Name the philly afl team

IowaFan26

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo's name isin't meant as a Naval name, it is just the Detroyers, as in Destroying crap.

Not as in the Destroyer ship design.

I really like Dreadnaughts, and i also like Militia. I don't like rebels. How about this for some finalist names:

Philadelphia Dreadnaughts

Philadelphia Militia

Philadelphia Revolutionaries

Philadelphia Independents (yes, i ripped you of, Fry...) :)

Philadelphia Dockers

Philadelphia Seadogs (Common nickname for sailors)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

maybe Philly Armada...damn i saved that name if there was ever expansion into Mexico...oh well. Philadelphia Armada...wait, that don't sound that great. Philly Militia it should probably be...that or Talons...no, wait, that's AF2 Tulsa...damn i'm stuck on where to go with this.

btw generals and admirals have never been used by any Arena team.  wait...i got it now...Philly Commandos(Washington's old name)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

In no particular order of preference, how about...

1) Philadelphia Glory: In honor of Betsy Ross producing the first United States "Stars and Stripes"-design flag in the city.

2) Philadelphia Commodores: In honor of Commodore John Barry, regarded as the "Father of the American Navy" by his colonial peers - including President George Washington. Barry was the first Colonial Navy officer to capture a British war vessel at sea. In addition, he established the first comprehensive set of signals for communication between American vessels at sea.

3) Philadelphia Fire: Recognizing the Union Fire Company of Philadelphia - the first volunteer fire department in this country.

Brian in Boston

Actually, Discrim, Philadelphia Armada sounds kindof cool. That's an interesting idea.

Yeah, that's cool. But it doesn't roll off the tongue right. Shorten it to Philly Armada and it's a nice name.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2) Philadelphia Commodores: In honor of Commodore John Barry, regarded as the "Father of the American Navy" by his colonial peers - including President George Washington. Barry was the first Colonial Navy officer to capture a British war vessel at sea. In addition, he established the first comprehensive set of signals for communication between American vessels at sea.

Brian in Boston

doesn't roll off the tongue like a team name should, but what the hey...at least there'd be a better team using the name than Vandy.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Well, I'm thinking of names, off the top of my head.How about the following:

vultures, bombers, pythons, cannons, explorers, serpents, or massacre?

Massacre. Interesting. AFL-ish too. I like it. But...it's more Boston-ish. Boston Massacre would be a kickin' team name.

Ninerfan: Although it sounds cool, it would be a very bad thing to do. Just like we hope New York never has a team named the Terrorists or the Kamikazes, the Boston Massacre was a dark time in American History. Many people lost their lives. I know you could make a case that many people have lost their lives to Grizzlies or Sharks or other Predators, but these names refer to the animal, not the human loss-of-life element.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Well, I guess 'massacre' would be be too cruel of a name. Forgive me, I was unaware of the Boston Massacre when I thought of the name. Considering I'm from Toronto, hopefully some of you will forgive me!

I saw, I came, I left.

Ninerfan: Although it sounds cool, it would be a very bad thing to do. Just like we hope New York never has a team named the Terrorists or the Kamikazes, the Boston Massacre was a dark time in American History. Many people lost their lives. I know you could make a case that many people have lost their lives to Grizzlies or Sharks or other Predators, but these names refer to the animal, not the human loss-of-life element.

True, true. Really didn't think about that...

ok, i'm realizing i am no good at naming philly teams...here goes...

Tha Illadelph :D

man i need sleep

2016cubscreamsig.png

I read over the other posts, and did not see this nickname suggested, but how about in honor of John Hancock, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, et al......

Philadelphia Founders

Our country was "founded" in Philadelphia.

The Ph and F sounds give a nice sports alliteration.

The logo could be the word Founders written in a font similar to that used on the Declaration of Independence, and have the capital F use a quill pen to be the 2nd line in the "F".

I picture a blue helmet surrounded by 13 stars with "Founders" written inside of it.  The only drawback to this logo is it would look somewhat like the classic 76ers logo.

Regards,

Bill McD.

Archived