Yanks in the cellar

FiddySicks

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I actually laughed out loud watching the 10th inning of that game last night. Tino "Defensive Purposes" Martinez not getting a single out on that bases loaded grounder; Kendall getting hit with an 0-2 pitch; A-Rod making an error; it was comedy gold.

That was ridiculous. How in the world do you commit three or so errors with two outs left, and allow 3 runs without a ball leaving the infield??? You'd think they'd get one just to get off the field :blink:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suppose a lot of people are going to come on here and get their kicks in.

And that's fine. If your idea of rooting for your team is celebrating the failure of another, that's your deal and I'm in no position to stop you.

It's just slightly bemusing to see some people behave the way Yankee fans have been accused of behaving in the past.

I suppose the bright side in all this is...we'll finally get to prove to everyone that 99.9% of us are devoted to our team through thick and thin, and not the bunch of fair-weather bandwagonning ship-jumping rats everyone makes us out to be.

Carry on.

Yes.

I'd apologize that i find joy in the plight of the Yankees, cuz i try not to take pleasure in the pain of others. But Waffles, lets be a bit less melodramatic. You fluffing guys have rubbed it in our face for ever. Its like the bully from elementry school who finally gets his ass kicked by the older middle school/jr. high bully, and expects you to feel bad for him.

Its nice to see someone else win. I dont care if they are in second or fifth...im sick of them always there.

Respect, but id rather see the sox or orioles win it...for a while.

This may not be the Yanks century...who knows. Sure seems like they have had their own curse since 2000.

on another note, justine bateman is probably the worst actress ever.

to quote peter griffin.

knicks suck yankees suck jets suck.

Now wait a sec... I take a little offense at the idea that the Cards aren't one of "the better NL teams." Never mind the Cards have, if I'm not mistaken, the most World Series titles of any of the NL clubs (yes, yes, second to the Yanks), had the top record in MLB last year, etc, etc, etc. And in the all-important category of "What have you done for me lately," the Cards have made the playoffs four of the last five yeras, winning three division titles, making the NLCS three times and the World Series once.

We're not talking cupcakes or flukes here. :P

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

As far as the Yankees health goes, no one else is injured that I can think of. Unless they're waiting for Ruben Sierra to come back and save them. And Jaret Wright's injury may be the best thing for them, since his ERA was over 8 (or was it 9?) I hate to break it to Yankee fans, but the O's probably won't collapse; even if they play .500 ball for the next 2 months, they'll be close enough to make a move for a front line starter. As for Steinbrenner getting someone, the Yankees have no one worth trading. They brought up Cano to allegedly showcase him, and he's made 2 errors in 2 games.

The Yankees are a collection of old men; guys like Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada aren't going to get much better this year. Kevin Brown's done; Mussina's done; everyone that plays 1st for them is a mess. This is not a well thought out team; there's no Brosius, no O'Neill; if this team loses guys like Sheffield will bitch and moan. This team's ripe for a fall.

This is all true, although Bernie can still hit and should be the DH. I have been afraid of this moment for about 4 years now after the Yankees lost game 7 of 2001 and George went crazy. This team right now makes me think of the 1998 Baltimore Orioles. That team had the highest payroll going into the season all sorts of big signing and the collapsed because they were all high payed and old.

There's a good article on espn.com by Buster Olney, it is the epilogue to his book Last Night of the Yankees Dynasty. It talks about how George went crazy after the loss to the D-Backs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=2051491

The Yankees World Championship teams were built when George was banned from baseball. When he came back in 1993 the team started to win so he stayed out of player decisions. The team was in 1st in 94 at the time of the strike. They won the wild-card in 95 and after there spectacular loss to the M's he went a little crazy wich led to the exit of Michael as gm and Showalter and his coaches. Torre and Watson entered for 96. Then they won 4 or the next 6 World Series. Watson resigned shortly before training camp in 98 and Cashman entered as GM.

George went nuts after the D-backs loss. The didn't need to sign Jason Giambi, they had the perfect guy in the minors to replace Tino in Nick Johnson (who right now is hitting over .300 for the Nats). Trading for Aaron Boone and giving up their top left handed pitching prospect in a panic move was a mistake and that was entirely George. Sheffield was a mistake too. The Weaver trades nearly killed the Franchise. The traded Lefty Ted Lilly (who was an All-Star last year) for Jeff Weaver who busted. They then traded Weaver in a panic move after letting Pettitte go for Kevin, I suck, Brown. The Worst move was not redigning Pettitte and that falls again entirely on George.

When ever George has touched the team the team has underachived and lost. He let the baseball people tak over when he first bought the team in 70's. He got involved in the 80's and the lost. The Baseball people ran the team in the 90's they won and in the 2000's George once again is invovled and they have 3 spectacular losses in a row.

