NFL Numbers & Letters

Nick 1733

Yeah, the Giants is definatley straight this year too. This pic. is from a couple weeks ago:

8C48CA6F868341B8945078686B3C3F92.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad. I read your post wrong. I still think you guys did a great job overall. You really nailed the Packers "5", which is the one most people would have missed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

crap, I have made a HUGE mistake, the Chargers are the only team with the 'elbow' of the 5 slanted, the rest have a right angle, the ones with the Varsity Block font.

Somehow, I'll find it in my heart to forgive you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

wow, harsh. Ugly? hardly. The Bengals numbers, now those are ugly.

The U of Miami numbers, now those are ugly. The U of Washington numbers,

now those are ugly.

We just took the numbers they were using on their helmets (for years)

and decided to use them on their jerseys. Sure fullblock looks good

and always had, but fullblock looks good on anything so that argument is moot.

No one really thought the Bengals numbers were ugly when placed on the backs of the US Soccer teams' uniforms. Same font, just made 3-D. Doesn't quite work for a football uniform, but it's not an ugly font.

Miami? Some bastardization of Handel Gothic. That's not a pretty font.

Washington? Not sure. Kind of looks like a cross between Handel Gothic and Crillee (think Blue Jays).

West Virginia? A fatter version of Washington, but with horrible spacing.

I do like the numbers used by the University of Cincinnati & U. New Hampshire football teams, and Xavier's baskertball teams. Nike Gothic is how it's listed on the niketeam website. I'm looking for a copy of it myself, but that's another story (and another thread).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Actually, I'll be perfectly honest. I love most of the new numbers. I don't really see the big issue with them. They're an attempt to add a unique flavor to a schools uniform. They're bold, but not difficult to read. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really like Nike's style as well as most of the new stuff they put out. I'm a big fan of the piping. Piping solves a usually major problem: giving the uniform a simple but advanced look.

And Pittsburgh's new numbers work perfectly with their uniforms. Good job whoever was in charge of it.

Washington? Not sure. Kind of looks like a cross between Handel Gothic and Crillee (think Blue Jays).

Actually, Washington calls their typeface "Husky Bold":

The block W was also used to develop a new display typeface, Husky Bold, that will be unique for Washington athletics. The typeface will be used in the new identity program on all uniforms, court and field signage, publications and departmental letterhead. The typeface includes numerals used on all uniforms.

fonts-lg.jpg

Archived