Nba-baseball cross-over set

epper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 more added:

Hornets: Very simple, sharp identity works well IMO. The yellow added into the colour scheme is starting to grow on me

Knicks: I went for a very Yankees-esque sytle with this one.

Magic: I know they just got new jerseys (which is the absolute most un-necessary uni change in history), but i refuse to let their awesome workmark go to waste in favour of the new generic lettering. I think these turned out quite well. I also made the hat logo from scratch, because the magic have no "letter" logo

Epper:

Churnin' them out at a feverish pace, it seems ... with no drop-off in quality, from what I can see.

New Orleans:  This concept really gets the message across that this team is no longer the Charlotte Hornets.  No pinstripes to be found, anywhere.  But that's fine.  It gives a cleaner finished product.  Editing the basketball in the Hornet's hand to a baseball makes the baseball a little too disproportionate for my tastes, but then again, we are talking about a cartoon insect.  There's room for artistic creative license.  Multicolored piping gives the uniforms an intriguing unique touch too.  Never seen it done with 3 colors before, and does anyone do it with 2 currently besides the Atlanta Braves?

New York:  The desire to emulate the Yankee look with Knick elements is obvious.  To enhance it, maybe the home uniform should have the NYK logo without the orange circle behind it.  It might make the home a little too plain, but since it is New York, and it is supposed to be Yankee-like, that wouldn't be terrible.  I also would have edited the "New York" from the Knicks wordmark that you're placing on the sleeves.  I might have also used the Knicks wordmark on the blue alternate.  I find it somewhat interesting that the Mets, whose colors are similar to the Knicks', had very little influence on your finished product.  Had there been more black and more drop shadows, there would have been more Met elements.  Lastly, it seems like a wise decision to not edit the basketball in the Knick primary into a baseball.  The way you laid out these uniforms, there was no place really to put such an edited logo, anyway.

Orlando:  Glad you agree that the uniform change for the Magic was unnecessary, at best.  The arched Magic wordmark works well on a baseball uniform, and the diagonal Orlando on the road gray is sharp as well.  Interesing that you put the star on top of the O for the cap logo, as a lot of cases where a star and an initial are involved result in the initial being put over the star (old Astros hats, old Vanderbilt baseball hats).  It works though.  I might have made the alternate hat a different color than black though, just so the logo you put on it stands out better.  Blue, or silver maybe, would be my suggestion.

So if you're going through the NBA alphabetically, is there a reason why the two-time defending Eastern Conference champions have been skipped over?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

the reason i didnt do the nets, is simply because the name makes no sense as a baseball team. works for basketball, or even hockey, but there are no nets in baseball! (other than maybe the catchnet behind the backstop)

Terrific work epper! It's obvious that you've really poored your heart and soul into these concepts.

IMHO, the "Top 6" are (in descending order) the Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Los Angeles Clippers, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies and Golden State Warriors.

i like the Boston Celtics as well, though I'm not a fan of the pinstripes whatsoever.

Brian in Boston

Wow great work on the Hornets, Knicks and Magic! Nice to see the old wordmark being used!

Surely you have to do the Nets somehow!! Can't leave the poor guys out!  :o  

Anyway looking forward to the next batch already!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

well, since everyone begged for it, i decided to do the New Jersey Nets x-over, and man, do i ever like the result. i think its my favourite of the set so far! Dont ask me what that little creature on the sleeve is, or what it has to do with the nets, but i thought it was a cool alt. sleeve logo. kinda like that weird elephant on the A's sleeves

On the other hand, i completed the Sixers concept, and it turns out to be my least favourite so far.......dont know what it is about it. im lookin for suggestions on this one

Epper:

I waited patiently, since I knew you'd have to get to this part of the alphabet eventually.  Now that they're here, here's what I have to say:

New Jersey:  I see that you incorporated the unique trim that the Nets use.  Good move.  I would lose the neck treatment of red white & blue ... it gave me the impression that they were medalists whose medals were cut off.  The Nets helped you out by actually having a gray uniform, and you actually didn't copy it verbatim onto the road grays, which is fine.  What you did with them will work for me.  The nubmer on the roads could stand to be red or blue, but it works in white as well.  I might have done some additional editing to the main Nets logo by removing the red ring and putting red baseball stitches on a silver baseball.  Either the road or the alternate cap could be silver-billed.  Lastly, I might put some contrasting piping on the neck and down the button front of the navy alternate, just so people don't think from a distance that it's a dreaded pullover.  Better yet, just make it a pullover and remove all doubt.

Philadelphia: No need to be so hard on yourself with the Sixers concept.  That's what I'm here for ... just kidding.  I enjoy seeing the "P" on the hats, as opposed to the "76."  Nice to see the "76" represented on the alternate blues though.  While I don't oppose seeing "76ers" on the road gray, I might have done an arched "PHILA" across those, to give some retro nod without totally making in a retro jersey.  What is it about the 76ers that makes them so big on the retro scene anyway?  I do like how on the hat, the black star outlined in red on a black crown gives an outlined star effect, much like the Houston Astros caps post-rainbow era.  And the obligatory basketball edit into a baseball is so obvious I shouldn't even mention it.  Oh wait.

It's not just the idea that I like, I also like how it's executed.  Keep it up, epper.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

For some of the basketball-to-baseball conversions, have you thought about showing the stitching along the seams of the ball?  That's what really makes baseballs look unique.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived