.

As impressive as the Cardinals season was (105 wins, not bad at all), the fact that it seemed very easy and non-competitive, at least divisionally, worked against them in the long run. Things might have been different if the Cards ran the table (obviously), or held commanding leads in each of their playoff series. Sometimes dominant teams can't adjust to suddenly being the underdog. Unfortunately for St. Louis, this was the case, and they got swept.

Good theory. I think it holds true, to an extent.

You could go as far as to say that's what happened to the Mariners a few years back, no?

IUe6Hvh.png

You could go as far as to say that's what happened to the Mariners a few years back, no?

Speaking of the Mariners...that Varitek and Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb trade has got to go down as the worst trade in baseball history at this point, if it wasn't already.

I'm sure that's up there. There have been some bad ones. Cardinals Aquiring McGuire was a big one in recent years.

A-Rod for soriano....just kidding :)

I never thought of that theory. Its an excellent point. Sure I felt anxiety this year, but never was there a must win game until 6 and 7. The sox are under pressure from day one, every year. The pressure in New York and Boston is huge. Look at Jeff Weaver. A pretty good pitcher who was awful in the Bronx. Gets out and starts winning again. Some players can take that pressure, others can't. Doesn't make them any less of a player all the time. I mean there are plenty of players who work very well for the Red Sox and Yankees that wouldn't be all that great on other teams or who don't play great on other teams. David Wells is a perfect example. Pitches well for the yankees, but never really brings it as well on other teams.

I had already thought of the no pressure thing, and I'm sure that's a bit of factor.

Anyway, the fact that people say the Cards didn't have pitching just exposes the unfortunate ignorance about the nation towards this team.

The Astros lineup is scarier than the Red Sox in an NL ballpark if you ask me.

This team had that best bullpen in all of baseball. They had the second best team era (including starters) to the Braves by like a thousandth of a point or something. The Cards had four pitchers with 15 wins or more.

People say they had no ace. They didn't have a dominant ace, but they did have an ace. Chris Carpenter filled this role. He was hurt though. Nobody in America seems to know this though.

The Red Sox were the better team for the final week or so of the postseason I guess I can concede, but the Cardinals were the best team in baseball for about 6 1/2 months.

The Cards simply played like a different, much worse team in the World Series. It's unexplainable.

To allow those four games to overshadow their dominance over 173 games is ridiculous though.

The Red Sox won the prize, but the Cardinals were the best team of the 2004 season.

To allow those four games to overshadow their dominance over 173 games is ridiculous though.

The Red Sox won the prize, but the Cardinals were the best team of the 2004 season.

So... can I call my Jays the best team of the 1987 season?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The Jays didn't even make the playoffs that year, did they?

I wasn't around, I don't know how it went down, but I'd say that the chances that's how things were are doubtful. Although given their record, maybe they were in front the whole year then collapsed at the end? I don't know.

The Cardinals hit a slump here. It resulted in a four game losing streak. That's nothing over 177 games. It just happened to be in the playoffs.

Do you really believe that the Wild Card team was the best team in baseball in 2004? They weren't. Just as the Marlins and the Angels weren't either. They were the best team in baseball over the final week to a month maybe, but not the best team of the 2004 season.

That claim belongs to the Cardinals.

The Jays didn't even make the playoffs that year, did they?

I wasn't around, I don't know how it went down, but I'd say that the chances that's how things were are doubtful. Although given their record, maybe they were in front the whole year then collapsed at the end? I don't know.

You tell me... :)

156 1987-09-27 DET L 2-3 96-60 (13 Innings)

157 1987-09-28 MIL L 4-6 96-61

158 1987-09-29 MIL L 3-5 96-62

159 1987-09-30 MIL L 2-5 96-63

160 1987-10-02 @DET L 3-4 96-64

161 1987-10-03 @DET L 2-3 96-65 (12 Innings)

162 1987-10-04 @DET L 0-1 96-66

we lost the East by 2 to those Tigers -- who then lost in the ALCS to those Twins (slams head against wall)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The Red Sox were the better team for the final week or so of the postseason I guess I can concede, but the Cardinals were the best team in baseball for about 6 1/2 months.

So? Only in the NHL do you get a prize for winning the regular season and that doesn't matter. Ask any team that won it and they'll tell you they'd rather have the Stanley Cup.

Not when they're the four most important games of the year. (Ask the Yankees about that. More people are gonna remember that ALCS choke more than they'll remember their excellent regular season.)

By that token, the Ottawa Senators were the best NHL team of 2002-2003 and the Detroit Red Wings the best team of 2003-2004. (And the St. Louis Blues were the best team of 1999-2000.)

The entire purpose of the regular season is to prime yourself into the best position to win the big prize. The things you do in the regular season should be able to make sure that you can beat anybody no matter who they start, and you should be able to win in spite of the players you lose or can't start. Obviously not everybody can be #1 at winning the regular season, but it's only winning the post-season that matters. You have to be able to win when you need to. And while you may have avoided elimination by the Astros, you couldn't win when you had to against the Red Sox. You should of, but couldn't. It's whoever wins the very last game that is the best team. Nothing else matters except winning that game. You didn't win it, you weren't the best. Speculation leads to nothing so you have no choice but to move on and look forward to next season and hope that they can improve upon their success.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived