1976 Pat the Patriot

swisherHOU

First, I apologize for not having an image yet. I don't know how to take a screenshot of a dvd...all I get is the window when I paste it so if anyone has any suggestions.....

Anyway....I got the NFL Films Super Bowl XI-XX dvd for christmas and was watching highlights of the 1976 season. They cut to the Patriots and pan down to a logo on the field of Pat the Patriot from what I believe was the first game of the season. But what is strange was that it's not the same Pat the Patriot. From what I could tell the body looked pretty much the same (maybe a little less detail) but the face was more of a stylized version, blue shapes or blobs that created the shadows of the eyes nose and mouth instead of the contour lines that create the outlines on the normal logo.

I know there is a story of the Patriots letting the fans vote for a new logo or keep the old one by showing the fans the logos during halftime, but from what I've read I don't believe this is it. Those accounts always say something about an american flag and something sorta like the current Elvis logo.

Again, sorry I don't have the image....I wish I had a digital camera or knew how to capture the image of the dvd. If I figure it out I'll post it.

If someone else who has the dvd knows how to capture a dvd image it's in the Super Bowl XI menu and is shown in the first 5 minutes of the 1976 season highlights.

If I'm not mistaken, Pat also alternated between pure white and peach colored flesh. Maybe those changes were concurrent with the changes in the color of the ball. Maybe I'm imagining things like the tiny robots that are secretly leaving bbq chicken wings in my mailbox.

Perhaps I shouldn't have skipped lunch today.

Try Cyberlink's PowerDVD.  I have an old version and it allows you to take screenshots.  You can download a trial version here: http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/download.jsp

THANK YOU!! It worked like a charm!

Ok, for reference here's the normal Pat the Patriot:

patthepatriot3nf.jpg

and here is a screenshot from NFL Films from the 1976 season:

patthepatriot764op.jpg

Anybody know the story behind this?

After seeing the two together the uniform is different and he looks chinese....with really strange looking ears.

Looks like a lazy paintjob.... but that's not bad.... that close to a concept idea i had back about a year ago... i may have to rekindle that old flame...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Wow. I've never seen that Patriots logo. Then again, this was the era when the Patriots home games were hardly ever on TV, or I was too young to remember them.

Maybe it's part of some special Bicentennial logo.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Maybe it's just a change when the logo was painted on the field? I think that original patriot face would be hard to paint on the turf.

I don't know...it looks like a streamlined version of the original logo. Very 70s-ish. I'm thinking they tried it out, decided it was a little too creepy and went back the old version. I'm assuming this NEVER saw the light of day on the helmets.

Whoa. That was creepy, that midfield thing. Give me nightmares.

The proposed logo seems to be completely lost to the ages, which is odd, because we all know of the unused Nordiques wolf, the hideous St. Louis Blues alternate, and other such concepts that never saw the light of day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I vote for a crappy paint job. What I want to know is what happened to the "proposed" 1985 logo that lost an audience applause meter at Foxboro Stadium?

I really don't think it's a crappy paint job. A crappy paint job would at least resemble the face the way it is supposed to be, this looks designed to look this way.

I vote for a crappy paint job. What I want to know is what happened to the "proposed" 1985 logo that lost an audience applause meter at Foxboro Stadium?

from what i've heard, it was basically simialr to what they ended up using in 93 or whatever, flying elvis.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I remember the topic of the proprosed Patriots logo from 1976 being discussed at the old board. I'll e-mail a couple people I know who work for the Pats and see if I can get a pic of it...

Archived