As long as George sits back and just pays the check the Yankees are fine. But right now I don't think the Yanks will win it all again untill there is a new owner or if George gets banned again. I'm a Yankees fan and i hope that is not true but right now I am very frustrated with this owner and have been for 4 years. If the Yankees continue this so will the rest of the Yankee Fans and you will see another standing ovation at Yankee Stadium when it is announced that Steinbrenner isn't involved any more.

This is exactly why I do not like baseball, that and it's too boring.

I'm going to quote someone I can't remember who, but they said only boring people get bored, so you are boring not baseball.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Let me set the record straight for all of you Sissy Sox loving, Orioles behing kissing, D-Ray loving, Blue Jay loving Yankee playa haters! Even though we have had a rough start to the year on this, the 7th of May at 8 games under .500, this is JUST a slow start. All of the great Yankee teams of the 70's, some of the 80's and the mid-late 90's had slow starts, but when July, August & September came around and won the division.

If the Sox were in last place, and they have before, the city of Boston would declare a state of emergency. Now that you've finally got one over us, you act very non chalant, like you're somewhat better than us now cause u finally got one. Grow up and see that it's still 26 to 6. When the Red Sox win 21 more titles than us, then they'll be considered the greatest team in baseball. Lets see if you can beat a real team in the World Series, not saying the Cards werent good, cause they were and they won more games than the Sox. Let's see the Sox beat the Braves or the Giants or Dodgers, some of the better NL teams. Untill then, shut up and stop acting all high and mighty and just play the game and see if you can defend your title successfully.

Dude..that makes you look like a sore-loser.

I'm not gonna take a stab at the Yankees, mainly for a phrase my neighbor says..and one that I have adopted recently:

"Keep your words short and sweet, in case you have to eat them later."

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Now wait a sec... I take a little offense at the idea that the Cards aren't one of "the better NL teams." Never mind the Cards have, if I'm not mistaken, the most World Series titles of any of the NL clubs (yes, yes, second to the Yanks), had the top record in MLB last year, etc, etc, etc. And in the all-important category of "What have you done for me lately," the Cards have made the playoffs four of the last five yeras, winning three division titles, making the NLCS three times and the World Series once.

We're not talking cupcakes or flukes here. :P

But all that "best record in the NL" stuff got the Cardinals nothing but swept out of the World Series last season! ^_^

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Let me set the record straight for all of you Sissy Sox loving, Orioles behing kissing, D-Ray loving, Blue Jay loving Yankee playa haters! Even though we have had a rough start to the year on this, the 7th of May at 8 games under .500, this is JUST a slow start. All of the great Yankee teams of the 70's, some of the 80's and the mid-late 90's had slow starts, but when July, August & September came around and won the division.

If the Sox were in last place, and they have before, the city of Boston would declare a state of emergency. Now that you've finally got one over us, you act very non chalant, like you're somewhat better than us now cause u finally got one. Grow up and see that it's still 26 to 6. When the Red Sox win 21 more titles than us, then they'll be considered the greatest team in baseball. Lets see if you can beat a real team in the World Series, not saying the Cards werent good, cause they were and they won more games than the Sox. Let's see the Sox beat the Braves or the Giants or Dodgers, some of the better NL teams. Untill then, shut up and stop acting all high and mighty and just play the game and see if you can defend your title successfully.

You can throw history in anyone's faces all you want...the bottom line is the Red Sox are defending World Series champions, not the Yankees. 26 to 6 doesn't include 2004. I don't see any Canadiens fans throwing history in the face of the Tamp Bay Lightning fans.

Right now, of course the Sox fans are bit complacent. Most teams in any sport get a slight grace period the year after winning their respective league's championship (except the Yankees, who are expected to win the World Series every year). Hell, the Patriots' grace period would be ending in 2007 if they hadn't won Super Bowl Championships in 2004 or 2005.

Is it good to see the Yankees in last place? Hell yeah. It's fun to see Steinbrenner's Frankenstein creation fall apart at his feet. I do feel bad for Joe Torre, who will be the fall guy for the current decline. It's not his fault the current crop of unerachievers is playing like plop.

As far as cutting the Sox down because they played a weaker team, you are just trying to make up any excuse to ease the pain of the biggest choke in history. Didn't the Cardinals claim first place from the beginning of the season? St. Louis was hardly a weak team. Anticlimactic, yes, but not a cakewalk accomplishment.

When you finally beat the Florida Marlins in a World Series, then you might have a right to bitch about weak teams with no long tradition of success in the post season.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I don't think George will fire Torre, but it will be interesting to see if he fires Stottlemyre, I belive if he gets fired Torre will quit. George and Joe had problems in 2003 which led to Zimmer leaving because the way George treated the coaches. I think if Joe looses another one of his long time coached because of George then he will walk away. Then the team will be in another 80's tail spin.

