Marlins one step away from new stadium.

marlinfan

Miami · A new Marlins baseball stadium for Miami came closer to reality Tuesday when Miami-Dade County commissioners approved a plan to use convention development taxes to help pay for a new $420 million stadium.

The plan would redirect county hotel bed taxes used for Miami Arena to the city of Miami after the arena is sold. Miami officials would then sell $60 million in bonds by next September to pay for the ballpark, said Miami-Dade Tax Collector Ian Yorty, who has been negotiating the deal.

Miami-Dade officials have pledged $132 million toward the ballpark, Yorty said, including $58 million in bed taxes stemming from the sale of Miami Arena.

The Marlins said in October that a 38,000-seat ballpark and garage east of the Orange Bowl would cost $420 million and pledged to pay $192 million. City officials earlier pledged $28 million in tourist development taxes, and a $32 million parking garage is expected to pay for itself through parking fees. The three parties plan to lobby for a $60 million state sales tax rebate from the Legislature next spring to cover $30 million in construction costs.

Early success of the latest financing package hinged on the County Commission's approval of the bed tax plan.

Without it, the sale of the Miami Arena could not close next month, Yorty said.

Palm Beach Polo owner Glenn Straub agreed in August to pay $28 million for the arena, the former home of the Miami Heat and Florida Panthers that has steadily lost franchises and their audiences to AmericanAirlines Arena.

The Miami Sports and Exhibition Authority stipulated any sale of the arena could not proceed without an agreement in place among the city, county and the agency over how the arena's bed taxes would be spent, according to a memo by Miami-Dade County Manager George M. Burgess.

The County Commission's vote follows identical measures passed by the Miami Sports and Exhibition Authority and the Miami City Commission in the past two weeks, said Otto Bondet-Murias, an adviser to Miami City Manager Joe Arriola.

Miami city officials expect the arena's sale to close by Dec. 15, he said.

Burgess said the plan was "beneficial to all involved because it allowed us to leverage more money toward the ballpark." He said he expected Miami's bond sale to generate $60 million plus another $15 million to $20 million that would help pay for Orange Bowl renovations.

Yorty said Miami was in a better position than Miami-Dade to raise $60 million because the county would have to raise more money for every dollar of debt it issued.

Miami-Dade already uses hotel bed taxes to pay for more than $368 million in projects, including the Performing Arts Center under construction.

Yorty said ultimately Miami-Dade, Miami, the Marlins and officials from the Miami Sports and Exhibition Authority still had to sort out several issues, including a guarantee to cover cost overruns, a lease, and development and management agreements.

Miami has begun negotiations with the Marlins on these issues, said Miami City Manager Joe Arriola.

Yorty said he expects Miami-Dade officials to begin talks with the team soon.

If negotiations to bring the Marlins to Miami fall through, Burgess said Miami-Dade would give Miami $2 million annually from the bed taxes to pay for Orange Bowl renovations until 2020.

County Commissioner Rebeca Sosa said the plan to use hotel bed taxes for a stadium was a sign of good things to come.

"I would like to commend both managers Burgess and Arriola for a job very well done, for protecting the residents of the county and bringing another attraction to our county," she said.

Tania Valdemoro can be reached at tvaldemoro@sun-sentinel.com or 305-810-5006.

Close friend close to the stadium issue says by 1-30-05 the city, team, and county will sign the contract. Then they will need the states money which leaders in the state say they will approve including Gov. Bush.

I can't believe they have come this far.

*dies*

1997 | 2003

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its about time the deserve a baseball only retractable stadium, they need oen to survive as well.

Joe Robbe Stadium, which I stilll call it btw is fine for the Dolphins and Ill be gald when it can go back to be just used for the Dolphins.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

And there has been talk about putting a new bowl game in the Orange Bowl from what I saw in USA TODAY on Tuesday [11/30/04] about attendence problems with the likes of the New Orleans Bowl, the Silicon Valley Classic and the Champs Sports Tangerine Bowl. Now, if we can think about having Tampa Bay move from that horrorfying place called the Suncoast Dome/ThunderDome/Tropicana Field to an retractable-roof stadium. That place from what I've heard is as inviting as a dungeon.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Is it true that they will also have to/ agreed to change the name of the team from the Florida Marlins to the Miami Marlins?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Take a look at these from Ballparks.com ...........Looks good guys.

