Your 5 biggest sports memories 2004

Stampman

Yes the Red Sox win was a big story, but on a personal level--what do you think will be the top 5 sports memories for 2004.

It may be the Sox still.

But if Baseball and/or the Red Sox aren't your top priorities there would be other stories that are your personal ones...

So to repeat again--these are your personal memories or highlights--they don't have to be big news stories... (although they can be too)

Mine would normally incude a Stampeders story--but other than John Grace & Nik Lewis there wasn't much...

So my top 5 highlights--in no real order--

1-The Canada-er World Cup--some very good hockey along the way--and the Good Guys won... :flagcanada:

2-The Flames made the playoffs after missing them for 7 years--as a Flames fan--that's a biggie

3-The Flames win a playoff series for the first time in 15 years--Not a fond memory for Canucks fans--but for Flames fans, another biggie

4-The Flames beat the Red Wings--who show their age...Martin Gelinas comes up big again in OT! I may never forget that goal...

5-The Flames get to the finals--unfortunately the ending wasn't better--but what a ride!

So yours will probably differ--and in sports for one team to be happy, another has to be sad...

And Lightning fans trump me on that one...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personal, eh?

1. pistons shock the world, stomp high and mighty lakers.

2. sox comeback over yanks...anticlimactic world series win.

3. nhl lockout

4. tigers sign pudge / improve by almost 30 games

5. schilling is the fluffing man!

#5:

The New Orleans Saints making the playoffs for the first time in francise history

#4:

Hands down the 2004 ALCS and World Series. I do not think ayt any point in my life that this willever happen again.

#3:

Two for this one (hey if Berman can do it, so can I):

1998 - Tulane winning their first Conference USA football title at home v. Louisville then going to the AXA Liberty Bowl and spanking BYU.

1992- Tulane defeating St. John;s in the First Round of the Mens NCAA Division I Basketball Tournament in Atlanta.

#2:

Lance Arnstrong winning all six of his Tours. That by far is the greatest individual sports acheivement EVER.

#1:

I remeber being home from school in Janaury of 1980, sitting in the den of my parents' house watching the USA/Russia game tape delayed with my mother. To this day, every time I hear Al Michaels' call of "Do you believe in miracles?" I get chills.

Mahalo.

dodgers-1.png

Hmm, let's see...counting down...

5. The Pistons beating the living plop out of the Lakers. Who cares about the NBA Championship victory; as long as the Lakers don't win, I'm a happy man.

4. Paul McCallum missing that field goal in OT of the West Division final in the CFL (that's a bad memory, but it still counts).

3. My LA Kings losing their last 11 games (0-9-0-2) of the season, as well as suffering more than 600 man games lost to injury.....yeah, that's another bad one...second year in a row for crazy-ass injuries.

2. The Red Sox coming back and beating the Yankees. Who cares about their World Series victory; as long as the Yanks don't win, I'm a happy man.

1. The NHL lockout. Add on another year of the Kings' existence without a Cup. Same goes for Leafs fans. :D

And that's it from my standpoint.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

3. My LA Kings losing their last 11 games (0-9-0-2) of the season, as well as suffering more than 600 man games lost to injury.....yeah, that's another bad one...second year in a row for crazy-ass injuries.

If the Kings had stayed reasonably healthy they would have been a strong Cup contender...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

My Top 5: (from 5 to 1)

5: A sad one. The Expos leaving Montreal. :cry: Thank God for Fantasy Baseball.

4: Canada winning the World Cup.

3: The Alouettes recording their best regular season in franchise history. ("Regular" is all I can say. If they'd won the Grey Cup, it would've got the #1 spot.)

2: The Boston Red Sox winning the World Series, it could've been #1, but they couldn't have done it without this next one, which SHOULD be made #1...

1: The Red Sox, coming from a 3-games-to-none deficit, to beat the Yankees. THE YANKEES!!!! Serves them right for the Curse of the Bambino.

Here's my list in no particular order

1) Olympics - Greece pulling it off was a miracle in some ways and they did host a good games despite the massive debt the Greeks have to endure

2) Red Sox winning the World Series. Enough said.

3) Greece winning Euro 2004 - To me this was a big story. I tuned into as many games as I could and there were celebrations everywhere. The final was the single most watched event of 2004. It could not be ignored

4) NHL lockout

5) BALCO drug scandal. It isn't just about Bonds or Jones or Giambi, there were many others invovled in this before them. I'm behind Senator John McCain in cleaning up baseball and any sport affected by this.

I saw, I came, I left.

If the Kings had stayed reasonably healthy they would have been a strong Cup contender...

FINALLY some reasonable sympathy from a non-Kings fan! Thanks, Stampman!

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

1. Pistons-Pacers Basketbrawl... I found the video on the internet, and watched it for over 2 hours laughing my butt off.

2. Pistons beat the Lakers in convincing fashion... I found this ALSO to be ridiculously funny, due to my incredible hate for the Lakers then.

3. Super Bowl...Probably the best football game I've ever seen.

4. Team USA Finishing 3rd At Olympics... Even though I love Team USA, I found this ridiculously funny as well.

5. Boston comes back from 0-3 to beat Yankees... See reason for #2, except replace "Lakers" with "Yankees"

1. Red Sox Win World Series, End 86-Year Old Curse!!!

2. Red Sox Beat Yankees

2a. Yankees Biggest Choke Ever

3. Patriots Win SuperBowl XXXVIII

4. NHL Lockout

5. Pistons beat Lakers, Shaq & Kobe get divorced

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

1. 2004 MLB Playoffs

2. Army Winning 2 Games, Having #1 Play of The NCAA Football year on ESPN

2a. Army Hiring Bobby Ross

3. Hedrick Racing Airplane Crash, plus Reggie White, etc. they all belong here

4. Steroids. Memorable, but not surprising

5. My high school making it to the Suffolk County (NY) Championships :P

Real #5. Lightning win Stanley Cup, I've followed them a little since I saw them in my first hockey game ever, not a huge fan, but I can say I've followed them.

I'll start with something on a personal level,and I'll make this my Greatest Sports Highs of 2004,as the obvious moments and memories have already been covered and will continue to be.

5)Super Bowl XXXVIII-An amazing game....absolutely awesome.Brady and Delhomme went toe-to-toe with each and matched each other blow for blow in the fourth quarter.A John Kasey kickoff out of bounds probably kept this from being the first overtime Super Bowl ever.It was also 2 days before my auto accident,

and in the hospital I actually thought I had missed the game when I came out of my coma.I watched the tape of the game when I got home from the hospital and oddly it was like watching it for the first time.I didnt remember not one play from when I first saw it,only the two teams and who won.

4)Dale Jr. wins Daytona.For us in the South-and my mom and myself in particular-this was a big event.Was also the first major sporting event after my wreck,and I watched it layed-up on the couch enjoying my liquid diet.MMMM!

3)My AAU basketball team.This was the year I had options:To either call it a day because all of my original core of players were now 19-20 and no longer eligible,

or to start from scratch with a new crop of 14-15 year olds.Since I had a nephew

who was 14 and he was not asked to play on the traveling squad that formed for his age group,this was a no-brainer.Then a drunk driver pulled out in front of me,and it looked certain there would be no team and no chance for me to build my program back up.But,on the day of the NFL Draft in April,just 2 1/2 months after my accident,my team took the court.....and I was on the bench.We were only able to play 7 games(going 3-4)because we missed the first 2 months of the season,but those may have been the most rewarding 7 games I've ever coached.

Oh yeah,I'll be back for the full season this year,with my whole team returning as well:)

2)Watching the Red Sox come from 0-3 to defeat the Yankees.When they fell down 0-3 that Saturday night to the Yankees I told my g/f Rachel that it was all but over,but I also told her I wouldnt give up hope until the last out was made.Fortunately,neither did the Sox!

1)Seeing the Sox win it all in my lifetime.Now,I'm only 28 and this seemed likely anyway,but then again you never know.In the summer of 2003 I started writing a fiction book about the Red Sox winning the World Series.I took a break from writing for fantasy football in 03 and then after my wreck,and then wrote a little here and there thinking it didnt really matter when I finished.....because something would probably keep them from winning it this year anyway.Then my computer crashed in September and took my entire writing with it.My plan was to restart it in November or after the Sox were eliminated from the playoffs.In November I started thinking of something else to write about.

98Falcons.png

I'll start with something on a personal level,and I'll make this my Greatest Sports Highs of 2004,as the obvious moments and memories have already been covered and will continue to be.

5)Super Bowl XXVIII-An amazing game....absolutely awesome.Brady and Delhomme went toe-to-toe with each and matched each other blow for blow in the fourth quarter.A John Kasey kickoff out of bounds probably kept this from being the first overtime Super Bowl ever.It was also 2 days before my auto accident,

and in the hospital I actually thought I had missed the game when I came out of my coma.I watched the tape of the game when I got home from the hospital and oddly it was like watching it for the first time.I didnt remember not one play from when I first saw it,only the two teams and who won.

4)Dale Jr. wins Daytona.For us in the South-and my mom and myself in particular-this was a big event.Was also the first major sporting event after my wreck,and I watched it layed-up on the couch enjoying my liquid diet.MMMM!

3)My AAU basketball team.This was the year I had options:To either call it a day because all of my original core of players were now 19-20 and no longer eligible,

or to start from scratch with a new crop of 14-15 year olds.Since I had a nephew

who was 14 and he was not asked to play on the traveling squad that formed for his age group,this was a no-brainer.Then a drunk driver pulled out in front of me,and it looked certain there would be no team and no chance for me to build my program back up.But,on the day of the NFL Draft in April,just 2 1/2 months after my accident,my team took the court.....and I was on the bench.We were only able to play 7 games(going 3-4)because we missed the first 2 months of the season,but those may have been the most rewarding 7 games I've ever coached.

Oh yeah,I'll be back for the full season this year,with my whole team returning as well:)

2)Watching the Red Sox come from 0-3 to defeat the Yankees.When they fell down 0-3 that Saturday night to the Yankees I told my g/f Rachel that it was all but over,but I also told her I wouldnt give up hope until the last out was made.Fortunately,neither did the Sox!

1)Seeing the Sox win it all in my lifetime.Now,I'm only 28 and this seemed likely anyway,but then again you never know.In the summer of 2003 I started writing a fiction book about the Red Sox winning the World Series.I took a break from writing for fantasy football in 03 and then after my wreck,and then wrote a little here and there thinking it didnt really matter when I finished.....because something would probably keep them from winning it this year anyway.Then my computer crashed in September and took my entire writing with it.My plan was to restart it in November or after the Sox were eliminated from the playoffs.In November I started thinking of something else to write about.

Great personal reflection. Your #1 moment sure had "destiny" written all over it....then again, so did all of your other ones.

Wagner Athletic Group

#5 Panthers winning Super Bowl

#4 Braves Win World Series

#3 Hockey being officially banned all over the world

#2 The BCS being destroyed

#1 New York Yankees scandal, turns out..they cheated for every ring.

Oh..you want REAL ones..oops.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

#5 Panthers winning Super Bowl

#4 Braves Win World Series

#3 Hockey being officially banned all over the world

#2 The BCS being destroyed

#1 New York Yankees scandal, turns out..they cheated for every ring.

Oh..you want REAL ones..oops.

Hey--if that's what you remember! :D

Best Moments:

1) Cardinals win the NLCS, advance to the World Series

2) Red Sox Beat Yankees ALDS

3) Illini beat Wake Forest and become number 1 for the first time since I can remember very well. ('89 but I was 7 and didn't really follow sports as much as I do now) This was one of the few events this year where I called someone right after it happened.

4) Going to my first playoff game for any sport. Game 1 of the NLDS in St. Louis.

5) Illinois hires Ron Zook, which I predicted.

Worst Moments:

1) Cardinals lose in World Series

2) Illinois suffers another annoying, losing Football season

3) Rex Grossman goes down/Bears sign Jeff George

4) Renteria/Matheney sign elsewhere

5) Cardinals sign Matt Morris :P

Archived