It's interesting now that the Sox have won the series. In past years there is no way George would have never come close to losing Torre as the Red Sox would have fired who ever their manager was to hire him. In fact after Torre's managerial contract runs out he has a lifetime consulting contract with the Yankees. However, with the Sox winning last year that risk of him going to the Sox is all but gone (I'm guessing they wouldn't fire Francona). However I still think George doesn't want to risk losing Torre.

However the one guy that needs to get fired won't That is Cashman because George can control him and go behind his back like he couldn't with Michael and Watson. Although Cashman wants out desperatly.

I don't think there will be any changes, if there would have been, it would have happened last year after the ALCS. I think that is because if Torre leaves most if not all the coaching staff will leave with him.

Now wait a sec... I take a little offense at the idea that the Cards aren't one of "the better NL teams."  Never mind the Cards have, if I'm not mistaken, the most World Series titles of any of the NL clubs (yes, yes, second to the Yanks), had the top record in MLB last year, etc, etc, etc.  And in the all-important category of "What have you done for me lately," the Cards have made the playoffs four of the last five yeras, winning three division titles, making the NLCS three times and the World Series once.

We're not talking cupcakes or flukes here.  :P

But all that "best record in the NL" stuff got the Cardinals nothing but swept out of the World Series last season! ^_^

Hey, you, you're supposed to be agreeing with me here... 'cause the guy I responded to was trying to make it like the Sox beat the Devil Rays in the Series or somesuch.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Now wait a sec... I take a little offense at the idea that the Cards aren't one of "the better NL teams."  Never mind the Cards have, if I'm not mistaken, the most World Series titles of any of the NL clubs (yes, yes, second to the Yanks), had the top record in MLB last year, etc, etc, etc.  And in the all-important category of "What have you done for me lately," the Cards have made the playoffs four of the last five yeras, winning three division titles, making the NLCS three times and the World Series once.

We're not talking cupcakes or flukes here.  :P

Hey, you, you're supposed to be agreeing with me here... 'cause the guy I responded to was trying to make it like the Sox beat the Devil Rays in the Series or somesuch.

I know that, but I had to get in a dig at the Cards! :P

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

II'm not gonna kick at teh Yankees while they're floundering. As a lifetime Blue Jays fan, I will say, it's good to look at teh standings, see a team OTHER than New York at the top of the division, and believe that we have a team doing better than the Yankees for once.

Let's Go Blue Jays!

When was the last time you could honestly say that the Blue Jays were doing better than the Yanks after one month?

2001. I believe the Blue Jays were in first place after April,

yeah and that was the year that the Diamondbacks won the World Series :D:P

As a Royals fan, that statement encompasses nearly everything I find so annoying about Yankee fans that makes me want to hate them so much...I'm sorry, but the Cards were by FAR the best regular season team in baseball last year (and appear to be again this year). So their pitching wasn't quite up to snuff against a team like the Sox last year...Let me let you in on a little secret. I don't care if Boston had to play the '27 Yankees in the Series last year, it was going to be a sweep after what they did to the Yanks. They were on too big of a high to let anyone beat them after that.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Yeah, the Cards actually would've probably beat the Yankees last year. Those pitchers that got lit up by the Sox, would've been hit just as hard by St. Louis.

Torre would be crazy to quit; Stienbrenner owes him too much money on his contract. Stottlemyre probaby won't get fired because he's going to retire after this season. Cashman's contract ends this season, so he could go early; my guess is he won't come back anyway. I heard talk about firing Roy White, because those first base coaches really have an impact on a pitching staff.

As a Royals fan, that statement encompasses nearly everything I find so annoying about Yankee fans that makes me want to hate them so much...I'm sorry, but the Cards were by FAR the best regular season team in baseball last year (and appear to be again this year). So their pitching wasn't quite up to snuff against a team like the Sox last year...Let me let you in on a little secret. I don't care if Boston had to play the '27 Yankees in the Series last year, it was going to be a sweep after what they did to the Yanks. They were on too big of a high to let anyone beat them after that.

Please please please please don't think that guy speaks for all of us.

We're just like any other fans. Most of us are decent enough...it's just the loud, annoying ones that get the attention and give us a largely undeserved reputation.

Sure, my grin is a bit wider when I notice the Yankees are in the cellar. Then I move on to look at the other teams and check my fantasy baseball stats.

There are always going to be Yankee fans and Yankee haters. But not so much of it is a born-into feeling, like growing up outside of New York or Boston. Too many of them are fans or haters because it's trendy. The whole country is Red Sox fans? I doubt it. Maybe people like a feel-good story. Or they just want to see the Yankees lose. Don't know.

When all is said and done, the true Yankees fans and true Red Sox fans will go back to their hatred for one another, and ignoring the other teams unless we're playing them.

At least until September 1.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived