Best Hats

broysox

I have all three reds hats, red home, black road and all red(the one that is listed as an alternate but the only time I can remember them wearing it was for one series in 1999) The all red one is my favorite, I can't wear the red home one anymore because it's too small, and the black one which I got last year fits a little small I guess my head grew, the only time I can wear is about week after I get a haircut. a friend told me that there is a way to break something that makes it stretch more, does anyone know how to do this?

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the 59/50s, but the wide variety in hats that are supposed to be the same size is bothersome.

I have a Phillies hat, listed as 7 1/4, that's too big for my head. Then I have a Cardinals hat, listed 7 3/8, that I couldn't squeeze on my head this morning, and I got my hair cut yesterday. What gives?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The first thing I do is run the crown of the cap -- inside and out -- under water in the sink.  It needs to get good and soaked.  Then I just put it on my head and shape it w/ my hands.  It ends up somewhere between the high crown of a brand new hat and the low-profile look.  It shrinks as it dries, but cos I buy it big it ends up fitting comfortably and looking relaxed.

The best way I found to break in my 59Fiftys is to wear it in the shower for 5 minutes - same basic effect as Amare's technique, and it molds to your head. Hope for a sunny day, and let it dry out while on your head, shaped as you want it. You may need to do it 2 or 3 times, but I got rid of the high crown on my 59Fiftys this way and they kept the shape I wanted.

Im testing this now, it seems to be working great.

thanks.

Old school hats are just so awesome.

rbripley, I've never seen that Pirates hat ('41-'42).  I like it except for the white band.

Thanks! But I think the white band is what makes it so supremely cool and unique as a vintage.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

I have all three reds hats, red home, black road and all red(the one that is listed as an alternate but the only time I can remember them wearing it was for one series in 1999) The all red one is my favorite, I can't wear the red home one anymore because it's too small, and the black one which I got last year fits a little small I guess my head grew, the only time I can wear is about week after I get a haircut. a friend told me that there is a way to break something that makes it stretch more, does anyone know how to do this?

Check out the New Era site, and see Cap Info, where it tells you how to "stretch" a cap that's too tight. The info you're looking for is all the way at the bottom of the page. The technique does work, good luck!

Moose

The first thing I do is run the crown of the cap -- inside and out -- under water in the sink.  It needs to get good and soaked.  Then I just put it on my head and shape it w/ my hands.  It ends up somewhere between the high crown of a brand new hat and the low-profile look.  It shrinks as it dries, but cos I buy it big it ends up fitting comfortably and looking relaxed.

The best way I found to break in my 59Fiftys is to wear it in the shower for 5 minutes - same basic effect as Amare's technique, and it molds to your head. Hope for a sunny day, and let it dry out while on your head, shaped as you want it. You may need to do it 2 or 3 times, but I got rid of the high crown on my 59Fiftys this way and they kept the shape I wanted.

Im testing this now, it seems to be working great.

thanks.

Say you did this with a Cardinals or Phillies hat... would the red bleed into the white giving you a pink logo? I'd suspect it would.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Amare and Chippert: sorry to be anal about this, but I want to try you guys suggestions about shaping a 5950. What size should I get? When you talk about the fingers, do you mean two fingers on EACH side of the hat, for four total? Or two on one side or the other, but only two fingers at a time? Will this "shrink" it to have somewhat the same profile as a franchise, but wool? Thanks for the info...

{a bad Mets cap}

I love these, especially w/ the black jerseys.

But it's black, with an NY in blue, outlined by white, with an orange drop shadow. What's wrong with blue with an orange NY? Keep it simple.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Funny you should ask, BBTV.

I did it for both my Phillies and red Cardinals hats. Neither bled. In fact, the white "P" only got discolored from sweat to a sickly biege on its bottom half. The top of the P is white as ever.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

1_640.jpg

I love these, especially w/ the black jerseys.

That's the only time that they should wear those caps EVER. Anything other than that, just looks nasty.

I just bought my high school alma mater's baseball hat, and it is real nice. They are one of those baseball game hats made by The Game. One reason I really like it is because it has a soft cotton sweatband. It feels really comfortable. I think a few college teams use baseball hats by The Game. San Diego State is one that I can think of off the top of my head.

Funny you should ask, BBTV.

I did it for both my Phillies and red Cardinals hats. Neither bled. In fact, the white "P" only got discolored from sweat to a sickly biege on its bottom half. The top of the P is white as ever.

Thx VD.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived