Mixed Feelings

Gothamite

Wow.

I don't know how to feel about this, except that I'm glad I put a watermark on my graphics. I'm both flattered and a little miffed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5164123980&rd=1

Somebody noticed the Green Bay Packers Database (which is the flattering part) and is hotlinking to one of my graphics to sell his merchandise (which is the miffed part).

I haven't written to him yet - still trying to decide what I want to say.

I'm thinking about letting him use it if he gives me a free signed pic from his site. What do you guys think?

And for the future, what is the mechanism you use to prevent hotlinking?

Thanks!

Yeah, I noticed that, Pantone. It's also the wrong shell - it's the sparkly "pearlized" shell that they started to wear in 2000.

That having been said, I've bought from this guy before. He's the official seller of Brett Favre autographs. The autographs aren't fake, although he has a crummy sense for throwback authenticity.

http://www.brettfavreautographs.com/default.php

He's not going to give me any money. That's pretty obvious to me. I want a signed Favre throwback pic from his site, and I'm wondering if my graphic helps his auction enough to give me a pic that he usually sells for $95.

http://www.brettfavreautographs.com/produc...products_id/129

Hey, you never know.... :D

green facemask...that's weird, it's gray

flat yellow...funny, looks like that newfangled pearl finish.

yup, it's a fake...and I just noticed Pantone said pretty much teh same thing.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Not quite a fake:

THIS IS AN AUTHENTIC HELMET CUSTOMIZED LIKE BRETT WORE IN THE GAME VERSUS THE CHICAGO BEARS ON 10/31/1994

It is an authentic helmet. It's just been poorly customized - "like" the one he wore but not very much "like" it.

Fortunately, my graphic is historically accurate. :P

He's not going to give me any money. That's pretty obvious to me. I want a signed Favre throwback pic from his site, and I'm wondering if my graphic helps his auction enough to give me a pic that he usually sells for $95.

If you get aggressive, you're likely to get nothing.

Maybe if you let him know that you're willing to help him out with display graphics for his auctions, you can develop some sort of a deal where he gives you discounts in return.

Yo for real... I would be pissed...

First thing you should do is take a screenshot and a MHT of that page so you have it as proof...

Then email the guy directly, and tell him he is using your artowrk as a means of advertising his product... that is illegal..

Then tell him you want a % of the profit's he makes on the sale..

If he is not willing to give you a % of profits... I would then contact ebay and tell Ebay you are prepared to file a lawsuit againt the user and against Ebay for allowing someone to use propiertary works via their website to sell a 3rd party product.

FOR REAL! that is flat out... 100% copyright infringement!

Maybe someone mentioned this already but did anyone else notice that in the photo of Brett signing the helmets that the seller uses as "proof" that he indeed signed it shows helmets with the darker facemasks and not the gray that he is selling?

To me that doesn't prove that Brett even saw the helmet much less signed it.

I want a pic of Brett signing the exact helmet he is selling...his "proof" isn't legit to me.

The fact that the helmets in the photo don't match the sales item should be questioned by eBay if you ask me.

I saw this a lot on ebay so i put hotlinking protection on.

I used a script to edit my .htaccess at first but that was killing the images on my own site at times -- i noticed in my site's control panel there is an option for hot link protection, where i just entered in the sites i would allow to use my image.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I saw this a lot on ebay so i put hotlinking protection on.

I used a script to edit my .htaccess at first but that was killing the images on my own site at times -- i noticed in my site's control panel there is an option for hot link protection, where i just entered in the sites i would allow to use my image.

Unfortunately, none of this is an option if you're on Tripod/Angelfire/Geocities. Your best bet if you wanted to block the image from being used is to move the file and replace it with something else (something profane or funny, an ad for your site, etc.).

Is using this really copyright infringement? It's not as if he removed the watermark; credit is given to the source...

I don't know why this seller even bothered to include your image in the listing. It's not like it really adds anything; clearly a picture of Favre in that helmet would be much better.

ptcd158.jpg

On a side note, why is the "82 yds passing" worth noting?

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Is using this really copyright infringement?  It's not as if he removed the watermark; credit is given to the source...

Well, he doesn't really credit the source. I changed the watermark to reflect the new address which should be in effect later today (the old one was "Green Bay Packers Uniform Database"). Plus some of the descriptive text is mine, with no attribution.

He's also hotlinking, which is stealing my bandwidth.

On a side note, why is the "82 yds passing" worth noting?

It was known as the "Monsoon Game" because the rain and wind were so strong on that Halloween Eve. Under those conditions, 82 yards might well have been six hundred. :D

LOL!

Hey, would you guys please try to access my new site?

www.packersuniforms.com

I'm trying from machines where I'm not logged onto Lycos, and the site seems to be password-protected. Don't know where that's coming from, and want to make sure that others aren't having the same problem.

Archived