Rendering

Overhead seating chart

Not to mention these are at least from 2000-2002 (Somewhere in that range) :P

I've been looking for different pictures than that forever, and I haven't been able to find them.

Actually, my ballpark craze led me to a site with ballpark logos, which led me to Chris Creamer's site.

Take a look at these from Ballparks.com ...........Looks good guys.

Rendering

Overhead seating chart

The first rendering is of the proposed ballpark at Biccentenial Park downtown proposed by former owner John Henry. That one ain't happening. The second rendering is of a proposed park by the city a year ago of a conjoined Marlins Park with a renovated Orange Bowl. The Marlins said that idea wouldn't work. As of now no new renderings for the new park have come out. All we know is that it most likely will be on the east side of the OB property have 38k seats, roof on the third base side, aqauarium, community center, lost of plants growing throughout the ballpark, stucco not much brick, and a Miami feel to the park (but not a South Beach look), some art deco. I have confidence in a beautiful park because Loria is an art dealer.

BTW; No Teal Monster in the new park. :cursing:<_<:mad:

1997 | 2003

Oh well dude..that team is what..10 years old?

Florida Marlins

Est. 1993

So 2005 will be the 13th season of the franchise.

and don't forget TWO World Series titles! :D

ohhhhh, Philly....... BURN!!!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Oh well dude..that team is what..10 years old?

Florida Marlins

Est. 1993

So 2005 will be the 13th season of the franchise.

and don't forget TWO World Series titles! :D

ohhhhh, Philly....... BURN!!!

..not to mention never finishing in first, having one more WS than the Braves dynasty, one more than the Philly franchise that only has one in 120+ years of existence. Now we might even get the Phillies former manager!

2003 was a magical year, being able to beat the four teams I hate the most.

(PHI, SF, CHC, NYY.) Some of the stuff that happened that year were incredible.

1997 | 2003

Close friend close to the stadium issue says by 1-30-05 the city, team, and county will sign the contract. Then they will need the states money which leaders in the state say they will approve including Gov. Bush.

*dies*

Vegas, baby? Marlins meet with officials about possible move

Now, if we can think about having Tampa Bay move from that horrorfying place called the Suncoast Dome/ThunderDome/Tropicana Field to an retractable-roof stadium.  That place from what I've heard is as inviting as a dungeon.

You are correct, sir, yes.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

*dies*

Vegas, baby? Marlins meet with officials about possible move

Talk about your royal kick in the face... they build you up then smash you down.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Two reasons that the Marlins will NEVER move to Vegas:

1. Organized, Legal Gambling. No rightful major professional sports league will EVER put a team in Nevada because of that. Someone thought about moving an NBA franchise there, and that rumor got shot down faster than Gary Power's U2 over the Soviet Union. The No Fun League stands very firm on putting any team in Vegas, ditto with the NHL, and unless baseball's interim-commisioner-for-life This Bud's For You Selig's magic conch shell says otherwise, well we may expect the 1919 Black Sox to be inducted into Cooperstown on the day the devil shivers in that hot spot below. Plus, the state repealed a law some time ago about taking wagers on in-state teams (i. e. UNLV).

2. If all else fails, then there's contraction. Don't be surprised if the money doesn't come from Jeb "I helped my brother, Dubya, get into the White House by rigging the 2000 Presidential Election" Bush and the rest of the Florida Legislature, controlled by the way, by the Republicans, both the Marlins and Devil Rays owners get $500 million apiece to just go away after the 2006 season. Remember, contraction is an option in the current CBA. My guess is that they will negotiate at least an expansion of the 25-man roster to add at least one player in the new CBA in exchange for contraction of any teams.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived